Old December 22nd 09, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Edgware Road: The interchange from hell

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...re-road-the-in
terchange-from-hell.do

TfL can't say they weren't warned!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old December 22nd 09, 09:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:14:23 -0600,

wrote:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...are-road-the-i

nterchange-from-hell.do

TfL can't say they weren't warned!

I would hardly call the "article" damning nor does it reflect the
exaggerated title. It's a slightly bemused ramble about Edgware Road
station itself and a repeat of everything we already know about the
service pattern changing.

Yes, I agree. I posted the link before I'd rad to the end and wondered
where all the nightmare changing bits had gone. They're real enough.

I'm appalled and disgusted that the manifold deficiencies in passenger
information and facilities for people changing trains at Edgware Road were
not addressed in the slightest before TfL destroyed the Circle Line.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old December 22nd 09, 11:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22 Dec, 20:03, Paul Corfield wrote:
I would hardly call the "article" damning nor does it reflect the
exaggerated title.

More an indictment of a wishy-washy article than any suggestion that
Edgware Road hasn't become significantly less fit for purpose than it
already was.

--
gordon
Old December 23rd 09, 01:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...e-from-hell.do

Edgware Road cut and cover? Where's the cover?

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old December 23rd 09, 09:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 23, 12:24*am, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 16:29:01 -0600,
wrote:

I'm appalled and disgusted that the manifold deficiencies in passenger
information and facilities for people changing trains at Edgware Road were
not addressed in the slightest before TfL destroyed the Circle Line.

MX of the first week of it is that the Circle Line's atrocious
punctuality did not appear to have improved much, though it would be
genuinely interesting to see figures.

But 6tph *nowhere near* fulfils the demand that exists on the Circle
Line.

Yes it does: not very many people want to use the Circle-specific
bits.

*Might it not actually be worth considering cutting other lines
short (e.g. terminating more Met trains at Baker St) so that the
Circle frequency can be increased?

No. The core demand for passenger journeys is far greater between
Metroland and the City than between Notting Hill and the City. The
same applies for Essex-City journeys versus Liverpool St-Tower Hill
journeys.

*And could selective door opening
be used to allow a decent train length to run on the Circle?

Yes, this is part of the S-stock upgrade plans: 7-car S-stock trains
the length of current District stock will run all District, H&C and
Circle services.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old December 23rd 09, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 02:58:55 -0800 (PST), John B
wrote:

Yes it does: not very many people want to use the Circle-specific
bits.

A very large number of people want to go beyond Aldgate, though -
Tower Hill is a specific example (though perhaps education about how
Aldgate is only ten minutes' walk would help more). So maybe the
"backwards C" of the Circle Line has very high demand, while the
left-hand side doesn't.

Yes, this is part of the S-stock upgrade plans: 7-car S-stock trains
the length of current District stock will run all District, H&C and
Circle services.

Good, as the current 5-car (I think) trains run on the Circle are
completely inadequate.

Does anyone know how quick the acceleration of the S-stock is? I
think a lot more trains could be fitted into the existing track (thus
giving scope for an increase in Circle frequency even without a
decrease in other frequencies) if acceleration/deceleration and
average running speed could be brought up to the level of, say, the
Central Line.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old December 23rd 09, 11:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Neil Williams" wrote in message

Good, as the current 5-car (I think) trains run on the Circle are
completely inadequate.

6 car - but of only 16m so seems quite short. A stock is 8 x 16m, D stock
is 6 x 18.3m

Does anyone know how quick the acceleration of the S-stock is? I
think a lot more trains could be fitted into the existing track (thus
giving scope for an increase in Circle frequency even without a
decrease in other frequencies) if acceleration/deceleration and
average running speed could be brought up to the level of, say, the
Central Line.

The end game in 2018 with S stock and new signalling is shown in that LU
document posted a couple of weeks back:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...ce-Changes.pdf

32 tph peak on the north (8 H&C, 8 Circle, 16 Met) and south (24 District, 8
Circle) of the circle. So 8 tph Adgate to Tower Hill, 16 tph Edgware Rd -
Baker St.

Paul S

Old December 23rd 09, 11:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 12:26:05 -0000, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

32 tph peak on the north (8 H&C, 8 Circle, 16 Met) and south (24 District, 8
Circle) of the circle. So 8 tph Adgate to Tower Hill, 16 tph Edgware Rd -
Baker St.

That seems quite an improvement.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old December 23rd 09, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
32 tph peak on the north (8 H&C, 8 Circle, 16 Met) and south (24 District, 8
Circle) of the circle. �So 8 tph Adgate to Tower Hill, 16 tph Edgware Rd -
Baker St.

That seems quite an improvement.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Can anyone explain why, yesterday morning, I had to wait for 25
minutes at Fulham Broadway for an Eastbound train of any description?
And when it came, it was a High Street Ken train. Is this in any way
related to the new Lassoo Line, or an example of the "normal" service
to be expected at 6.15 on a weekday morning?

Marc.