Old October 2nd 12, 04:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Kings Cross platform 0

"Basil Jet" wrote

You must be the only living boy who hasn't been to New Cross. Allegedly,
the platform numbers are to distinguish from New Cross gate, although they
aren't really near enough to warrant that.

Until the Grouping both stations were named New Cross, and were only
distinguished as New Cross (Brighton Line) and New Cross (South Eastern
Line). Into the 1940s there were porters on the East London Line who
announced trains as for New Cross Brighton Line. The locomotive depot next
to New Cross Gate station was known as New Cross shed until its closure in
1947.

Peter

Old October 2nd 12, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 15:07:03 +0100, "Tim Roll-Pickering"
wrote:

Charles Ellson wrote:

In fact is there a clear list anywhere of which pairs of stations
definitely
are and aren't valid through interchanges on a single ticket?

For Oyster :-
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reques...on_interchange

There are also "emergency OSIs" mentioned in :-
http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/out-of...terchange-osi/
(PVAL = passenger validator)

Thanks. I assume the regular ones are also valid for paper tickets?

I suspect some of the permanent OSIs might be found in assorted
historic ticket inspectors' instructions. IIRC Kilburn High
Road/Kilburn Park and Kenton/Northwick Park (and the now West
Hampsteads?) feature in a 1938 LMS book.

I'm surprised that Aldgate & Aldgate East aren't a regular OSI - the number
of times that a Hammersmith & City train is nowhere to be seen would make
that a sensible route.

Old October 2nd 12, 07:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Are there not a fair few stations in continental Europe which have a
"main" series of numbers for their "ordinary" platforms, say 1-14, and
have a couple of randomly chosen "high" numbers, say 41-42 for
platforms served by some oddball operation such as a tram-train run by
a different operator in an underground or semi-detached overground bit
of the station?

--
gordon
Old October 2nd 12, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

gordonT wrote on 02 October 2012 20:34:48 ...
Are there not a fair few stations in continental Europe which have a
"main" series of numbers for their "ordinary" platforms, say 1-14, and
have a couple of randomly chosen "high" numbers, say 41-42 for
platforms served by some oddball operation such as a tram-train run by
a different operator in an underground or semi-detached overground bit
of the station?

Gare du Nord in Paris is like that. It has 1-21 for
regional/inter-city/international trains, 30-36 for suburban trains, and
below them 41-44 for the RER (Crossrail equivalent).

Gare de Lyon has the oddest platform numbering: the original train shed
has platforms A to N; a separate group of platforms is numbered 5 to 23,
odd numbers only.
--
Richard J.
Old October 2nd 12, 09:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 01/10/2012 16:02, Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
wrote:

According to the signs this new platform is for electric trains only, yet
saw an HST set in it on Saturday (13:36). Admittedly the engine wasn't
running on the power car under the buildings.

Is this a regular occurrence? If so why not change the signs?

How many other stations have unusual numbering for their platforms?

Obviously one could fill an entire thread with examples at Statford.

Waterloo East with A,B,C, & D

Old October 2nd 12, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote

How many other stations have unusual numbering for their platforms?

Platforms at Oxford are numbered, from East to West, 3, 1, 2.

Peter
Old October 3rd 12, 09:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:34:48 PM UTC+1, gordonT wrote:
Are there not a fair few stations in continental Europe which have a
"main" series of numbers for their "ordinary" platforms, say 1-14, and
have a couple of randomly chosen "high" numbers, say 41-42 for
platforms served by some oddball operation such as a tram-train run by
a different operator in an underground or semi-detached overground bit
of the station?

--
gordon

Lausanne has platforms 1..9 and 70, the only thing different about 70 is it's a bay.
I don't think I've seen a higher platform number.
Old October 3rd 12, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 08:28:44PM +0100, Clive wrote:
In message , Peter Smyth
writes
New Cross, Waterloo East, and St Pancras Low Level use letters rather
than numbers for their platforms.

Each of Waterloo East and St. Pancras I can understand as they're just
about two stations on the same sight, New Cross, I've never been to.

Probably to avoid confusion with New Cross Gate just a few hundred yards
away.

--
David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"

Eye have a spelling chequer / It came with my pea sea
It planely marques four my revue / Miss Steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a quay and type a word / And weight for it to say
Weather eye am wrong oar write / It shows me strait a weigh.
Old October 3rd 12, 10:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 03:07:03PM +0100, Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
Charles Ellson wrote:
In fact is there a clear list anywhere of which pairs of stations
definitely
are and aren't valid through interchanges on a single ticket?

For Oyster :-
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reques...on_interchange

I'm surprised that Aldgate & Aldgate East aren't a regular OSI - the number
of times that a Hammersmith & City train is nowhere to be seen would make
that a sensible route.

I travel from Aldgate East westbound on the District line in the
evenings. There's an annoyingly frequent H&C line service! Perhaps
it's got more frequent since the teacupping and so an OSI isn't needed.

--
David Cantrell | Enforcer, South London Linguistic Massive

I know that you believe you understand what you think you wrote, but
I'm not sure you realize that what you wrote is not what you meant.
Old October 3rd 12, 10:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"D7666" wrote in message
Such numbering of all tracks with or without platforms is normal on
just about every railway in just about every country I have been to
outside of UK and IE.

--
Nick

The Dutch definitely do, not sure about the Belgians. The latter don't have
many stations with through lines anyway, the only one I can think of at the
moment is Charleroi Sud.

John