Old July 5th 14, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default FCC censoring information at Luton Airport Parkway

In message , at 23:59:26 on Fri,
4 Jul 2014, Theo Markettos remarked:
Cambridge to Luton Airport via King's Cross is a bit of a long way round and
charged as such. You can do train to Hitchin, then bus, then coach but you
might as well get the coach through from Cambridge.

A taxi from Luton Airport to Hitchin then the train has got me out of
trouble a few times when I've missed the last bus. The taxi was about 18
quid, so it can't be too far away.

Using my rule of thumb that such taxis are ~£2/mile, I'm happy to
confirm it's 10 miles [google maps].

Old July 5th 14, 06:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 13:07:05 +0100
Recliner wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 21:35:58 +0100, Neil Williams
wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 15:08:42 -0500, Recliner
wrote:
True, it happens to me. Of course, with the new air-conditioned S

stock
trains, the doors soon close during a long stop, but can be opened

again as
long as the door buttons remain illuminated.

The door buttons have been removed on the refurbished Northern Line
stock (which looks like it should be on the Picc as the interior is
the wrong colour).

Have the door buttons ever been functional on the 1995 TS? LU
certainly hasn't been very consistent about the fitting and usage of
door buttons over the years.

Didn't they do the same on the D stock? Must depend on what group of directors
are in charge at any given time whether the trains get door buttons or not,
though you'd think it would be simpler and cost less to leave buttons already
there in place, not to mention the short sightedness of removing functionality
for no apparent gain.

--
Spud

Old July 7th 14, 09:33 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
The door buttons have been removed on the refurbished Northern Line
stock (which looks like it should be on the Picc as the interior is
the wrong colour).

Have the door buttons ever been functional on the 1995 TS?

I've seem them in use once, I think in early 1999. It was a snowy day and
as we headed north and left the tunnel at East Finchley the driver made an
announcement that he was going to switch the doors to manual to keep a bit
of heat inside and we would have to press the button to open the doors.

Old July 7th 14, 12:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message of Mon, 7 Jul
2014 10:33:50 in uk.railway, David Walters writes
wrote:
The door buttons have been removed on the refurbished Northern Line
stock (which looks like it should be on the Picc as the interior is
the wrong colour).

Have the door buttons ever been functional on the 1995 TS?

I've seem them in use once, I think in early 1999. It was a snowy day and
as we headed north and left the tunnel at East Finchley the driver made an
announcement that he was going to switch the doors to manual to keep a bit
of heat inside and we would have to press the button to open the doors.

I was at Mill Hill East on a cold winter's morning. (I think in 2013.)
The staff closed all doors but one on each carriage.

Given that customer door controls operate on S7 and S8 stock and on
London Overground trains, it may be appropriate to reinstate them, at
least at outdoor London Underground termini. Carriages at High Barnet
and Cockfosters can be bitterly cold in winter.
--
Walter Briscoe