Old June 3rd 12, 10:24 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London
Default City Thameslink Station

I use public transport mainly at weekends so my experiences almost
certainly are not representative of what most people have to contend with.

When I pass through City Thameslink Station at weekends it seems
almost a ghost station, with no passengers in sight. How busy is
this station from Monday to Friday?

Old June 3rd 12, 03:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin9" wrote in message

I use public transport mainly at weekends so my experiences almost
certainly are not representative of what most people have to contend
with.

When I pass through City Thameslink Station at weekends it seems
almost a ghost station, with no passengers in sight. How busy is
this station from Monday to Friday?

It's extremely quiet outside the peaks on Mon - Fri as well, in my
experience.

I think this is probably because it isn't really a destination in its own
right, and there are no signed interchanges with the underground (although
St Pauls on the Central line is not that far from the northern entrance.)

I suspect it has no advantage for offpeak travellers and tourists over the
stations either side.

Paul S

Old June 3rd 12, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 03/06/2012 16:35, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 11:24:33 +0100, Robin9
wrote:

Don't know about M-F off peak though.

One could say just from a glance that passenger volumes are respectable,
though I have no stats on that.
Old June 3rd 12, 09:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 3, 11:24*am, Robin9 wrote:
When I pass through City Thameslink Station at weekends it seems
almost a ghost station, with no passengers in sight. How busy is
this station from Monday to Friday?

According to the official station usage estimates for 2010/11, City
Thameslink was the network's 60th busiest station. This suggests that
the station can get quite busy; as others have said it's main custom
is business people.

PhilD

Old June 4th 12, 07:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I never liked the name. It does not really give one an idea of where it is.
A reasonable name might have been LUDGATE.

Old June 4th 12, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On 04/06/2012 09:35, Jim wrote:

It couldn't really have been LUDGATE because one entrance is at Holborn
Viaduct.

I much preferred the original name of ST PAUL'S THAMESLINK but
presumably this was changed to avoid confusion with St Pauls underground
station.

Why not Ludgate Thameslink, then?

However the idea of naming a double ended station for only one of its ends
seems to be considered OK for Crossrail, although we don't know yet what
they'll actually display at their entrances or on the platform fascias.

Paul S

Old June 4th 12, 12:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 11:24:33 +0100, Robin9 wrote:

When I pass through City Thameslink Station at weekends it seems almost
a ghost station, with no passengers in sight. How busy is this station
from Monday to Friday?

Since the nice new Bankside entrance to Blackfriars has opened, which is
near my office, I've found myself using Thameslink fairly regularly when
heading towards northwards - but given the extremely short distance
between City Thameslink and Blackfriars (and really, between Farringdon
and City Thameslink) why you'd want to keep City Thameslink there at all?