Old May 30th 06, 09:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default BBC News: Tube passengers trapped for hours

"Nearly 150 people were trapped for more than two hours when a Tube
train got stuck underground in north London.

A signal failure stopped the Victoria Line train at 0020 BST on
Tuesday, and another problem with traction current meant it could not
be re-started.

Passengers were trapped between Highbury and Islington and Finsbury
Park and were eventually led along tracks to safety."

Less than a perfect way to end your bank holiday. The evacuation
finished at 2:50am.

Old May 30th 06, 10:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kev Kev is offline

Mizter T wrote:

"Nearly 150 people were trapped for more than two hours when a Tube
train got stuck underground in north London.

A signal failure stopped the Victoria Line train at 0020 BST on
Tuesday, and another problem with traction current meant it could not
be re-started.

Passengers were trapped between Highbury and Islington and Finsbury
Park and were eventually led along tracks to safety."

Less than a perfect way to end your bank holiday. The evacuation
finished at 2:50am.

If they were delayed for 2 hours and they didn't get until 3am then it
must have been the last train of the day. I am surprised that it had
150 people on it.

Kevin

Old May 30th 06, 10:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 30 May 2006 03:11:15 -0700, "Kev" wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

"Nearly 150 people were trapped for more than two hours when a Tube
train got stuck underground in north London.
Less than a perfect way to end your bank holiday. The evacuation
finished at 2:50am.

If they were delayed for 2 hours and they didn't get until 3am then it
must have been the last train of the day. I am surprised that it had
150 people on it.

I'm not remotely surprised. I would have expected it to have rather more
given it had just left Highbury - there's a lot of people use the line
north of there even late at night.

Anyway it's a bloody mess that this has happened again on the Victoria
Line and at Highbury. I imagine this incident may well "bring the pains
on" given previous formal investigations into serious incidents
involving evacuations.
--
Paul C

Old May 30th 06, 11:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul C wrote:
Anyway it's a bloody mess that this has happened again on the
Victoria Line and at Highbury.

I've never been evacuated in a tunnel, however my central line train
Eastbound this evening was emptied at notting hill gate, stopped a few
yards after pulling out of the station arround 22:15, I was in a middle
carriage and there was a burning smell, having got off the train (and
avoided a couple of drunk girls who were trying to cause a panic), I
walked back to the end of the train (for quicker interchange at oxford
circus), smell (and a bit of smoke) seemed worse about where the 7th
carrage would be.

Driver sounded rather pannicky, understandably she wanted to get
everyone off ASAP, then drove off towards (I'd imagine) the stable at
Marble Arch.

I normally travel in the last carraiage but a few unsavory types at
that end of the platform at white city meant I was in the middle.
Wonder if they had anything to do with it.

Regarding the victoria line, I'm still affected (I always carry a
torch) by an incident a couple of years ago, between Green Park and
Oxford Circus, where the driver deicded to turn the lights off for the
entire train. No interior lights (even emergency lighting), for the ~2
minute trip. A lot of people were starting to panic by the time we got
to OxCir

All we got was a "sorry" over the intercom, then the train carried on
as normal for my trip to kings cross. Contemplated complaining, but I
had a Train/Bus/Van/Ferry combination to catch and couldn't be late.

Having said that most underground journeys are hastle free, including
the "severe delays" on the central line this morning - I had to wait 30
seconds for a train at bank!

Old May 31st 06, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver wrote:
Regarding the victoria line, I'm still affected (I always carry a
torch) by an incident a couple of years ago, between Green Park and
Oxford Circus, where the driver deicded to turn the lights off for the
entire train.

I'm surprised the driver CAN turn the lights off on an underground
train. I guess you can make it clear when a train is out of service,
but what's the point (saving electricity?) otherwise?

I've been on trains into Kings Cross on GN with no lights, and the
Potters Bar/Hadley Wood tunnel is quite long (40 seconds) but now the
stock has glow-in-the-dark stickers, you don't feel particularly
concerned (especially as the lights will have been off from when the
train started - so you know it's going to go dark). By Finsbury Park,
the platform staff will tell the driver and you might get an apology.
It's happened maybe 5 times to me in 4 years, which I guess is quite
bad considering I'm only using one London bound train a day; so how
many are there that I don't see?

Jonathan

Old May 31st 06, 11:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jonathan Morris wrote:
Paul Weaver wrote:
Regarding the victoria line, I'm still affected (I always carry a
torch) by an incident a couple of years ago, between Green Park and
Oxford Circus, where the driver deicded to turn the lights off for the
entire train.

I'm surprised the driver CAN turn the lights off on an underground
train. I guess you can make it clear when a train is out of service,
but what's the point (saving electricity?) otherwise?

Yes he/(she) can, although on 73TS (I can't comment about others) we
have a light comes on to warn us that the lights are off (If you see
what I mean!).

They are not turned off in the usual course of things, but I will turn
them off if the train is running out of service.