Old December 14th 08, 09:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default Primrose Hill

On Dec 14, 1:54*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 14 Dec, 20:10, (Neil Williams)
wrote:

I note that the station buildings have sadly been demolished. *Anyone
know why - had they got into a dangerous state?

It's only the canopy that's gone, the main station building is still
there, as is the island platform (the stairs linking the two are long
gone, however).

Actually that's not quite true - the various single storey buildings
(substations?) on the south side of the line adjacent to the station
have also been recently demolished.

What would it take to bring the station back into use, apart from
train service? Would it be better to rebuild Primrose Hill station
from scratch?

Old December 14th 08, 09:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:13:57 -0800 (PST), 1506
wrote:

What would it take to bring the station back into use, apart from
train service? Would it be better to rebuild Primrose Hill station
from scratch?

Well, all that's usefully left is a platform. (The roadside building
is a restaurant, I think - I was referring mainly to the canopy,
though I thought perhaps wrongly that there was a building under
that). I just found it (like wartime Euxton ROF in Lancashire which
has gone, though it is being replaced by a newly built station at some
stage, I think quite soon) fascinating - a dead station, but otherwise
almost intact.

I suspect if reopening was justified, building something on the in-use
DC line to Euston would be better. But there are plenty of other
transport options from the area, so it'd probably be pointless.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old December 14th 08, 09:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

What would it take to bring the station back into use, apart from
train service? Would it be better to rebuild Primrose Hill station
from scratch?

Well, all that's usefully left is a platform. (The roadside building
is a restaurant, I think - I was referring mainly to the canopy,
though I thought perhaps wrongly that there was a building under
that). I just found it (like wartime Euxton ROF in Lancashire which
has gone, though it is being replaced by a newly built station at some
stage, I think quite soon) fascinating - a dead station, but otherwise
almost intact.

I suspect if reopening was justified, building something on the in-use
DC line to Euston would be better. But there are plenty of other
transport options from the area, so it'd probably be pointless.

Apparently the recently diverted service during the engineering works
was rather popular and a lot of questions have been asked about a
permanent service. Whether that included any pressure local to primrose
hill I do not know. There are apparently big issues relating to
signalling capacity on the DC lines so extra trains cannot be squeezed
in without sacrificing something else.
--
Paul C
Old December 14th 08, 10:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On 14 Dec, 22:13, 1506 wrote:
What would it take to bring the station back into use, apart from
train service? *Would it be better to rebuild Primrose Hill station
from scratch?

There's nowhere else nearby to build platforms, so it'd have to stay
where it is. But really it just needs the platform resurfacing, a
replacement canopy, and stairs up to street level, either repossessing
and refurbishing the original building or maybe putting in new access
at the Roundhouse end, which would be marginally closer to Chalk Farm
station.

Old December 14th 08, 10:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

"1506" wrote in message
On Dec 14, 1:54 pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 14 Dec, 20:10, (Neil Williams)
wrote:

I note that the station buildings have sadly been demolished. Anyone
know why - had they got into a dangerous state?

It's only the canopy that's gone, the main station building is still
there, as is the island platform (the stairs linking the two are long
gone, however).

Actually that's not quite true - the various single storey buildings
(substations?) on the south side of the line adjacent to the station
have also been recently demolished.

What would it take to bring the station back into use, apart from
train service?

-----

Get rid of the Treasury & DfT, and the rail franchise system ?

Bevan

Old December 15th 08, 03:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Dec 14, 3:21*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 14 Dec, 22:13, 1506 wrote:

What would it take to bring the station back into use, apart from
train service? *Would it be better to rebuild Primrose Hill station
from scratch?

There's nowhere else nearby to build platforms, so it'd have to stay
where it is. But really it just needs the platform resurfacing, a
replacement canopy, and stairs up to street level, either repossessing
and refurbishing the original building or maybe putting in new access
at the Roundhouse end, which would be marginally closer to Chalk Farm
station.

One wonders how practical it would be to extend the subsurface passage
at Chalk Farm and access the Primrose Hill platform from below. IIRC
the passageway is on the south side of Haverstock Hill/Chalk Farm Road.

Primrose Hill route in passenger use this Sunday Basil Jet[_4_] London Transport 1 September 26th 14 06:11 PM
Primrose Hill Station - just before demolition 1506 London Transport 0 January 9th 09 04:21 PM
Primrose Hill 1506 London Transport 0 December 14th 08 09:14 PM
Old cars or bikes wtd for Primrose Hill Summer Festival, Saturday 25th June 2005 [email protected] London Transport 1 April 26th 05 02:53 PM
Trackbashers alert: Primrose Hill NOW! John Rowland London Transport 24 February 18th 04 06:40 PM