Old June 4th 14, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Boris bus in serious accident

Old June 4th 14, 11:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

H'mm, four men in their 20s, travelling with (or racing?) another car, at
2:20am, at a high enough speed to kill one and critically injure another...
What could possibly be wrong with that?
Old June 4th 14, 12:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message

, at 06:51:36 on Wed, 4 Jun 2014, Recliner

remarked:
H'mm, four men in their 20s, travelling with (or racing?) another car, at
2:20am, at a high enough speed to kill one and critically injure another...
What could possibly be wrong with that?

Yes, it sounds like the car which crashed was overtaking another, which
apparently fled the scene. The bus tried to swerve to avoid (from the
photos) to no avail.
Old June 4th 14, 01:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014-06-04 12:03:19 +0000, Roland Perry said:

In message

, at 06:51:36 on Wed, 4 Jun 2014, Recliner

remarked:
H'mm, four men in their 20s, travelling with (or racing?) another car, at
2:20am, at a high enough speed to kill one and critically injure another...
What could possibly be wrong with that?

Yes, it sounds like the car which crashed was overtaking another, which
apparently fled the scene. The bus tried to swerve to avoid (from the
photos) to no avail.

"Boris Johnson told reporters that the bus driver was ‘probably not at fault’."
http://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/news...rash_1_3627559

Well that's nice of him.
I know that road well - I thought there were speed cameras near the
crash site but maybe I'm mistaken.
E.

Old June 4th 14, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/06/2014 14:16, eastender wrote:

[...]
H'mm, four men in their 20s, travelling with (or racing?) another
car, at 2:20am, at a high enough speed to kill one and critically
injure another...
What could possibly be wrong with that?

Yes, it sounds like the car which crashed was overtaking another,
which apparently fled the scene. The bus tried to swerve to avoid
(from the photos) to no avail.

"Boris Johnson told reporters that the bus driver was ‘probably not at
fault’."
http://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/news...rash_1_3627559

Well that's nice of him.

I can't really see anything wrong with what he said (apart, perhaps,
from the thought that he might not have commented on it at all were it
not for the model of bus involved).

I know that road well - I thought there were speed cameras near the
crash site but maybe I'm mistaken.

There is at least one speed camera on that stretch, but they don't
necessarily stop such antics - slamming on the anchors to avoid getting
flashed just becomes part of the challenge, before then letting fly
again once the speed camera's road markings have been passed.

I'm tempted to say that as long as there are young men, with access to
cars, then perhaps some amount of boy racer idiocy is inevitable. (Not
remotely in the same league, but I can recall some none too sensible
motorvehicle-related behaviour in my younger years.)

Old June 4th 14, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
On 04/06/2014 14:16, eastender wrote:

[...]
H'mm, four men in their 20s, travelling with (or racing?) another
car, at 2:20am, at a high enough speed to kill one and critically
injure another...
What could possibly be wrong with that?

Yes, it sounds like the car which crashed was overtaking another,
which apparently fled the scene. The bus tried to swerve to avoid
(from the photos) to no avail.

"Boris Johnson told reporters that the bus driver was ‘probably not at
fault’."
http://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/news...rash_1_3627559

Well that's nice of him.

I can't really see anything wrong with what he said (apart, perhaps, from
the thought that he might not have commented on it at all were it not for
the model of bus involved).

I wonder if he volunteered the comment, or was answering a reporter's
question? Probably the latter, I imagine.

I assume that Boris buses have lots of cameras, no doubt some
forward-facing, so they may have a good record of what happened.

I know that road well - I thought there were speed cameras near the
crash site but maybe I'm mistaken.

There is at least one speed camera on that stretch, but they don't
necessarily stop such antics - slamming on the anchors to avoid getting
flashed just becomes part of the challenge, before then letting fly again
once the speed camera's road markings have been passed.

Yes, they probably view it as basically a sort of electronic chicane on the
virtual race track.
Old June 4th 14, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/06/2014 14:41, Recliner wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

On 04/06/2014 14:16, eastender wrote:
[...]
"Boris Johnson told reporters that the bus driver was ‘probably not at
fault’."
http://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/news...rash_1_3627559

Well that's nice of him.

I can't really see anything wrong with what he said (apart, perhaps, from
the thought that he might not have commented on it at all were it not for
the model of bus involved).

I wonder if he volunteered the comment, or was answering a reporter's
question? Probably the latter, I imagine.

I'd guess so too.

I assume that Boris buses have lots of cameras, no doubt some
forward-facing, so they may have a good record of what happened.

I know that road well - I thought there were speed cameras near the
crash site but maybe I'm mistaken.

There is at least one speed camera on that stretch, but they don't
necessarily stop such antics - slamming on the anchors to avoid getting
flashed just becomes part of the challenge, before then letting fly again
once the speed camera's road markings have been passed.

Yes, they probably view it as basically a sort of electronic chicane on the
virtual race track.

Also, the nearby Orient Way (junction onto Lea Bridge Road) is I think a
bit of a racetrack at night (a bit during the day too).
Old June 4th 14, 02:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014-06-04 13:55:14 +0000, Mizter T said:

I wonder if he volunteered the comment, or was answering a reporter's
question? Probably the latter, I imagine.

I'd guess so too.

There's a fuller quote here and a better picture showing how narrow the
road is at that point - there's a bus lane not far off from where the
bus is, eastbound.

Mayor of London Boris Johnson told LBC Radio this morning: "All I can
really say is that it doesn't look to us as though the bus driver was
at fault, but clearly there will have to be an investigation."
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...r-9481901.html

I just thing it's a bit odd that there would be any question of the bus
driver being at fault at this stage.

E.

Old June 4th 14, 02:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014-06-04 13:55:14 +0000, Mizter T said:

I wonder if he volunteered the comment, or was answering a reporter's
question? Probably the latter, I imagine.
I'd guess so too.

There's a fuller quote here and a better picture showing how narrow the
road is at that point - there's a bus lane not far off from where the bus is, eastbound.

Mayor of London Boris Johnson told LBC Radio this morning: "All I can
really say is that it doesn't look to us as though the bus driver was at
fault, but clearly there will have to be an investigation."
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...r-9481901.html

I just thing it's a bit odd that there would be any question of the bus
driver being at fault at this stage.

Well at least the bus driver was reasonably well protected in the smash,
despite the car running right into the cab. Who'd want to be a night bus
driver? And it sounds like at least one if the car passengers wasn't
wearing a seat belt.
Old June 4th 14, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

On 2014-06-04 13:55:14 +0000, Mizter T said:

[...]

Someone was killed and they 'fled the scene.' Hope they catch the b'stards and jail them for a long time. But they'll probably get a soft sentence, a nice room, three good meals a day, access to a gym, and the latest play station.

CJB.