Old February 26th 08, 09:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The barriers at Euston platforms 8-11 cannot cope

The barriers at Euston platforms 8-11 cannot cope with the volume of
people trying to get through them.

http://www.woodall.me.uk/img_00000010.jpeg
is a still from my bike camera (sorry the quality isn't very good but
gives some idea, especially if you already know the layout of these
platforms.)

This is about 07:25 (I arrived on the 07:01 from Watford Junction) so
this isn't the peak of the rush hour. Later trains you cannot get a seat
at Watford Junction unless you're lucky, let alone Harrow and
Wealdstone.

I'm approximately at the back of the crowd, there aren't that many
people behind me. But a fair few must have already gone through the
barrier before I got there because I sit at the extreme Northern end of
the train and unfold my bike before I walk down the platform.

Tim.

and there was light.

Old February 26th 08, 10:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 26, 10:43 pm, Tim Woodall wrote:
The barriers at Euston platforms 8-11 cannot cope with the volume of
people trying to get through them.

http://www.woodall.me.uk/img_00000010.jpeg
is a still from my bike camera (sorry the quality isn't very good but
gives some idea, especially if you already know the layout of these
platforms.)

This is about 07:25 (I arrived on the 07:01 from Watford Junction) so
this isn't the peak of the rush hour. Later trains you cannot get a seat
at Watford Junction unless you're lucky, let alone Harrow and
Wealdstone.

I'm approximately at the back of the crowd, there aren't that many
people behind me. But a fair few must have already gone through the
barrier before I got there because I sit at the extreme Northern end of
the train and unfold my bike before I walk down the platform.

Was it like this a year ago?

Old February 27th 08, 12:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 26, 10:43 pm, Tim Woodall wrote:
The barriers at Euston platforms 8-11 cannot cope with the volume of
people trying to get through them.

I've not been stuck as far back as you seem to be -- most of the
trains I get from LBZ to EUS in peak are fast ones, arrive outside of
the locals, or I get off at Harrow (which is hard work), but last time
I took a train (packed 09:40 arriving c.10:10 into Euston, first
offpeak from MKC and north I believe), it took me 5 minutes to get
from the back of the train to the waiting overground ~10:17 departure
for stations north on platform 9.

http://www.woodall.me.uk/img_00000010.jpeg
is a still from my bike camera (sorry the quality isn't very good but
gives some idea, especially if you already know the layout of these
platforms.)

What camera?

/me just been shaken by an earthquake. In Bedfordshire. Shocking.
Old February 27th 08, 01:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27 Feb, 01:05, Paul Weaver wrote:
On Feb 26, 10:43 pm, Tim Woodall wrote:

The barriers at Euston platforms 8-11 cannot cope with the volume of
people trying to get through them.

I've not been stuck as far back as you seem to be -- most of the
trains I get from LBZ to EUS in peak are fast ones, arrive outside of
the locals, or I get off at Harrow (which is hard work), but last time
I took a train (packed 09:40 arriving c.10:10 into Euston, first
offpeak from MKC and north I believe), it took me 5 minutes to get
from the back of the train to the waiting overground ~10:17 departure
for stations north on platform 9.

http://www.woodall.me.uk/img_00000010.jpeg
is a still from my bike camera (sorry the quality isn't very good but
gives some idea, especially if you already know the layout of these
platforms.)

What camera?

Mr Woodall appears to have a nifty video camera attached to his bike.
I don't know whether it is intended for the purpose of capturing
evidence of bad driving, but it certainly has in one particular
instance that Tim relays to the uk.rec.cycling newsgroup (UIVMM the
incident occurs on Pentonville Road travelling east down towards the
Angel) - see the thread here (includes a link to the recording):

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....2d14a1efec30e/

/me just been shaken by an earthquake. In Bedfordshire. Shocking.

But in London I felt nothing! I was however in a car when it was
supposed to have happened, we were a bit perplexed when suddenly at a
quarter past one we started to hear reports of this tremor on the
radio. We may have been a little distracted around the time of the
tremor by an inebriated gentleman who's bus hailing technique was that
of standing in the middle of the road nowhere near a bus stop
gesticulating wildly whilst the bus swerved around him. That said, I
would suggest that in London at least it is fairly easy to drop one's
guard and become distracted from watching/listening/feeling out for an
earthquake. But from now on I'll be on full alert, those pesky tremors
won't catch me unawares!

A distinctly and disappointingly unshaken Mizter T!

Old February 27th 08, 06:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Earthquake bicycles

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....frm/thread/ee4...

/me just been shaken by an earthquake. In Bedfordshire. Shocking.

But in London I felt nothing! I was however in a car when it was
supposed to have happened, we were a bit perplexed when suddenly at a
quarter past one we started to hear reports of this tremor on the
radio. We may have been a little distracted around the time of the
tremor by an inebriated gentleman who's bus hailing technique was that
of standing in the middle of the road nowhere near a bus stop
gesticulating wildly whilst the bus swerved around him. That said, I
would suggest that in London at least it is fairly easy to drop one's
guard and become distracted from watching/listening/feeling out for an
earthquake. But from now on I'll be on full alert, those pesky tremors
won't catch me unawares!

A distinctly and disappointingly unshaken Mizter T!

I followed the link but I couldn't see anything about an earthquake. I
saw a video of a road, though.
Old February 27th 08, 08:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 26, 11:42 pm, Offramp wrote:
[...]

Don't know. A year ago I was regularly going swimming and came in on
the 06:27 from Watford and there's no problem of crowding at Euston.
One of these days I'll give up my extra half hour in bed and start
going swimming again.

There's another train that arrives at approximately the same time.
Today it arrived just as I was getting to the barrier. I suspect
yesterday it arrived before my train so I think that's two train loads
of people you can see. Certainly when it's just my train it's not
usually that bad by the time I've got down to that end of the
platform.

Tim.
Old February 27th 08, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 27, 7:15 am, Offramp wrote:
[...]

Sorry, but that's nothing at all to do with the Earthquake. That's
just an example of my bike camera (and a particularly bad bid of
driving)

Tim.
Old February 27th 08, 08:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Junior Member

On 26 Feb, 22:43, Tim Woodall wrote:
[...]

The problem with Euston is that the staff will allow anyone and
everyone to use the gate and show their tickets. The gate is meant to
be for wheelchairs, bikes and passengers with large luggage. Using the
gate means that people do not have to take their season out of its
wallet. Or they can show a nectar card or whatever.
If the staff insisted on passengers using the barriers the flow
through would be a lot quicker. I think that the revenue would be a
lot greater as well.
Old February 27th 08, 08:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 27, 9:44 am, somersetchris wrote:
[...]

Maybe a lot do get through on Nectar cards etc but a proportion also
get stopped. I actually don't understand why people want to use the
gate because there's often a holdup when someone gets stopped
(although I suppose for people without luggage they can get past, it's
just the people with bikes, prams etc that get held up).

One day this week I noticed another Brompton rider who took his bike
through the barrier. I did ask if he had a special ticket or a special
trick but he just said you have to be quick.

I've done this but if you get the timing slightly wrong then either
you get bashed by the paddles (and it's hard enough to hurt) or they
grab the bike and then you're completely stuck until a guard comes and
opens the gate.

I'd really like to have some way of having my oyster card (or ticket
if you're a season ticket holder) flagged to hold the barrier open for
a few seconds more - five seconds would be all it would take. I know
this _could_ be abused but there's enough regular cyclists who are
using these barriers every day (I see the same 5 or six on my train
every morning) and we're recognised by at least some of the staff as
regular cyclists so it could be something like getting a form and then
getting one of the barrier guards to sign that you are a regular
cyclist and then getting some sort of flag put on your ticket (of
course, this all presupposes that the gates are even capable of having
an extended opening - I know they can stay open with the right ticket
but I don't know about a longer opening.)

Tim.