Old March 4th 13, 08:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default SWT platform lengthening

Richard J. wrote

On 02/03/2013 22:34, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

I am still waiting to see how they extend Feltham station. They

seem
to have extended all the other station platforms from Waterloo, but
stopped at Feltham.

You mean the fast line stations.

Isleworth is still only 4 cars long.

The platforms at Isleworth are 165m long, which ought to be long

enough
for 8 cars of 20m. So I'm not sure why an 8-car Class 455 can't fit.

Platform lengthening would be expensive, as it would have to be done
over one of the two road bridges that are adjacent to each end of the

current platforms.

Wikipedia says 8-car slam door stock used to fit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isleworth Railway Station.

SDO that can only do 4 or all is a bit coarse.

--
Mike D

Old March 4th 13, 09:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Monday, February 25, 2013 2:40:18 PM UTC, Peter CS wrote:
wrote in

:

Chessington South could be a problem as its in a cutting. On a totally

non-railway issue after looking at he station on Google Earth, can

anyone tell me why there's a very wide roadbridge to the east of

Tolworth station, that only acts as a access road to Knollmead Primary

School? I used to visit the school occasionally when I worked for the

education authority twenty years ago, but never noticed it before.

I don't know, but I wonder if there was once a plan to extend Jubilee Way

east from where it crosses the A240? The bridge looks contemporary with

the railway, and maybe the plan then was to extend the road through what is

now the Knollmead estate to join the A3, before the Tolworth underpass was

built.

Peter

--

|| Peter CS ~ Epsom ~ UK | pjcs02 [at] gmail.com |

I've looked into this a bit now. The Sunray Estate was built between 1930 and 40, around the same time as the Chessington Branch was constructed. (Keeping in on a railway topic). The bridge was built at the same time, as its visible on the 1945 rollback on Google Earth. It looks like it would have met up with what is now the access road to the garden centre at the junction of the A240 and Jubilee Way. I would think WW2 put an end to further development. Strangely in the 1945 photo the road ends roughly at where the school gates are, maybe when the school was built postwar, the idea was still about and they added a bit of road to suit.
Access from the Sunray Estate has always been a bit of a problem, building the road would have eased that. If you look at the Warren Drives, N & S, where they meet the A3, it looks like something should have been built there to provide access from the Estates. You have to remember the A3 was essentially as is when the war broke out, minus the underpasses and flyovers that came later. The A240 toward Stoneleigh as also in much the same configuration as now, having been widened when the housing estate were built in the inter-war period.

Neill
Old March 13th 13, 12:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 14:39:22 -0800 (PST) wrote :
nd 40, around the same time as the Chessington Branch was constructed.
(Keeping in on a railway topic). The bridge was built at the same time,
as its visible on the 1945 rollback on Google Earth. It looks like it
would have met up with what is now the access road to the garden centre
at the junction of the A240 and Jubilee Way. I would think WW2 put an
end to further development. Strangely in the 1945 photo the road ends
roughly at where the school gates are, maybe when the school was built
postwar, the idea was still about and they added a bit of road to suit.

I left RBK in 1984 so my memory on this is failing but between the wars
there was a planned road from (IIRC) Chessington to Carshalton and parts
of it were built - Sheephouse Way and the very wide bit of South Lane
joining Malden Road, then on to what is now labelled as Risborough Green
on
http://goo.gl/maps/xoty8 and Green Lane, Worcester Park and then it
would have run through to Morden and beyond. The route was subject to
safeguarding until c.1980 when various parts were sold off for development
- I remember one in Chessington (Cox Lane?). It's why you get bits of dual
carriageway or very wide roads in places where you would not expect them.

--
Tony Bryer