Old November 22nd 13, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL's Google bus maps have gone...

The Google map with a London bus route overlayed onto it has disappeared
from the TfL website.

The URL for this was:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/

The above now redirects to:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/tfl-bus-map/text/

The unofficial 'On A Bus' site has also gone:
http://onabus.com/

I'm guessing this might be because Google has implemented charging and
usage limits for high traffic websites, as described in the blue box
further down on this page:
https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/usage

If so, then TfL should really get on the case and roll out a version
that runs on Open Street Map, which they already use for the bus
countdown maps, e.g.:
http://countdown.tfl.gov.uk/#|searchTerm=71234

Indeed, given the advance warning, this could have been done ages ago.

That said, maybe my guess is wrong, because the journey planner on the
new (beta) TfL website uses Google Maps....
http://beta.tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/

Unless TfL have decided that the Google bus maps should be discontinued,
with the expectation that the new journey planner is a good enough
alternative.

A shame if so, as it was a really useful facility which meant you could
easily look up the exact route a bus takes, and see all the bus stops it
serves.

Old November 25th 13, 07:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22/11/2013 17:30, Mizter T wrote:
The Google map with a London bus route overlayed onto it has disappeared
from the TfL website.

The URL for this was:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/

The above now redirects to:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/tfl-bus-map/text/

The unofficial 'On A Bus' site has also gone:

I was disappointed to see these go, as I too found them very helpful.
However, it seems you can still access a largely equivalent map at
http://countdown.tfl.gov.uk/
Old April 4th 14, 02:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I noticed these maps had gone - and I found them very useful as the journey planner calculator assumes you prefer to change buses rather than have a very short walk! (Even if you tell the system you want fewer changes).

I contacted TFL in December - this was the response:

Thank you for your email regarding the TfL website.
I have investigated this matter and have found that Googlemaps, who provide the software for the interactive map, have recently upgraded from v2 to v3.. We are currently in the process of upgrading our website. As such, the decision was made to not pay the additional cost to maintain v3 on the old website, but include it on the new one, which shall be launched in a few months.
The current maps are a temporary measure, and the interactive maps will be returned once the new website has gone live. I am sorry for the disruption this causes you in the meantime.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Please contact me again if you need any further assistance, or if you would prefer to talk to us about this matter, please call us on 0343 222 1234.

Yours sincerely

Krupa Varsani
Customer Service Adviser
Transport for London Customer Services

The new website is now launched - and guess what - no Google maps bus routes - I have written again to to see if they are planning to live up to their earlier commitments.

Thanks for the heads up on the countdown bus maps Spyke - these would be more useful if the map was larger - zooming out removes too many street names, and zooming in so all street names are shown makes the map cover a very small area.
Old April 4th 14, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(StatusBaby) wrote:

[...]

I have to say I find the new Google maps infuriating and much harder to use
than the old version.

--
Colin Rosenstiel