Old February 19th 13, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default from Gatwick

On 19/02/2013 11:29, David Cantrell wrote:

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 07:30:26AM +0000, Walter Briscoe wrote:

I don't believe that this site is designed to facilitate calling it
as a URL in languages other than German - the default language.

What are you smoking?

You seriously think that TfL's website's default language is GERMAN?

For TfL's Journey Planner, yes - it's the product of a German IT
company, Mentz Datenverarbeitung GmbH aka "mdv":
http://www.mentzdv.de/englisch/company/about-us/

The standard URL for TfL's Journey Planner is...
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

Remove the language string from the URL...
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?
....and you get the page in Deutsch.

Old February 19th 13, 11:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Tue, 19
Feb 2013 11:29:47 in uk.transport.london, David Cantrell
writes
On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 07:30:26AM +0000, Walter Briscoe wrote:
In message id of Sun,
17 Feb 2013 15:23:50 in uk.transport.london, Dr J R Stockton reply1300@
merlyn.demon.co.uk.invalid writes
Presumably the two-letter code for the squiggle squiggle language, which
a squiggle squiggle reader should know. The site goes blank for unknown
codes, which is bad implementation.

I don't believe that this site is designed to facilitate calling it as a
URL in languages other than German - the default language.

What are you smoking?

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?
is mapped by some process I do not understand onto
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use...EQUEST2?langua
ge=de in both Firefox and Internet Explorer. That is why I say German
is the Journey Planner default language. e.g. "Travelling from ..."
appears as "Abfahrt von...".

You seriously think that TfL's website's default language is GERMAN?

I did not say that. I said the Journey Planner's default language is
German.

It requires effort to learn how to drive that interface.

No, it requires the ability to read. Do you see the drop-down thingy
near the top of the page that says "English" (or, perhaps, on your
planet, "Deutsch")? Click on it.

The interface I was referring to is language=foo on the URL.
Please explain how the ability to read gives an understanding of that.

It seems to require source access to find those codes.

No it doesn't.

What is required?

In Internet Explorer, that is easy - View/Source. In Firefox, the option
is more obscure and I can't be bothered finding it.

Right-click on the page, View Page Source.

Thank you.

The source which does the selection is
label class="structural-label" for="languages"Change
language/labelselect name="language" id="languages"option
value="en" selected="selected"English/optionoption value="de"Deutsc
h/option...

The language selectors are en, de, fr, etc.
e.g. to call it in Türkçe(I assume that is Turkish), the URL is
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=tr

Those are the ISO-something-or-other language codes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes seems relevant.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old February 19th 13, 03:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Cantrell" wrote in message
k...
On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 07:30:26AM +0000, Walter Briscoe wrote:
In message id of Sun,
17 Feb 2013 15:23:50 in uk.transport.london, Dr J R Stockton reply1300@
merlyn.demon.co.uk.invalid writes
Presumably the two-letter code for the squiggle squiggle language, which
a squiggle squiggle reader should know. The site goes blank for unknown
codes, which is bad implementation.

I don't believe that this site is designed to facilitate calling it as a
URL in languages other than German - the default language.

What are you smoking?

You seriously think that TfL's website's default language is GERMAN?

Properly written it should, where possible, default to whatever language you
have selected in "Tools" "Internet options" "Languages" (assuming you are
using IE, other browsers will have similar functionality).

Though the chances of that are, of course, slim to none.

tim

Old February 19th 13, 03:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim....." wrote:
[...]

No, it defaults to German, even from my UK iPad
Old February 19th 13, 05:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
"tim....." wrote:
[...]

I'm not disputing what it does

only what it should do

tim

Old February 20th 13, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:13:52PM +0000, Mizter T wrote:

The standard URL for TfL's Journey Planner is...
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

Remove the language string from the URL...
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?
...and you get the page in Deutsch.

Follow the links to get to it from TfL's home page and you get it in
English. The default is therefore English.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

Stepped on something soft and wobbly.
Struck a match.
Found it was a dead Chinaman.

-- Sir George Scott
Old February 20th 13, 02:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote on 20 February 2013
12:32:05 ...
On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:13:52PM +0000, Mizter T wrote:

The standard URL for TfL's Journey Planner is...
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

Remove the language string from the URL...
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?
...and you get the page in Deutsch.

Follow the links to get to it from TfL's home page and you get it in
English. The default is therefore English.

Also http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk gives you English, and I would say
that that is the default URL for the JP subdomain, not one ending with a
? and no folowing text.
--
Richard J.
Old February 21st 13, 07:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Wed, 20 Feb 2013
15:45:24 in uk.transport.london, Richard J.
writes
David Cantrell wrote on 20 February 2013
12:32:05 ...
On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:13:52PM +0000, Mizter T wrote:

The standard URL for TfL's Journey Planner is...
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

Remove the language string from the URL...
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?
...and you get the page in Deutsch.

Follow the links to get to it from TfL's home page and you get it in
English. The default is therefore English.

Also http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk gives you English, and I would
say that that is the default URL for the JP subdomain, not one ending
with a ? and no folowing text.

I agree with the latter argument; I am not sure about the former one.
I am happy to withdraw the point.

Is David Cantrell prepared to apologise for the gratuitous abuse in
What are you smoking?

Old March 11th 13, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2013-02-15 19:34:33 +0000, antoine said:

Dear readers,
in some months I will come to London again, after 45 years!
The airplane will be landing in Gatwick; which is the best (and cheapest)
means to go to London? If it is a railway, in which station shall I get
off the train to be as near as possible to Chelsea?
Thank You for a help!

Slightly surprised nobody has given you the correct answer yet.

Fannying around at Victoria onto buses or tube is no fun at all with luggage.

You don't say where in Chelsea you want to go, but if it's anywhere
near Imperial Wharf or West Brompton, the route you *should* take is
stopping train from Gatwick Airport to London Victoria, but get off at
Clapham Junction (one stop short of Victoria.) Try to sit toward the
rear of the train to ease the interchange.

You'll probably arrive at Clapham at Platform 12, cross over the
footbridge (less grim than the underpass, and if you have heavy luggage
there are lifts) to Platform 1 to catch a London Overground train one
or two stops to either Imperial Wharf or West Brompton.

Much, much, much quicker than the via-Victoria route. (I do it every
other weekend or so from East Croydon, when Chelsea are playing at
home…)