Old February 19th 07, 01:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Passenger door buttons gone on refurb D Stock

Can't LU make their minds up if they want these or not? It seems they
occilate between having them then not on various train types over the
years. Why have they been taken of the D stock? Seems a bit of a
retrograde step.

B200

Old February 19th 07, 02:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19 Feb 2007 06:50:17 -0800, "Boltar"
wrote:

Can't LU make their minds up if they want these or not? It seems they
occilate between having them then not on various train types over the
years. Why have they been taken of the D stock? Seems a bit of a
retrograde step.

They haven't been used for, ooh, seven or eight years now.

When I first moved to London (1997) the doors were only
passenger-controlled in the winter, but after a couple of years they
went to driver control at all times. I know not why. However, TTBOMK,
*no* Underground trains that have passenger-controlled door buttons
actually use them any more.
Old February 19th 07, 02:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com,
Boltar writes
Can't LU make their minds up if they want these or not? It seems they
occilate between having them then not on various train types over the
years. Why have they been taken of the D stock? Seems a bit of a
retrograde step.

They always had people stood in front of them, and lets face it how
often these days is it so cold that a bit of fresh air through the
carriage isn't welcome ?

Personally I'd like to see all door buttons gone.

--
Edward Cowling London UK
Old February 19th 07, 02:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:

Can't LU make their minds up if they want these or not? It seems they
occilate between having them then not on various train types over the
years. Why have they been taken of the D stock? Seems a bit of a
retrograde step.

They haven't been used for, ooh, seven or eight years now.

When I first moved to London (1997) the doors were only
passenger-controlled in the winter, but after a couple of years they
went to driver control at all times. I know not why. However, TTBOMK,
*no* Underground trains that have passenger-controlled door buttons
actually use them any more.

The total ceasing of use of door buttons seems to coincide with the
opening of the Jubilee Line Extension in 1999, where there are doors
on the platform as well. Presumably there wouldn't be a logical way
of combining the platform doors with passenger control (partially
sited people aware of platform doors opening and walking into closed
train doors etc), and it would be confusing to use them at some
stations but not others on the same line.

I don't know why that necessarily affects other lines or why the
trains for the JLE were built with buttons in the first place.

Old February 19th 07, 02:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:

[...]

Oh I love that typo. Partially sighted obviously. But the result
might be someone being partially sited ...

Old February 19th 07, 02:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote:

They haven't been used for, ooh, seven or eight years now.

When I first moved to London (1997) the doors were only
passenger-controlled in the winter,

I'm not sure if it was around then or earlier but LU posted a number of very
self-satisfied adverts around the Central Line about how great the buttons
were because when trains are waiting for long times at open stations you can
close the doors and so not get so wet/cold. Now they've stopped.

Most if not all NR suburban commuter trains have the option to close, and
the trains are designed to stop cold wind circulating through carriages if
they are waiting at exposed stations with doors open for a while. Why is so
little effort made for this on the tube? It's often cited as a corroborating
reason for the Epping - Ongar service never being attractive.

Old February 19th 07, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Feb 19, 3:12 pm, Edward Cowling London UK
wrote:
In message . com,
Boltar writes

Can't LU make their minds up if they want these or not? It seems they
occilate between having them then not on various train types over the
years. Why have they been taken of the D stock? Seems a bit of a
retrograde step.

They always had people stood in front of them, and lets face it how
often these days is it so cold that a bit of fresh air through the
carriage isn't welcome ?

Personally I'd like to see all door buttons gone.

I mentioned somewhere, maybe uk.railway, that close buttons are a
safety hazard in crowded trains. I have accidentally leant on a
button in an NR train and closed the door on someone who was getting
off.

Old February 19th 07, 02:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 19, 3:03 pm, James Farrar wrote:
*no* Underground trains that have passenger-controlled door buttons
actually use them any more.

More money wasted. Still, I think they should have left them on the D
stock even if not working since they look a lot better than the
painted over metal plate they've been replaced with on the outside
which rather jars with the upmarket look of the rest of the refurb
(though they don't seem to have bothered repainting the drivers doors
inside the cars which look just as much of a scratched mess as
before). All in all a bit of a half hearted effort IMO.

B2003

Old February 19th 07, 02:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19 Feb 2007 07:23:56 -0800, "MIG"
wrote:

On Feb 19, 3:12 pm, Edward Cowling London UK
wrote:
In message . com,
Boltar writes

Can't LU make their minds up if they want these or not? It seems they
occilate between having them then not on various train types over the
years. Why have they been taken of the D stock? Seems a bit of a
retrograde step.

They always had people stood in front of them, and lets face it how
often these days is it so cold that a bit of fresh air through the
carriage isn't welcome ?

Personally I'd like to see all door buttons gone.

I mentioned somewhere, maybe uk.railway, that close buttons are a
safety hazard in crowded trains. I have accidentally leant on a
button in an NR train and closed the door on someone who was getting
off.

I once acidentally leant on a passenger alarm handle, thus activating
it, but I don't see them removing them!

(Though to be fair, they have now screwed metal plates over them so
you have to pull the handle at the top, you can't push the bottom of
it...)
Old February 19th 07, 03:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:

On Feb 19, 3:12 pm, Edward Cowling London UK
wrote:
In message . com,
Boltar writes

[...]

An unfortunate thing to do but, unlike a closing door, it wouldn't
actually squash someone and risk any other number of consequences,
such as falling, bits getting caught etc.