Old February 7th 13, 07:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Danglebahn usage statistics

On 07/02/2013 13:25, tim..... wrote:

wrote in message ...
On 07/02/2013 00:48, Recliner wrote:

It needs to be better integrated into London's transport network. One
way to start this is by charging a more realistic fare, rather than
the premiums they have going now.

I personally doubt that this would help its financial performance

Any increased use from normal punters would probably never make up for
the reduced fare paid by the joy-riders

What do you suggest doing that will help it to better integrate and not
be just an amusement park ride? New York and Istanbul have them and use
them for public transport, mind you.

Fares to use them are also the same as other forms of transport in each
city. I will admit that each city uses flat fares, however, whereas we
use zonal fares.

Old February 9th 13, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It needs to be better integrated into London's transport network. One
way to start this is by charging a more realistic fare, rather than the
premiums they have going now.

I don't understand how it was ever considered to be a commute option -
where would they be going to work?

Like (probably) everyone else, I have taken my 2 year old on it as
something different to do on a Sunday morning - he loves it (and indeed,
I think it's terrific in the same way I think the London Eye is terrific)
- but if you're going to be commuting on it, it has to be something that
really saves you time - and the only way I can imagine someone would save
time over and above getting the DLR to Canning Town and onto the Jubilee,
would be if you lived directly opposite the entrance on the eastern side,
and worked in the Dome.

I cannot believe it EVER stood up to any scrutiny as potential for
commuting.
Old February 10th 13, 10:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 13:41:11 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:

Are there any normal punters? I can't imagine anymore than a handful of
people
use it to commute.

As an extra follow up I found a recent Mayor's Answer which shows the
recent sales of the multi journey tickets - assumed to be for regular
users.

You'll see the numbers are low.

see pages 35/6 of this

http://www.london.gov.uk/moderngov/d...13%201.pdf?T=9

For those that can't be bothered to click:

It's an average of 18.5 sales per week

and overall 20,000 riders per week (except New Year which was 45,000)

tim

Old February 10th 13, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 09/02/2013 15:48, martin_petrov wrote:

[...]

Who says it had to stand up to any such scrutiny? The Mayor wanted it to
happen, he's the Chair of TfL, hence TfL made it happen. 'Tis on Bozza's
head.

It's an affordable and accessible (and subsidised) fairground attraction
writ large failing to masquerade as public transport.
Old February 10th 13, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:00:55 on Sun, 10 Feb
2013, Mizter T remarked:

It's an affordable and accessible (and subsidised) fairground
attraction writ large failing to masquerade as public transport.

A bit like the Seattle monorail then?

Old February 10th 13, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:00:55 on Sun, 10 Feb 2013,
Mizter T remarked:

It's an affordable and accessible (and subsidised) fairground
attraction writ large failing to masquerade as public transport.

A bit like the Seattle monorail then?

But rather more visible, and with better views. Even locals in Seattle are
barely aware that the old monorail even exists, and it's not a very
interesting ride.
Old February 10th 13, 02:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 12:00:55 on Sun, 10 Feb 2013,
Mizter T remarked:

It's an affordable and accessible (and subsidised) fairground attraction
writ large failing to masquerade as public transport.

A bit like the Seattle monorail then?

Well no, because the monorail is the most obvious PT to get to the Space
Needle.

There *are* other obvious ways for tourists to get to each end of the
dangleqway!

tim

Old February 10th 13, 03:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It's an affordable and accessible (and subsidised) fairground
attraction writ large failing to masquerade as public transport.

A bit like the Seattle monorail then?

Not quite, because the monorail has useful connections. The Westlake
station on the monorail is very close to (more or less directly above)
the Westlake station in the transit tunnel, with the light rail line
to the airport and buses all over the place.

If you want to get from the area near the Space Needle to or from
Sea-Tac, the monorail is a reasonable way to do it.

--
Regards,
John Levine, , Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Old February 10th 13, 03:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim....." wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message ...
In message , at 12:00:55 on Sun, 10 Feb
2013, Mizter T remarked:

It's an affordable and accessible (and subsidised) fairground
attraction writ large failing to masquerade as public transport.

A bit like the Seattle monorail then?

Well no, because the monorail is the most obvious PT to get to the Space Needle.

There *are* other obvious ways for tourists to get to each end of the dangleqway!

It's not very easy to find and get to the downtown Seattle monorail
station.
Old February 10th 13, 03:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It's not very easy to find and get to the downtown Seattle monorail
station.

Huh? It's in the Westlake Center, a large shopping mall. This
discussion was about commuters, who are presumably familiar enough
with the area to find the entrance.

Also, here's a secret trick that locals use to find it: look up.