Old January 6th 13, 07:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Where to see the steam runs on the Underground?

Dear all

Maybe I'm not fully awake at 0700 on a Sunday – althoughI have already
done some work – but I've spent 15-20 fruitless minutes trying to find
one important detail of the upcoming steam runs:

Where's the best place to watch them.

Searching Usenet and Web have found information about the panel
discussion, about the loco and carriages, a dash of history, lots of
useless junk and of cours a dash of pedantry. And far be it from me as
a former newspaper subeditor, who would refer to the Games of the XXX
Olympiad taking place in several stadia, to decry the latter.

But right now I don't want to debate the social politics of a
particular newspaper, the culinary skills or otherwise of a Rubenesque
woman whose father was a politician, and far less do I want to amuse
myself with the debate of nomenclature of public transport systems.

What I DO want to do is know where to go with cameras – and when – to
watch what promises to be an interesting event. And if at least one
such location and time would be suitable for an old chap with limited
mobility, so much the better.

Given the wealth of information and knowledge propogated here, I look
forward to someone pointing me in the appropriate direction.

And BTW, for those who believe the Daily Mail to be a worthless
publication, today's [online] edition has an interesting lead

Thousands are hit by fare hikes... but not the rail minister who spends
£80,000 on a CHAUFFEUR for his 35-mile commute

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-commute.html

Many thanks

Kenw

[use the above as ]

Old January 6th 13, 10:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"kenw" wrote in message
[...]

I've been wondering the same thing and come to the conclusion that there is
no easy answer. There are a few overbridges, particularly between Olympia
and Earls Court but they have high walls and I suspect they will have quite
a few adherents. Olympia itself is a possibility but how many others will
have the same idea? So we're left with the stations along the route and
they're a complete unknown because TfL have said nothing about how they plan
to control crowds. My preferred stations would be Baker St (nice period
atmosphere), High St Ken (some outdoor running at the south end of the
station and one other I won't name because I think it's where I might end
up!

Old January 6th 13, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:05:16 on
Sun, 6 Jan 2013, Graham Harrison
remarked:
My preferred stations would be Baker St (nice period atmosphere), High
St Ken (some outdoor running at the south end of the station and one
other I won't name because I think it's where I might end up!

Farringdon looks like the best (for viewing from outside a station).

There were rumours the platforms en-route would be subject to crowd
control (or even closed altogether to the public, but I expect there
will be opportunities for professional filming and VIPs).

Old January 6th 13, 11:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Yes, let's hope that his last act as a transport minister is to reduce
the notorious congestion on the A12 by removing himself and his vehcile
from it.

Which do we think will happen first:

- he decides that he can take the train after all, maybe copying the
Deputy PM and using a less obtrusive black or brown box

- he "decides to spend more time with his family" to use a time-honoured phrase

Kenw

Old January 6th 13, 11:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 12:37:25 +0000, kenw wrote:

Yes, let's hope that his last act as a transport minister is to reduce
the notorious congestion on the A12 by removing himself and his vehcile
from it.

Which do we think will happen first:

- he decides that he can take the train after all, maybe copying the
Deputy PM and using a less obtrusive black or brown box

- he "decides to spend more time with his family" to use a time-honoured phrase

The article focuses on the cost of the car to the tax payer, but I'm
unclear who would pay for his commute if he chose to use the train.
Presumably he'd be able to expense the (standard class) fare as he'd
be travelling from his constituency to Westminster?
Old January 6th 13, 12:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

- he decides that he can take the train after all, maybe copying the
Deputy PM and using a less obtrusive black or brown box

It is of course not the colour of the box but the papers being read -
and the risk of other travellers reading the papers which are being
dealt with if they are classified. Civil servants face the same problem
with working on trains etc.

Oddly the GBP seem never to have similar problems with the vast numbers
of private sector directors, local authority chief officials, NHS chief
executives etc who have cars and drivers available for home-to-work
travel. By comparison very few Ministers and top civil servants get
such perks and IME they work much longer hours. I do not hold Ministers
as a class in very high regard (and as a grumpy old man consider they
are on average worse than previous generations) but the one thing most
do still put in are the hours, especially when you combinetheir work as
Minister and as constituency MP.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old January 6th 13, 03:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/01/2013 12:37, kenw wrote:
Yes, let's hope that his last act as a transport minister is to reduce
the notorious congestion on the A12 by removing himself and his vehcile
from it.

Which do we think will happen first:

- he decides that he can take the train after all, maybe copying the
Deputy PM and using a less obtrusive black or brown box

- he "decides to spend more time with his family" to use a time-honoured
phrase

Or he travels by train, and the Daily Mail then runs a story headlined
"Fury, outrage (etc) as minister looks at sensitive documents on a
public train where criminals, immigrants, single mothers and gays might
see them, when he could be travelling by car allowing him to read them
securely"....

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old January 6th 13, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks, Roland, Paul

If Farringdon is the best bet, what's the ETA - someone [whose initials
might be PC?] must know.

Old January 6th 13, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Would there be a different recommendation for those in lawful possession of a Tube uniform?