Old October 26th 12, 07:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Free Tube station WiFi extended until "early 2013"

That might be the problem - none of the Android apps I was using sent
me to a "landing page", so the whole exercise seems completely broken.

I don't know what "the whole exercise" means but my ancient Nokia phone
has connected happily since WiFi was launched so the infrastucture seems
to be working. What browser(s) did you use to try to connect?
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old October 26th 12, 09:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:41:17 on Fri, 26 Oct
2012, Robin remarked:
That might be the problem - none of the Android apps I was using sent
me to a "landing page", so the whole exercise seems completely broken.

I don't know what "the whole exercise" means but my ancient Nokia phone
has connected happily since WiFi was launched so the infrastucture seems
to be working. What browser(s) did you use to try to connect?

I don't use a browser on my Android phone, the connectivity is required
by apps (like Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Journey Planners etc) which are
all free-standing.
Old October 26th 12, 09:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I don't know what "the whole exercise" means but my ancient Nokia
phone has connected happily since WiFi was launched so the
infrastucture seems to be working. What browser(s) did you use to
try to connect?

I don't use a browser on my Android phone, the connectivity is
required by apps (like Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Journey Planners
etc) which are all free-standing.

It appears you did not RTFM. Quelle surprise.
http://my.virginmedia.com/wifi/using...tml#how-to-get

I appreciate that you may think that the service should not require you
to use a browser but I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to make
the rules as it's their system. It is also by no means the only "free"
wi-fi service I have used which requires a browser page first.

Old October 26th 12, 11:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

I appreciate that you may think that the service should not require you
to use a browser but I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to make
the rules as it's their system. It is also by no means the only "free"
wi-fi service I have used which requires a browser page first.

Indeed.

This will however put me off using it. There must be a more practical
approach to this that means you don't have to log in each time.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK. Put first name before the at to reply.

Old October 26th 12, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Robin) wrote:

I don't know what "the whole exercise" means but my ancient Nokia
phone has connected happily since WiFi was launched so the
infrastucture seems to be working. What browser(s) did you use to
try to connect?

I don't use a browser on my Android phone, the connectivity is
required by apps (like Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Journey Planners
etc) which are all free-standing.

It appears you did not RTFM. Quelle surprise.
http://my.virginmedia.com/wifi/using...tml#how-to-get

I appreciate that you may think that the service should not require
you to use a browser but I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to
make the rules as it's their system. It is also by no means the only
"free" wi-fi service I have used which requires a browser page first.

I'm puzzled how Roland ever connects to wifi. Most seems to need a browser.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old October 26th 12, 08:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

I appreciate that you may think that the service should not require you
to use a browser but I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to make
the rules as it's their system. It is also by no means the only "free"
wi-fi service I have used which requires a browser page first.

Indeed.

This will however put me off using it. There must be a more practical
approach to this that means you don't have to log in each time.

There is a way around it if you install a second browser on your
phone. I use Firefox and the default (Android) browser on my HTC. I
use the Android browser to log in and Firefox to surf.

When I get to a station it is a simple matter of clicking "Back" in
the default browser and then "Refresh". You can click "Back" just
before entering the station to give more browsing time..
Old October 27th 12, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I have noticed that the signal stays at four bars when one sits in the
carriage; it goes down to three bars in the tunnel, then dwindles
fairly slowly down to zero. Perhaps if one got on at Leicester Square
and alighted at Covent Garden the signal would be continuous.
Old October 27th 12, 10:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 06:35:20
on Fri, 26 Oct 2012, remarked:

I'm puzzled how Roland ever connects to wifi. Most seems to need a browser.

I go to my phone's Wifi settings ("set up and manage wireless access
points") and select the requisite SSID. If it needs a WEP/WPA etc, then
that's remembered for next time.

Sat here at home I can see on my phone:

Two of my own hotspots
BTOpenzone - remembered[1]
BTHomeHub-blah - secured with WEP x3 at least
Virginmedia-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2 x3 at least
BTHomeHub2-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2
BTHub3-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2
Sky-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2
Netgear-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2
BOH Office - secured with WPA/WPA2
TALKTALK-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2
AutoBTwifi - EAP
BTwifi-with-FON - open
BTOpenzone-H - open
BTWifi - open
BZH - secured with WPA/WPA2
8WFC - secured with WPA/WPA2
Mr.Router! - secured with WPA/WPA2
RS_001 - secured with WEP
EnGenius - secured with WPA/WPA2

It's a bit busy out there!

[1] I don't know they still have one, but last time I used my BTOpenzone
account regularly about three years ago there was a gadget for my
Windows PC which logged you in automatically (and also had a list of
their International roaming hotspots).