Old October 27th 12, 02:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Free Tube station WiFi extended until "early 2013"

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
06:35:20 on Fri, 26 Oct 2012,
remarked:

I'm puzzled how Roland ever connects to wifi. Most seems to need a
browser.

I go to my phone's Wifi settings ("set up and manage wireless access
points") and select the requisite SSID. If it needs a WEP/WPA etc,
then that's remembered for next time.

Sat here at home I can see on my phone:

Two of my own hotspots
BTOpenzone - remembered[1]
BTHomeHub-blah - secured with WEP x3 at least
Virginmedia-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2 x3 at least
BTHomeHub2-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2
BTHub3-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2
Sky-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2
Netgear-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2
BOH Office - secured with WPA/WPA2
TALKTALK-blah - secured with WPA/WPA2
AutoBTwifi - EAP
BTwifi-with-FON - open
BTOpenzone-H - open
BTWifi - open
BZH - secured with WPA/WPA2
8WFC - secured with WPA/WPA2
Mr.Router! - secured with WPA/WPA2
RS_001 - secured with WEP
EnGenius - secured with WPA/WPA2

It's a bit busy out there!

[1] I don't know they still have one, but last time I used my
BTOpenzone account regularly about three years ago there was a gadget
for my Windows PC which logged you in automatically (and also had a
list of their International roaming hotspots).

And for open systems that control access through a browser like East Coast?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old October 28th 12, 06:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:16:59
on Sat, 27 Oct 2012, remarked:
[...]

My house is a little too far from the ECML to be picking up hotspots on
the trains

What I do know is that my attempts to use the East Coast wifi using a
laptop were generally unsuccessful due to a protracted log-in process
and extremely sluggish throughput (five minutes between screens).
Old October 28th 12, 11:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
I gave this the "mystery shopper" treatment at Westminster and all
stations to Kings Cross (via Victoria).

Saturday: Finsbury Park to Vauxhall, Victoria line
FP: no signal

KX-Victoria, in stations: connected to wifi, but VM landing page said
'something went wrong, make sure cookies are enabled on your phone'. Didn't
do anything else (needless to say, they were enabled)

Can't remember if there was any signal south of Victoria.

Sunday:
Waterloo Bakerloo corridor: no signal

Northern line Waterloo northbound platform:
successfully received login page, signed up, no problems, could see Google

Waterloo-Tottenham Court Road, Northern Line stations:
Connected OK, but couldn't connect to websites

Tottenham Court Road to Bank, Central Line.
Worked fine in stations.

So not quite 'nul points', but not terribly useful. On Android the time
from emerging from the tunnel to rescanning and connecting is about 70% of
the dwell time in the station - you have about 15-20s of doors closing and
pulling out of the station before the signal goes again. When it worked it
was enough to check train times (with a pre-entered URL - eg
traintimes.org.uk/kgx/edb ) but not much that requires interaction.

Theo
Old October 29th 12, 12:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 12:52:40AM +0100, Spyke wrote:

What is annoying is that you have to go to the Virgin Media wi-fi
landing page before it'll send any other traffic, even if you were just
using the wi-fi at the next station along!

Dunno about you, but *I* don't have to do that. Their page seems to pop
up randomly once every several days.

--
David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice

You know you're getting old when you fancy the
teenager's parent and ignore the teenager
-- Paul M in uknot