Old February 4th 04, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default My train is on fire!

"dave F" wrote in message ...

I used to travel on the Northern line for many years ago and that sort of
thing occurred almost every 3 months!

One occasion I had to knock on the drivers door to tell him the train was on
fire and he replied "Bloody hell!". I can laugh about it now but at the time
I was sharing the carriage with a mother who had a baby in a pram and when
you actually see a flame its not at all nice.

You have to wonder what would (does?) happen if some of the newspaper & tissues
etc that people drop around the system were to get lodged in some hot traction
equipment. I imagine this could be quite likely to happen in a tunnel section.

B2003
Old February 4th 04, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar schrieb:
You have to wonder what would (does?) happen if some of the newspaper & tissues
etc that people drop around the system were to get lodged in some hot traction
equipment. I imagine this could be quite likely to happen in a tunnel section.

Something similar happened on the Hamburg S-Bahn system last autumn,
debris left in tunnels caught fire. The result was a ten-day block of
the relevant tunnel, 3 stations and approx. 4 km of tunnel where every
surface was covered with corrosive residues making it necessary to clean
the entire tunnel, a burnt-out power substation, destroyed signalling,
power, phone and data cables and a half-frequency train service for the
following 6 weeks.
Old February 4th 04, 10:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Gunnar Thöle wrote in message ...
Boltar schrieb:
You have to wonder what would (does?) happen if some of the newspaper & tissues
etc that people drop around the system were to get lodged in some hot traction
equipment. I imagine this could be quite likely to happen in a tunnel section.

Something similar happened on the Hamburg S-Bahn system last autumn,
debris left in tunnels caught fire. The result was a ten-day block of
the relevant tunnel, 3 stations and approx. 4 km of tunnel where every
surface was covered with corrosive residues making it necessary to clean
the entire tunnel, a burnt-out power substation, destroyed signalling,
power, phone and data cables and a half-frequency train service for the
following 6 weeks.

GASP! That's pretty large-scale!

If that happened on TfL two years ago we'd STILL be waiting for
resumption of services...although I thought the cleaning ladies who
travel through the LUL network at night removed debris anyway, so it's
not likely to happen, correct?

Brad

Old February 5th 04, 05:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

om...

Boltar schrieb:
[...]

Errrr, we got rid of the "fluffers" donkey's years ago, replaced 'em with a
giant track-borne hoover. Which I belive broke down about 2 years ago, ain't
been fixed yet. Languishing in NFDT last time I looked...
--
Cheers, Steve.
If The Good Lord had meant for us to be fiscally prudent, He would not have

Old February 6th 04, 05:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Steve
Dulieu writes

If that happened on TfL two years ago we'd STILL be waiting for
resumption of services...although I thought the cleaning ladies who
travel through the LUL network at night removed debris anyway, so it's
not likely to happen, correct?

Errrr, we got rid of the "fluffers" donkey's years ago, replaced 'em with a
giant track-borne hoover. Which I belive broke down about 2 years ago, ain't
been fixed yet. Languishing in NFDT last time I looked...

I saw it moving along the Rayners branch a few weeks ago. I believe Mr
Dyson has contributed a few bits and it's been mended.
Old February 7th 04, 09:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote in message
om...
"dave F" wrote in message

I used to travel on the Northern line for many years ago and that sort

of
thing occurred almost every 3 months!

One occasion I had to knock on the drivers door to tell him the train

was on
fire and he replied "Bloody hell!". I can laugh about it now but at the

time
I was sharing the carriage with a mother who had a baby in a pram and

when
you actually see a flame its not at all nice.

You have to wonder what would (does?) happen if some of the newspaper &

tissues
etc that people drop around the system were to get lodged in some hot

traction
equipment. I imagine this could be quite likely to happen in a tunnel

section.

B2003

Not only that hair and skin! They usually send a squad down each tunnel at
night to basically hand pick all of the rubbish that seems to build up in
the tunnels.

daveF