Old June 8th 12, 03:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Can the Railways Cope with the Olympic Crowds?

In message
, at
04:25:45 on Fri, 8 Jun 2012, CJB remarked:
But any babies being breast fed or on bottled milk wont have been born
when the ticket fiasco started - so they wont have tickets - in which
case they and their parents will not be present anyway.

That sort of feeding goes on longer than you imagine.

Old June 9th 12, 09:15 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce[_2_] View Post
Instead of making money for Britain, the whole shebang is going to
cost British taxpayers many billions of pounds. The original estimate
was a total cost of £2.4 billion. That isn't even going to pay for
security. The expected total cost is now in the region of £28 billion
and may rise even further.
I share your dislike of the way the British taxpayer has been misinformed and exploited but I'm surprised at your figure of £ 28 billion. How did you arrive at that sum?
Old June 9th 12, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:15:18 on Sat, 9
Jun 2012, Robin9 remarked:
Instead of making money for Britain, the whole shebang is going to
cost British taxpayers many billions of pounds. The original estimate
was a total cost of £2.4 billion. That isn't even going to pay for
security. The expected total cost is now in the region of £28 billion
and may rise even further.

I share your dislike of the way the British taxpayer has been

misinformed and exploited but I'm surprised at your figure of £ 28

billion. How did you arrive at that sum?

Even the Daily Mail only talked it up to 24bn, comprising (roughly):

12bn as an estimate for the games themselves, assuming 3m overspend on
the 9bn budget.

5bn as the cost of counter-terrorism and security services ("normal"
policing costs are elsewhere).

7bn on upgrading transport infrastructure and running extra services.

Old June 9th 12, 10:32 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Neill wrote:
I got my Olympic tickets for the weightlifting at the Excel yesterday. No liquids,
airport style security, just to get in the venue. Does that mean take
your belt and shoes off just to get into a sporting event that costs
£95 for 2 hours? I wonder how much they're going to fleece you for a
bottle of water once you get in? I paid for the tickets just for the
Olympic experience, I have no interest in weightlifing. I'm now
wondering why I bothered

There were a lot of the same stupid restrictions in Sydney too. Blame those mumping
villans at the IOC and their corporate overlords, not LOCOG.

Funnily enough, weightlifting was one of the events I went to in Sydney on spec. I had,
and still have, no ongoing interest in weightlifting. And it was damn near the best
evening I spent(*). I thought it was like high jump; start at a low weight, everyone has
3 goes, the successful ones go on to the next height. Nope. You get 3 lifts, period.
You choose the weights. It's poker, but all the chips weight a ton. Raw sport, too.
No fancy shoes or running suit is going to help. You. Chalk-dust. Big weight. Get on with it.

So I'd urge you to go. And if you don't want you, I'll have your tickets. I applied
for weightlifting and was unsuccessful.

BTW, I got my bag searched and a pad-down going into Lords last month. This ****e is
not restricted to the Olympics these days.

(*) Before you start thinking the only other event I can have been to was Greco-Roman
wrestling, I was lucky in Sydney. Main stadium twice, for men's 100 final and the hot
ticket for the locals, women's 400m. Plus 3 days at the rowing, incluing men's eight
final, hockey and the football final.
--
Jim Hague - Never trust a computer you can't lift.