Old October 1st 12, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Kings Cross platform 0

According to the signs this new platform is for electric trains only, yet I
saw an HST set in it on Saturday (13:36). Admittedly the engine wasn't
running on the power car under the buildings.

Is this a regular occurrence? If so why not change the signs?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old October 1st 12, 03:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

According to the signs this new platform is for electric trains only, yet
saw an HST set in it on Saturday (13:36). Admittedly the engine wasn't
running on the power car under the buildings.

Is this a regular occurrence? If so why not change the signs?

How many other stations have unusual numbering for their platforms?

Obviously one could fill an entire thread with examples at Statford.

--
My blog: http://adf.ly/4hi4c

Old October 1st 12, 03:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Huddersfield has platforms numbered 1 2 4 5 6 and 8.

Not sure what happened to 3 and 7 though perhaps someone will come along to
tell us.

The oddest one I've seen (a bit OT this) was Newark Airport station in New
Jersey where the platforms are, if I recall, numbered 1,2,5 and 6. The
missing numbers 3 and 4 are the through roads used by non stopping trains
(Acela, etc). The station is fairly new and would never have had platforms
on the through roads, though I suppose we should bear in mind that the
Americans refer to track numbers, rather than platforms (Track 29, boy you
can give me a shine, etc)

Old October 1st 12, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Oct 1, 4:43*pm, "Paul Rigg" wrote:
Huddersfield has platforms numbered 1 2 4 5 6 and 8.

Not sure what happened to 3 and 7 though perhaps someone will come along to
tell us.

The oddest one I've seen *(a bit OT this) was Newark Airport station in New
Jersey where the platforms are, if I recall, numbered 1,2,5 and 6. * *The
missing numbers 3 and 4 are the through roads used by non stopping trains
(Acela, etc). * The station is fairly new and would never have had platforms
on the through roads, though I suppose we should bear in mind that the
Americans refer to track numbers, rather than platforms *(Track 29, boy you
can give me a *shine, etc)

Such numbering of all tracks with or without platforms is normal on
just about every railway in just about every country I have been to
outside of UK and IE.

--
Nick

Old October 1st 12, 04:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article ,
D7666 wrote:
On Oct 1, 4:43*pm, "Paul Rigg" wrote:
Huddersfield has platforms numbered 1 2 4 5 6 and 8.

Not sure what happened to 3 and 7 though perhaps someone will come along to
tell us.

The oddest one I've seen *(a bit OT this) was Newark Airport station in New
Jersey where the platforms are, if I recall, numbered 1,2,5 and 6. * *The
missing numbers 3 and 4 are the through roads used by non stopping trains
(Acela, etc). * The station is fairly new and would never have had platforms
on the through roads, though I suppose we should bear in mind that the
Americans refer to track numbers, rather than platforms *(Track 29, boy you
can give me a *shine, etc)

Such numbering of all tracks with or without platforms is normal on
just about every railway in just about every country I have been to
outside of UK and IE.

Even including such obscure places as London Bridge and (until the 1970s)
King's Cross ...

Nick
Old October 1st 12, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 2012\10\01 16:43, Paul Rigg wrote:
Huddersfield has platforms numbered 1 2 4 5 6 and 8.

Not sure what happened to 3 and 7 though perhaps someone will come along
to tell us.

The oddest one I've seen (a bit OT this) was Newark Airport station in
New Jersey where the platforms are, if I recall, numbered 1,2,5 and
6. The missing numbers 3 and 4 are the through roads used by non
stopping trains (Acela, etc). The station is fairly new and would
never have had platforms on the through roads, though I suppose we
should bear in mind that the Americans refer to track numbers, rather
than platforms (Track 29, boy you can give me a shine, etc)

Sound like an excellent bit of forward thinking. While the drawback of
duplicate platform numbers is obvious, I can think of no drawback with
missing numbers.

Old October 1st 12, 05:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in message

According to the signs this new platform is for electric trains only, yet
saw an HST set in it on Saturday (13:36). Admittedly the engine wasn't
running on the power car under the buildings.

Is this a regular occurrence? If so why not change the signs?

How many other stations have unusual numbering for their platforms?

Obviously one could fill an entire thread with examples at Statford.

New Cross, Waterloo East, and St Pancras Low Level use letters rather than
numbers for their platforms.

Peter Smyth

Old October 1st 12, 05:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 01/10/2012 17:12, D7666 wrote:
On Oct 1, 4:43 pm, "Paul Rigg" wrote:
Huddersfield has platforms numbered 1 2 4 5 6 and 8.

Not sure what happened to 3 and 7 though perhaps someone will come along to
tell us.

The oddest one I've seen (a bit OT this) was Newark Airport station in New
Jersey where the platforms are, if I recall, numbered 1,2,5 and 6. The
missing numbers 3 and 4 are the through roads used by non stopping trains
(Acela, etc). The station is fairly new and would never have had platforms
on the through roads, though I suppose we should bear in mind that the
Americans refer to track numbers, rather than platforms (Track 29, boy you
can give me a shine, etc)

Such numbering of all tracks with or without platforms is normal on
just about every railway in just about every country I have been to
outside of UK and IE.

Various Slavic types seem to go in for numbering platforms and then
tracks (or is it faces?), so there are two numbers to precisely locate a
train.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old October 1st 12, 05:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article ,
"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote:

wrote:

According to the signs this new platform is for electric trains only, yet
saw an HST set in it on Saturday (13:36). Admittedly the engine wasn't
running on the power car under the buildings.

Is this a regular occurrence? If so why not change the signs?

How many other stations have unusual numbering for their platforms?

Obviously one could fill an entire thread with examples at Statford.

There's a Platform 0 at Haymarket as well as the ones at Stockport and
Cardiff Central that other posters have mentioned.

Sam

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.