Old June 12th 12, 01:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube Wifi

Roland Perry wrote:

As for having a landline, I need it for ADSL. I also think it's a bit
rude to expect friends and family to call an expensive mobile number
rather than a landline.

Not expensive if they are calling from their mobile and are also on a
contract with free minutes.

Indeed my latest O2 contract is for unlimited (no doubt with fair use
policy) calls to landlines and mobiles.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.
Old June 12th 12, 01:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

I'd be expecting most of the calls from other landlines.

A generational thing I think. I have a landline but pretty much never use
it. As soon as I can get Internet access to my house without it (not a
cabled area) I will get rid of it.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.
Old June 12th 12, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message

..net, at 13:01:50 on Tue, 12 Jun 2012, Neil Williams
remarked:
As for having a landline, I need it for ADSL. I also think it's a bit
rude to expect friends and family to call an expensive mobile number
rather than a landline.

Not expensive if they are calling from their mobile and are also on a
contract with free minutes.

Indeed my latest O2 contract is for unlimited (no doubt with fair use
policy) calls to landlines and mobiles.

If you spend enough money each month, then you get things free. Not many
of my callers are that kind of user. Indeed, not all are in the UK.

Old June 12th 12, 07:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jarle H Knudsen wrote:

While this is true, if you get a VoIP number from your internet provider,
the calls will not be routed over the regular Inernet, so this will not be
a problem. The point beeing that it's perfectly possible to provide the
same quality as POTS over IP.

Most office telephone systems are run over IP these days, indeed. Much
cheaper to install only one set of wiring.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.