Old February 10th 13, 03:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Danglebahn usage statistics

In message

, at 09:04:42 on Sun, 10 Feb 2013, Recliner
remarked:

It's an affordable and accessible (and subsidised) fairground
attraction writ large failing to masquerade as public transport.

A bit like the Seattle monorail then?

But rather more visible, and with better views. Even locals in Seattle are
barely aware that the old monorail even exists,

As the space needle and the monorail are amongst their major tourist
attractions, does this fall into the same camp as residents of LA who
don't know about Disneyland?

and it's not a very interesting ride.

Does that matter (even assuming that's true).

Old February 10th 13, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message

, at 10:01:41 on Sun, 10 Feb 2013, Recliner

remarked:

It's not very easy to find and get to the downtown Seattle monorail
station.

It was outside my hotel.
Old February 10th 13, 03:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Levine wrote:
It's not very easy to find and get to the downtown Seattle monorail
station.

Huh? It's in the Westlake Center, a large shopping mall. This
discussion was about commuters, who are presumably familiar enough
with the area to find the entrance.

Also, here's a secret trick that locals use to find it: look up.

Yes, you can see the track from below, but as a tourist, I found it
non-obvious how to get to the platform. I don't think many commuters use
it.
Old February 10th 13, 03:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at 09:04:42 on Sun, 10 Feb 2013, Recliner remarked:

It's an affordable and accessible (and subsidised) fairground
attraction writ large failing to masquerade as public transport.

A bit like the Seattle monorail then?

But rather more visible, and with better views. Even locals in Seattle are
barely aware that the old monorail even exists,

As the space needle and the monorail are amongst their major tourist
attractions, does this fall into the same camp as residents of LA who
don't know about Disneyland?

and it's not a very interesting ride.

Does that matter (even assuming that's true).

Remember, it was being compared with the danglebahn, which may not go
anywhere useful, but is an interesting ride.
Old February 11th 13, 09:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
"tim....." wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 12:00:55 on Sun, 10 Feb
2013, Mizter T remarked:

It's an affordable and accessible (and subsidised) fairground
attraction writ large failing to masquerade as public transport.

A bit like the Seattle monorail then?

Well no, because the monorail is the most obvious PT to get to the Space
Needle.

There *are* other obvious ways for tourists to get to each end of the
dangleqway!

It's not very easy to find and get to the downtown Seattle monorail
station.

Eh, It makes a direct connection with the subway (FSVO direct)

tim

Old February 11th 13, 09:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim....." wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message
"tim....." wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 12:00:55 on Sun, 10 Feb
2013, Mizter T remarked:

It's an affordable and accessible (and subsidised) fairground
attraction writ large failing to masquerade as public transport.

A bit like the Seattle monorail then?

Well no, because the monorail is the most obvious PT to get to the Space Needle.

There *are* other obvious ways for tourists to get to each end of the dangleqway!

It's not very easy to find and get to the downtown Seattle monorail
station.

Eh, It makes a direct connection with the subway (FSVO direct)

I meant, from the street. I saw the tracks above the street, but it wasn't
as easy as I expected to find the station a couple of floors above.
Old February 11th 13, 04:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I meant, from the street. I saw the tracks above the street, but it wasn't
as easy as I expected to find the station a couple of floors above.

Oh, come on. You look up, you see the station, the stairs and
elevator are right underneath. BTDT.

--
Regards,
John Levine, , Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Old February 19th 13, 02:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Offramp wrote:
How many people work on it on a normal day? I seem to recall a couple of
schmos either end assisting people onto the gondolas.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardia...ble-car-london
Old February 20th 13, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks! 64 permanent staff. Not too bad.
Old February 22nd 13, 03:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20/02/2013 09:51, Offramp wrote:
Thanks! 64 permanent staff. Not too bad.

Where did it say 64? Can't find that in the Guardian article in the
post you followed up to (and didn't quote)

Out of interest, how many staff would typically man such a gondola in a
ski resort? I realise the Dangleway has a longer opening period than
would be typical in those circumstances (they usually close around 5 or
so) but it should be easy to extrapolate.