Old October 27th 13, 07:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Storm St Jude...

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 16:04:45 +0000, Paul Corfield wrote:

I understand the need for tracks to be checked for damage / fallen trees
but this does all seem a bit OTT.

Presumably they're going to run light engines, engineers trains or ECS
under caution to locate blockages etc, but that probably can't start
until there's enough daylight to make it practical to do so.

I'm assuming they're not planning to patrol everything on foot before
running trains.

--
Denis McMahon,

Old October 27th 13, 07:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:37:02 on Sun, 27 Oct
2013, Derek F remarked:

In '87 I was woken by a crashing sound.

I was awoken by (probably) the sound of wheelie bins being blown down
the street. No doubt they had been put out for an early morning
collection.
Old October 27th 13, 07:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:04:45 on
Sun, 27 Oct 2013, Paul Corfield remarked:

No Southern trains apparently until 0900 or 1000.

Especially poor given that it will double the amount of confusion at
Gatwick, and force more people onto the roads to get to the airport. And
it's not even OHL related.
Old October 27th 13, 07:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:41:31 on Sun, 27 Oct
2013, Denis McMahon remarked:
I understand the need for tracks to be checked for damage / fallen trees
but this does all seem a bit OTT.

Presumably they're going to run light engines, engineers trains or ECS
under caution to locate blockages etc,

What are these "light engines" of which you speak. Especially south of
London.
Old October 27th 13, 08:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 27/10/2013 20:54, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 20:41:31 on Sun, 27 Oct
2013, Denis McMahon remarked:
I understand the need for tracks to be checked for damage / fallen trees
but this does all seem a bit OTT.

Presumably they're going to run light engines, engineers trains or ECS
under caution to locate blockages etc,

What are these "light engines" of which you speak. Especially south of
London.

Class 73s, usually.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old October 27th 13, 08:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 27/10/2013 20:54, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 20:41:31 on Sun, 27 Oct
2013, Denis McMahon remarked:
I understand the need for tracks to be checked for damage / fallen trees
but this does all seem a bit OTT.

Presumably they're going to run light engines, engineers trains or ECS
under caution to locate blockages etc,

What are these "light engines" of which you speak. Especially south of
London.

Class 73s

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old October 27th 13, 08:11 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:44:53 on
Sun, 27 Oct 2013, General remarked:
In the north of Cambs, the highest wind speed is at 9am (under the Met
Office's 3hr granularity). 26mph gusting 45mph, which is quite a bit
lower maximum than for London (eg 33/60 at Heathrow at 6am).
==========================

I really wouldn't take that as gospel - the UKMO warnings system tends
to be a few hours out of date.

It's OK, I went and did my errands, the ones people were advising
against, and didn't encounter any bad weather. Back home now.
Old October 27th 13, 08:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at
21:05:49 on Sun, 27 Oct 2013, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
I understand the need for tracks to be checked for damage / fallen trees
but this does all seem a bit OTT.

Presumably they're going to run light engines, engineers trains or ECS
under caution to locate blockages etc,

What are these "light engines" of which you speak. Especially south of
London.

Class 73s, usually.

Plural? SWT has one.
Old October 27th 13, 09:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

In '87 I was woken by a crashing sound.

I was awoken by (probably) the sound of wheelie bins being blown down the
street. No doubt they had been put out for an early morning collection.

Did they have wheelie bins as early as 1987? I thought they came in a bit
later.

--
My blog: http://adf.ly/4hi4c

Old October 27th 13, 09:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 27/10/2013 21:52, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
21:05:49 on Sun, 27 Oct 2013, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
I understand the need for tracks to be checked for damage / fallen
trees
but this does all seem a bit OTT.

Presumably they're going to run light engines, engineers trains or ECS
under caution to locate blockages etc,

What are these "light engines" of which you speak. Especially south of
London.

Class 73s, usually.

Plural? SWT has one.

And GBRf has some more.