Old January 25th 04, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default West London Parking for Central Line

In message , Roland Perry
writes
In message , Dave
Arquati writes
Look at the bottom of http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/congestion/car_park
s.shtml for a list of tube station car parks and their prices.

Is Rickmansworth really only 250 spaces? I was there before Xmas and
the carpark was seemed huge, and half empty; if a bit of a walk from the
station itself.

Thanks, everyone.

I wanted to keep the rail journey as speedy and cheap (Travelcard only)
as possible, hence my preference (on this occasion) not to use Chiltern
(which I normally do from all the way up here in the Midlands).

I'll give West Ruislip a go in preference, followed by Ickenham or
Hillingdon if necessary. (The lack of Central - Piccadilly line
interchanges in West London is infuriating, isn't it?) But thanks for
suggesting the Metropolitan to Barbican and walking from there. That
sounds a good fall back option.

Thanks again to everyone.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for

Old January 25th 04, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote in message ...
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , Ian Jelf
writes

On Monday I have to travel by car to London along the M40 and then get
to get to Saint Paul's by 1000. (I normally use Chiltern trains or
drive down the M1 and park at Stanmore but this time logistics are
unfortunately dictating otherwise.)

When I previously used to do this I used to Park at Perivale and take
the Central Line. However, I've not done this for a long time and
recall someone here saying that Perivale's station car par is now full
very early.

Anyone have any other ideas about any West London Central Line stations
with reasonable parking?

Not the Central Line, but I always used to park at Ickenham, which is a
few minutes drive north of Hillingdon (whose carpark I found filled up
rather sooner).

... and is also slightly cheaper.

West Ruislip has 136 spaces.

I used to work at West Ruislip, and the car park was regularly full by
0800.
I suspect that the 136 spaces figure includes the staff parking
spaces, so in reality there are only about 115.
Other stations down the Central line have
many fewer spaces... Metropolitan line stations, however, tend to have
much larger car parks. Look at the bottom of
http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/congestion/car_parks.shtml for a list of
tube station car parks and their prices. (W Ruislip is not included...
that information was from the Chiltern Railways website at
http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk).

A final point - you will certainly find parking available at
Beaconsfield on Chiltern Railways since the car park was double-decked
last year. You could then catch a train to W Ruislip and change for the
Central Line (although it would be quicker to go all the way into
Marylebone and make your way from there).

Old January 26th 04, 06:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

Found a better list from TfL:
http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/carpark/

Not going to park at Harrow-on-the Hill at those prices !

--
Richard

Old January 26th 04, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Just back!

I used West Ruislip in the end, which still had some spaces left around
8.00am. Not many but a few. I was impressed that there was an
attendant selling the day tickets, too. No need for the pocketful of
coins I was lugging around, after all!

(Incidentally I must e-mail LUL; the Station Assistant at West Ruislip
was one of the friendliest people I've ever encountered!)

Thanks again to all who made suggestions for the advice.
Old January 27th 04, 04:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote in message ...
Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Just back!

I used West Ruislip in the end, which still had some spaces left around
8.00am. Not many but a few. I was impressed that there was an
attendant selling the day tickets, too. No need for the pocketful of
coins I was lugging around, after all!

(Incidentally I must e-mail LUL; the Station Assistant at West Ruislip
was one of the friendliest people I've ever encountered!)

Thanks again to all who made suggestions for the advice.

There was an SA at West Ruislip? Rare indeed. I never saw a member of
station staff in the two months I was based there.

Old January 28th 04, 08:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Thomas
Crame writes
There was an SA at West Ruislip? Rare indeed. I never saw a member of
station staff in the two months I was based there.

There were at least two, yes. (But then there seem to be more staff
generally on the Underground these days. I certainly notice a lot more
on platforms in Central London now than I used to, even quite recently.)

Old January 29th 04, 12:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2004-01-26 21:37:00 +0000, Ian Jelf said:

(Incidentally I must e-mail LUL; the Station Assistant at West Ruislip
was one of the friendliest people I've ever encountered!)

There always seems to be a station assistant there during morning
rush-hour, and I agree - very friendly - even recognises me now and wished
me a Good Morning.

Old January 29th 04, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message 2004012913413316807%me@nospamnet, Adam
writes
On 2004-01-26 21:37:00 +0000, Ian Jelf said:

(Incidentally I must e-mail LUL; the Station Assistant at West Ruislip
was one of the friendliest people I've ever encountered!)

There always seems to be a station assistant there during morning rush-
hour, and I agree - very friendly - even recognises me now and wished me
a Good Morning.

Probably the same chap. Given his demeanour, he *felt* like the sort
of person who'd say "good morning" every day and mean it.

(I did e-mail LUL, by the way.)
Old January 29th 04, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

On 2004-01-26 21:37:00 +0000, Ian Jelf said:

(Incidentally I must e-mail LUL; the Station Assistant at West Ruislip
was one of the friendliest people I've ever encountered!)

There always seems to be a station assistant there during morning
rush-hour, and I agree - very friendly - even recognises me now and
wished me a Good Morning.

Goodness! That almost elevates us to the status of friendly
neighbourhood dog ;-)
But seriously, is this really unusual? I try to say good morning to all
the customers and often more to those I've got to know....
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.