Old June 5th 14, 10:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow's new Terminal 2 opened this morning

" wrote:
On 05/06/2014 01:36, Recliner wrote:
wrote:
In article , (Peter Smyth) wrote:

Recliner wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

Thankfully a bit more low-key than the 'triumphant' opening of T5
in 2008!

Yes, they're sensibly phasing it in gradually over several months.
I'm not sure of the plans for T1 after this -- some of its gates will
be transferred to the new T2, but I assume the rest of T1 will then
be rebuilt in phases. I think it'll all be called T2, leaving T1 as
the number for the new terminal for the third runway.

I think ultimately it will be called Heathrow East, with T5 becoming
Heathrow West.

And T4? Heathrow South?

Yes, on that basis it would, with T3 becoming Heathrow Central and T6 being
Heathrow North. But I think they'll probably stick to numbers.

This means that TfL will have to go through the effort of renaming Tube
Stations, reprogramming Sonia, as well as replacing signs and
destinations indicators. The same will apply for busses.

Yes, those are some of the many reasons to stick with numbers as far as
passengers are concerned. Another would be that it's easier for non-English
speakers to look for terminal numbers rather than names. The numbers are
more concise, too. For example, the T5 satellites are called T5B and T5C,
which is much better than West Terminal B and C.

A further one is that geographic directions are already used within
terminals. For example, I like to use the BA North rather than South
Galleries Club lounge in T5; it would be confusing if there were also North
and South terminals.