Old February 12th 13, 12:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default No crossed lines at King's Cross

Roland Perry wrote in
news
Whereabouts were the BT phones? I can't picture them at all. The
concourse at Baker St is the sort of place I might have looked, but not
down on the tube platforms.

They were mounted on a panel, usually together with a chocolate machine.
The phones where the ones that took a green phonecard, and that system went
out a good number of years ago. They were quite widespread for a time on
the platforms, at least in central London. I don't think they were used a
lot, partly because there was no acoustic shielding and the noise level on
a tube platform makes converstion hard, but they were quite useful for the
'I'll be home in 40 minutes' calls before we all had mobiles.

Peter

--
|| Peter CS ~ Epsom ~ UK | pjcs02 [at] gmail.com |
Old February 12th 13, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 13:25:24 on Tue, 12
Feb 2013, Peter CS remarked:
Whereabouts were the BT phones? I can't picture them at all. The
concourse at Baker St is the sort of place I might have looked, but not
down on the tube platforms.

They were mounted on a panel, usually together with a chocolate machine.
The phones where the ones that took a green phonecard, and that system went
out a good number of years ago. They were quite widespread for a time on
the platforms, at least in central London. I don't think they were used a
lot, partly because there was no acoustic shielding and the noise level on
a tube platform makes converstion hard, but they were quite useful for the
'I'll be home in 40 minutes' calls before we all had mobiles.

Not that mobiles work on tube platforms... but making calls like that on
Rabbit was one of the attractions.
Old February 12th 13, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
ian ian is offline

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
Not that mobiles work on tube platforms... but making calls like that on
Rabbit was one of the attractions.

Smartphones with Virgin, EE, and Vodafone can be used on well over 100 LUL
platforms

Ian

Old February 12th 13, 01:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 13:58:58 on Tue, 12 Feb
2013, ian remarked:

Not that mobiles work on tube platforms... but making calls like that
on Rabbit was one of the attractions.

Smartphones with Virgin, EE, and Vodafone can be used on well over 100
LUL platforms

Used for calls as well as Wifi?

Many LUL platforms have always had signal, but have they put microcells
on tube platforms?

Old February 12th 13, 01:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 13:58:58 -0000
"ian" wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message
Not that mobiles work on tube platforms... but making calls like that on
Rabbit was one of the attractions.

Smartphones with Virgin, EE, and Vodafone can be used on well over 100 LUL
platforms

How many of those are above ground?

B2003

Old February 12th 13, 02:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
ian ian is offline

wrote in message
Smartphones with Virgin, EE, and Vodafone can be used on well over 100 LUL
platforms

How many of those are above ground?

Its wifi on the platform see

http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news...in-media-99818

Then you use the App

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...ll-app-1110267

Ian

Old February 12th 13, 03:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 15:25:50 on Tue, 12 Feb
2013, ian remarked:
Its wifi on the platform see

http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news...-virgin-media-
99818

Then you use the App

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...gin-media-anno
unces-free-calls-over-wi-fi-with-smartcall-app-1110267

Assuming you can ever connect to the wifi - which I haven't despite many
tries.
Old February 12th 13, 07:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 12/02/2013 13:58, ian wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
Not that mobiles work on tube platforms... but making calls like that
on Rabbit was one of the attractions.

Smartphones with Virgin, EE, and Vodafone can be used on well over 100
LUL platforms

Ian

With Skype, you mean?