Old February 10th 04, 11:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Trackbashers alert: Primrose Hill NOW!

Once upon a time, Gavin Hamilton
spake thus:

I've done Watford - Chester(reverse on triangle) - Newton-Le-Willows -
Lancaster!

I did something like that (except coming out of Birminghm) on 1S19 one
night in 1987, with IIRC a 31 on the top of 16 coaches!

A bashers delight that trip.

Indeed!

--
- Jack.

http://www.tabbyvans.co.uk -- For 'purrfect' caravan holidays!
Old February 11th 04, 07:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Jack" wrote in message
Once upon a time, Gavin Hamilton
spake thus:

I've done Watford - Chester(reverse on triangle) - Newton-Le-Willows -
Lancaster!

I did something like that (except coming out of Birminghm) on 1S19 one
night in 1987, with IIRC a 31 on the top of 16 coaches!

A bashers delight that trip.

Indeed!

Which brings to mind a strange trip from West Byfleet to Stirling one sunday
in about 1976. Euston - Glasgow took in Sandbach. Glasgow - Stirling was
from Central, and I've never been able to work out exactly where that train
went on the way to Stirling:-)

Old February 11th 04, 08:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Gavin Hamilton" wrote in message

Which brings to mind a strange trip from West Byfleet to Stirling one

sunday
in about 1976. Euston - Glasgow took in Sandbach. Glasgow - Stirling was
from Central, and I've never been able to work out exactly where that

train
went on the way to Stirling:-)

I travelled on the Royal Scot in 1975 when it was dragged from Stockport to
Preston via Manchester Victoria, following a collision between freight
trains at Weaver Junction. I even noted passing times at Reddish South and
Denton.

In the early 1970s, when a number of WCML trains were diverted via
Kilmarnock because of the electrification works on the Beattock route, a
Perth to Glasgow Central and return connecting service was put on. Initially
it seems to have run via Coatbridge Central, Motherwell, then non-stop to
Central via Hamilton. Later it took the direct route from Coatbridge, using
the line now used by the Glasgow - Whifflet trains.

Peter

Old February 18th 04, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
A H A H is offline

"Jack" wrote in message
Once upon a time, Gavin Hamilton
spake thus:

I've done Watford - Chester(reverse on triangle) - Newton-Le-Willows -
Lancaster!

I did something like that (except coming out of Birminghm) on 1S19 one
night in 1987, with IIRC a 31 on the top of 16 coaches!

A bashers delight that trip.

Indeed!

Which brings to mind a strange trip from West Byfleet to Stirling one

sunday
in about 1976. Euston - Glasgow took in Sandbach. Glasgow - Stirling was
from Central, and I've never been able to work out exactly where that

train
went on the way to Stirling:-)

Queen Street high-level must have been closed due to engineering works and
services transferred to Central high-level. Your journey that day will have
been either Central-Rutherglen Junction-Hamilton West/Hamilton
Central-Motherwell-Coatbridge Central-Cumbernauld-Stirling or direct from
Rutherglen Junction to Motherwell and then north via Coatbridge/Cumbernauld.
I once got on a train at Queen Street going to Edinburgh, it went through
the tunnel out of Queen Street (high-level) and then suddenly started to
reverse (most alarming) and then went onto the old Glasgow Buchanan
Street-Stirling line (now Queen St-Stepps-Cumbernauld line). It rejoined the
Glasgow-Edinburgh mainline at Larbet, outside Falkirk, went on to the start
of the Forth Bridge and then suddenly started to reverse back along the same
line. Major engineering works that Sunday, adding about 15 mins to a
Glasgow-Edinburgh inter-city journey and caused alarm to many passengers due
to 2 sudden reversals!

Expect even more exotic diversions once the Glasgow Crossrail route opens in
a few years time as it will connect Glasgow Central high-level (and a new
West Street mainline/underground interchange) with Queen Street (both high
and low-level stations). During engineering weekends there'll be lots of
bewildered travellers saying "Where the f*^% are we?" !! Great that Glasgow
is going to have a cross-city line and 3 new city centre stations, once
Crossrail opens.

Primrose Hill Station - just before demolition 1506 London Transport 0 January 9th 09 04:21 PM
Primrose Hill 1506 London Transport 5 December 15th 08 03:32 PM
Primrose Hill 1506 London Transport 0 December 14th 08 09:14 PM
Old cars or bikes wtd for Primrose Hill Summer Festival, Saturday 25th June 2005 [email protected] London Transport 1 April 26th 05 02:53 PM
Trackbashers alert ( was Greenford Branch - two collisions today?) John Rowland London Transport 3 October 27th 04 09:16 AM