Old November 23rd 12, 06:18 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Default Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

On 23/11/2012 16:24, Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding here. I'm not asking
the bus driver to vary his route to drop me off, merely to let me off
the bus at a point closer to my actual destination than the station.

This will cost all the other passengers on the bus about a minute,
for the bus to slow down, stop, and for you to gather your bits and
depart, and for the driver to set off again and get back to linespeed.

But what is the overall effect if it means large numbers of passengers
can get off where they want to be, without needing a slow crawl to a
station and then a walk back to the spot the bus just passed?

If 10 people for the centre save a few minutes each, is that always
worse than the people staying on the bus losing the minute?

I realise a replacement bus company isn't paid to think about
passengers, but the railway companies might consider what passengers are
trying to achieve with their travel.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old November 23rd 12, 06:23 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Arthur Figgis wrote:
I realise a replacement bus company isn't paid to think about
passengers, but the railway companies might consider what passengers are
trying to achieve with their travel.

Then contact the TOCs and let them know your opinion. Then they may
change the rules. Until then, we're all stuck with the status quo.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old November 23rd 12, 06:35 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On 23/11/2012 19:23, John Williamson wrote:
Arthur Figgis wrote:
I realise a replacement bus company isn't paid to think about
passengers, but the railway companies might consider what passengers
are trying to achieve with their travel.

Then contact the TOCs and let them know your opinion. Then they may
change the rules.

I don't think you've quite understood the concept of discussion groups...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old November 23rd 12, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Arthur Figgis wrote:
I realise a replacement bus company isn't paid to think about
passengers, but the railway companies might consider what passengers
are trying to achieve with their travel.

Then contact the TOCs and let them know your opinion. Then they may
change the rules.

I don't think you've quite understood the concept of discussion groups...

I understand the concept. I am also aware of the limitations of Usenet
groups. If you want things to change, you need to contact those who
organise them.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old November 23rd 12, 07:57 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Arthur Figgis wrote:
If 10 people for the centre save a few minutes each, is that always
worse than the people staying on the bus losing the minute?

It probably depends on the numbers of people in each group.

But yes, I'm quite prepared to believe that it would be better to
have a "set down only" stop in the middle of a village and then a
"set down and pick up" stop at the station in the outskirts.

But only if a lot of people are going use the former compared to the
number of people who are going to use the bus for the rest of it's
journey - and that means that it's only likely if the "village" is
actually a town, or it's the penultimate stop (or nearly penultimate).

In addition to all that, there may be some H&S issues about where
a driver may allow passengers to disenbark; I can imagine that a
risk assesment may be required for any potential drop off/pick up
site; this means that ad-hoc drop offs will be discouraged; this
will affect "emergency" bus replacement services (e.g. a "one under")
rather than planned ones (e.g. engineering work) more, as there's
less time to perform those assesments.

In the current world we live in, I can't blame bus drivers for
being risk averse.

I realise a replacement bus company isn't paid to think about
passengers, but the railway companies might consider what passengers are
trying to achieve with their travel.

Yes; but as Boltar said: Public transport is about doing the bestest
for the mostest; a door-to-door service is something you get from your
car or a taxi.

OMG, I just agreed with Boltar! I must have had too much ale!

--
Mike Bristow

Old November 24th 12, 01:36 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:57:16 on Fri,
23 Nov 2012, Mike Bristow remarked:

In addition to all that, there may be some H&S issues about where
a driver may allow passengers to disenbark; I can imagine that a
risk assesment may be required for any potential drop off/pick up
site;

It would be a bit surprising if a normal bus-stop was regarded as
unsafe.

Public transport is about doing the bestest for the mostest; a
door-to-door service is something you get from your car or a taxi.

Station to bus stop you were passing already; not door to door.
Old November 24th 12, 01:45 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 20:57:16 on Fri, 23
Nov 2012, Mike Bristow remarked:

In addition to all that, there may be some H&S issues about where
a driver may allow passengers to disenbark; I can imagine that a
risk assesment may be required for any potential drop off/pick up
site;

It would be a bit surprising if a normal bus-stop was regarded as unsafe.

I have known bus stops to be deemed unsafe for certain types of bus.

Public transport is about doing the bestest for the mostest; a
door-to-door service is something you get from your car or a taxi.

Station to bus stop you were passing already; not door to door.

No. Station to station if you are using a train service (which MAY be
provided by a bus or a taxi at the expense of the train operator)

Old November 24th 12, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In message , at
14:45:10 on Sat, 24 Nov 2012, Portsmouth Rider
remarked:

It would be a bit surprising if a normal bus-stop was regarded as unsafe.

I have known bus stops to be deemed unsafe for certain types of bus.

All bus stops unsafe with certain types of bus, or just a few stops in
combination wit a few buses?

(And once again the thread descends down a rathole where common sense
has been thrown out of the window.)