Old September 12th 12, 05:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Terminals again

Last month I had to be at Moorfields Eye Hospital before 08.00 and
bought my ticket the evening before.

The lady at the ticket office was on the ball and, when I asked for a
return to Old Street, asked if I had a Railcard, pointing out that
since I had I could get a discount on the ticket back if she sold me
two singles. So I was given Walton-on-Thames to/from U1 tickets.

So far so good and she was doing well on the obligation to sell me the
cheapest ticket for my trip.

But I have since been playing with http://brfares.com and when exactly
the above is entered the tickets offered are all W-O-T to London
Terminals and sure enough both Old Street (rail) and Old Street (tube)
are in the list.

So could I have taken the tube to Old Street via Stockwell or E&C with
a London Terminals ticket ?

--
Mike D

Old September 12th 12, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Michael R N Dolbear wrote:
So could I have taken the tube to Old Street via Stockwell or E&C with
a London Terminals ticket ?

I suspect not... Old St is on the list due to a special-case
interavailability with the Finsbury Park-Moorgate line from KX (eg you have
a season for a commute from Stevenage to Old St or Moorgate, on a Sunday
when the Moorgate line is shut you can go to KX and use the tube without
paying a tube fare).

I'd have thought Old St from the south would be barred for the same reason
that you can't go from Woking to Euston on a 'London Terminals' ticket -
Waterloo is what counts there, and you need to pay for the tube journey.
But I don't know the full logic for what counts as your last available
London Terminal (people can go through London Bridge and Waterloo East and
use Charing Cross as the Terminal, but can't go through London Bridge and
Blackfriars and use St Pancras).

Theo
Old September 12th 12, 08:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12/09/2012 18:51, Theo Markettos wrote:
Michael R N Dolbear wrote:
So could I have taken the tube to Old Street via Stockwell or E&C with
a London Terminals ticket ?

I'd have thought Old St from the south would be barred for the same reason
that you can't go from Woking to Euston on a 'London Terminals' ticket -
Waterloo is what counts there, and you need to pay for the tube journey.
But I don't know the full logic for what counts as your last available
London Terminal (people can go through London Bridge and Waterloo East and
use Charing Cross as the Terminal, but can't go through London Bridge and
Blackfriars and use St Pancras).

Spot on. For reference, Rail Settlement Plan list Blackfriars, Charing
Cross, Cannon Street, City Thameslink, London Bridge, Paddington,
Vauxhall, Victoria, Waterloo and Waterloo East as "appropriate" London
Terminals stations for Walton-on-Thames, though quite how you'd get to
Paddington is anyone's guess!

Cheers,

Barry