Old June 7th 12, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

Default BBC's Dire Coverage of the Thames Flotilla and other Jubillee Events

BBC's Dire Coverage of the Thames Flotilla and other Jubillee Events

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/34656

Responsible department: Department for Culture, Media and Sport

We the undersigned are appalled at the BBC's dire coverage and
reporting of the Jubilee events especially during the Thames Flotilla
on Sunday June 3. We are particularly concerned at the lack of
professionalism with regards to the presentation, editing and camera
angles. We are shocked at the use of the term 'Her Royal Highness'
when referring to Her Majesty the Queen. We are appalled at the total
lack of knowledge shown by the presenters of the individual boats
appearing in the Flotilla, especially regarding the Historic Boats and
the 'Little Boats of Dunkirk.' We were most disappointed that the
Spirit of Chartwell was not shown passing through Tower Bridge. This
programme was transmitted worldwide and was a national embarrassment.
We are also concerned that the Olympics will be likewise dumbed down.

Old June 7th 12, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"CJB" wrote in message

[...]

We would also like our TV licence fee doubled to £291.00 per year, to take
effect immediately, in order to make sure that these once every 300 year
occasions, like the Flotilla, get better coverage next time ;-)

Old June 7th 12, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 11:37:39 +0100, "Harry Stottle"
wrote:

"CJB" wrote in message

[...]

I wonder what the net cost was to the BBC? The pictures were sold to
the worldwide media, so it might actually have made a profit. I also
think the Beeb did a better job on the Monday and Tuesday, so perhaps
it had focused its efforts on those days? And I wonder if the rain
killed some of the cameras, thus limiting the views available? It
certainly caused audio problems.
Old June 7th 12, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MB MB is offline

On 07/06/2012 11:37, Harry Stottle wrote:
"CJB" wrote in message

[...]

Perhaps a petition about why ITV chose to cover a tennis match rather
than a major state occasion like this.

Old June 7th 12, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 07/06/2012 11:04, CJB wrote:

[...]

Any particular reason you've posted this twice? And that's leaving aside
the fact it's undoubtedly off-topic for two of the three newsgroups
you've cross-posted to.

Perhaps we should start a petition against those who flagrantly abuse
usenet netiquette?

Old June 7th 12, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 07/06/2012 11:47, Recliner wrote:
I wonder what the net cost was to the BBC? The pictures were sold to
the worldwide media, so it might actually have made a profit. I also
think the Beeb did a better job on the Monday and Tuesday, so perhaps
it had focused its efforts on those days? And I wonder if the rain
killed some of the cameras, thus limiting the views available?

Not as far as I know.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old June 7th 12, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mizter T formulated on Thursday :
On 07/06/2012 11:04, CJB wrote:
.

Any particular reason you've posted this twice? And that's leaving aside the
fact it's undoubtedly off-topic for two of the three newsgroups you've
cross-posted to.

Perhaps we should start a petition against those who flagrantly abuse usenet
netiquette?

What is Off Topic about it. The topic is BBC coverage of the Flotilla
and that is what the said petition is about.

Old June 7th 12, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jun 7, 11:50*am, Mizter T wrote:

[...]

It was inadvertantly posted twice due to a snafu with the Google
Groups server. CJB.
Old June 7th 12, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu 07 Jun 2012, MB wrote:

Perhaps a petition about why ITV chose to cover a tennis match rather
than a major state occasion like this.

Have you thought about how many cameras and cameramen are needed to
cover an event like this? It's quite mind boggling! I remember Princess
Di's funeral when I know they were employing wedding cameramen with sub
broadcast equipment to make up the numbers. No wonder some of the
coverage was poor and it always will be with the dumbed down, casualised
TV industry we now have.

I think ITV made a very good decision not to even attempt to cover it.
As an ex-BBC cameraman myself what upsets me most is that Sky apparently
did a better job than the BBC! This does not bode well for the BBC and
gives ammunition to its knockers, but I'm sad to say they have brought
about their own demise.

Cheers John

--
John Bennett johndotbennettatsmartemaildotcodotuk
Old June 7th 12, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 07/06/2012 15:36, John Bennett wrote:
On Thu 07 Jun 2012, MB wrote:

Perhaps a petition about why ITV chose to cover a tennis match rather
than a major state occasion like this.

Have you thought about how many cameras and cameramen are needed to
cover an event like this? It's quite mind boggling! I remember Princess
Di's funeral when I know they were employing wedding cameramen with sub
broadcast equipment to make up the numbers.

Who are "they"?

No wonder some of the
coverage was poor and it always will be with the dumbed down, casualised
TV industry we now have.

I think ITV made a very good decision not to even attempt to cover it.
As an ex-BBC cameraman myself

Ah, /that/ John Bennett.