Old June 25th 14, 07:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL acknowledges contactless technology risk

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 20:48:45 +0100, (Mark Bestley)
wrote:

Scott wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 12:18:07 -0700 (PDT), CJB
wrote:

From RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest Tuesday 24 June 2014 Volume 28 :
Issue 04

Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 19:41:13 +0100 From: Wm redacted

Subject: London transport authority acknowledges contactless technology
risk

How many organisations have warned users of their cards about the risks
vs how many have been discovered and reported ?

I was checking the balance on my Oyster card [1] on-line and noticed
this:

http://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments...ter/card-clash

= = = =

Card clash

Keeping your Oyster card in your wallet or purse with other cards could
cause card clash.

This all looks like commonsense to me - and I only visit the capital
occasionally.

Yes but I currently have one holder for all cards - who will pay for the
extra holders I need now?

I thought Oyster card holders were issued free of charge.

Can Tfl assure me that I get a red light and not credit the wrong card.

If you keep the other card out of the way, I assume this will be the
situation. If you pay using the wrong card, is it the end of the
world?

The current system works. How can I keep it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...l_64zigqui40_b

Old June 26th 14, 07:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:30:47 on
Wed, 25 Jun 2014, Scott remarked:
Can Tfl assure me that I get a red light and not credit the wrong card.

If you keep the other card out of the way, I assume this will be the
situation. If you pay using the wrong card, is it the end of the
world?

If you touch in and out with different cards, you will get two
unresolved journeys (unless they a scheme for registering multiple
credit cards to one account and combining all the day's touches - which
I don't think is what they do).
Old June 26th 14, 07:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26/06/2014 08:00, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 20:30:47 on
Wed, 25 Jun 2014, Scott remarked:
Can Tfl assure me that I get a red light and not credit the wrong card.

If you keep the other card out of the way, I assume this will be the
situation. If you pay using the wrong card, is it the end of the
world?

If you touch in and out with different cards, you will get two
unresolved journeys (unless they a scheme for registering multiple
credit cards to one account and combining all the day's touches - which
I don't think is what they do).

That's definitely not on the agenda - apart from the massively
unnecessary systems complication and equally spectacular user confusion
it'd cause, it would also enable two or more people to travel around
concurrently and have their journeys capped that day as if they were one
person.
Old June 26th 14, 07:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
[...]

Yes, that's a very good point.
Old June 26th 14, 08:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:17:03 on Thu, 26 Jun
2014, Mizter T remarked:
Can Tfl assure me that I get a red light and not credit the wrong card.

If you keep the other card out of the way, I assume this will be the
situation. If you pay using the wrong card, is it the end of the
world?

If you touch in and out with different cards, you will get two
unresolved journeys (unless they a scheme for registering multiple
credit cards to one account and combining all the day's touches - which
I don't think is what they do).

That's definitely not on the agenda - apart from the massively
unnecessary systems complication

It's be very simple, just one additional look-up to be done when the
back-office system post-processes the day's transactions.

and equally spectacular user confusion it'd cause,

I don't think we've the heard the end of this double-unresolved-journey
thing. It's a PR accident just waiting to happen.

it would also enable two or more people to travel around concurrently
and have their journeys capped that day as if they were one person.

That is a more significant issue, but it does illustrate that if you are
prepared to loan your card to someone, then the day's cap is already
transferable between two or more people. I wonder if we will see people
getting pre-paid credit cards with small balances on them, and sharing
them as travel tickets between a group of friends (eg flatmates).

Hmm, now that's got me thinking. How do you "load" a young person's
railcard onto a contactless credit card, or will this be done by having
your online account marked as being associated with a railcard that's
been presented to the system somehow, somewhere.

Old June 26th 14, 09:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

news
wrote:

Scott wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 12:18:07 -0700 (PDT), CJB
wrote:

From RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest Tuesday 24 June 2014 Volume 28 :
Issue 04

Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 19:41:13 +0100 From: Wm redacted

risk

How many organisations have warned users of their cards about the risks
vs how many have been discovered and reported ?

I was checking the balance on my Oyster card [1] on-line and noticed
this:

http://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments...ter/card-clash

= = = =

Card clash

Keeping your Oyster card in your wallet or purse with other cards could
cause card clash.

This all looks like commonsense to me - and I only visit the capital
occasionally.

Yes but I currently have one holder for all cards - who will pay for the
extra holders I need now?

I thought Oyster card holders were issued free of charge.

you can't put you non-Oyster card in an Oyster wallet. You'd never know
which was which

tim

Old June 26th 14, 11:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:17:55 on Thu, 26
Jun 2014, tim..... remarked:
I thought Oyster card holders were issued free of charge.

you can't put you non-Oyster card in an Oyster wallet. You'd never
know which was which

Never heard of marker pens?

Old June 26th 14, 01:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:50:20 on Thu, 26
Jun 2014, tim..... remarked:
you can't put you non-Oyster card in an Oyster wallet. You'd never
know which was which

Never heard of marker pens?

rubs off

Use an indelible one.
Old June 26th 14, 01:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 14:50:20 on Thu, 26 Jun
2014, tim..... remarked:
you can't put you non-Oyster card in an Oyster wallet. You'd never know
which was which

Never heard of marker pens?

rubs off

Use an indelible one.