Old September 7th 14, 02:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default As predicted, Boris Island sunk

In message , at 15:24:56 on Sun, 7 Sep
2014, tim..... remarked:
never disposes of material things until they have worn out

It's the list of things that I do that the press regularly complains
that people don't do that wastes energy

How strictly is "dispose of" correlated with "throw away"?

I was just making the point that I don't:

wear something once and never again

or replace electrical goods because they aren't the latest colour,

or even because they don't have the most recent number on the front

It's also possible to sell things, freecycle/eBay/Gumtree, give to
friends/relatives/neighbours/Oxfam and so on.

I know, but that isn't always a useful disposal, and if the person who
buys it is only going to wear it once and than they throw it away, it
hasn't solved the problem

Ah, perhaps when you said "material" you mainly meant "clothing" rather
than "tangible".

Does a PC that'll only run Windows XP now qualify as "worn out",

I don't know.

I've never got a PC to last longer than about 4 years without "blowing
up" in some way.

Gosh. My laptop is over four years old and I still regard it as "new".
My desktop PC is coming up for ten years old and the only real problem
with it is the XP [I have upgraded its HDD capacity though].

Old September 7th 14, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin9 wrote:
Mizter T;144379 Wrote:
On 03/09/2014 00:23, Recliner wrote:
-
wrote:-
[...]
They aren't being very rational then. The time to Gatwick from central
London is as good as that to Heathrow, especially if you don't pay the
extortionate fares on Heathrow Express.-

Many Heathrow passengers come from locations other than Central London.
live in West London, and Heathrow is far more convenient than any
other
airport. Gatwick is only good for people near Victoria or Thameslink
stations.-

Ever heard of a small station called Clapham Junction? Or noticed all
those railway lines in south London that can get one to East Croydon?
etc etc...

Has Boris Johnson or London Underground ever heard of Clapham Junction?

They are extending the Northern Line to a housing development on the
site of
the old Battersea Power Station instead of to Clapham Junction and
Wandsworth even though Wandsworth Council have offered to pay for the
extension to Wandsworth.

Isn't it because they're afraid that every Northern Line train would leave
Clapham Junction already loaded to capacity in the rush hour, leaving no
space for the Battersea residents and workers who've paid for the
extension? Crossrail 2 is planned as the way to get people from Clapham
Junction directly to Central London.

That Clapham Junction is not on the London Underground remains the most
absurd anomaly of London's public transport system

True
Old September 7th 14, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 7 Sep 2014 15:34:17 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:24:56 on Sun, 7 Sep
Gosh. My laptop is over four years old and I still regard it as "new".
My desktop PC is coming up for ten years old and the only real problem
with it is the XP [I have upgraded its HDD capacity though].

I've still got a machine from 99 that I use for backup. Still works perfectly
plus it has a pair of old style RS232 serial ports which come in handy
occasionally which is why I'm hanging onto it until it dies.

--
Spud

Old September 7th 14, 04:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 09:58:43 -0500
Recliner wrote:
That Clapham Junction is not on the London Underground remains the most
absurd anomaly of London's public transport system

True

Any tube station built to clapham junction would almost certainly become
overcrowded from day 1 as huge numbers of city workers avoided the central
london termini.

--
Spud

Old September 7th 14, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 07/09/2014 15:58, Recliner wrote:

Robin9 wrote:
[...]
Ever heard of a small station called Clapham Junction? Or noticed all
those railway lines in south London that can get one to East Croydon?
etc etc...

Has Boris Johnson or London Underground ever heard of Clapham Junction?

They are extending the Northern Line to a housing development on the
site of the old Battersea Power Station instead of to Clapham Junction
and Wandsworth even though Wandsworth Council have offered to pay for
the extension to Wandsworth.

Isn't it because they're afraid that every Northern Line train would leave
Clapham Junction already loaded to capacity in the rush hour, leaving no
space for the Battersea residents and workers who've paid for the
extension? Crossrail 2 is planned as the way to get people from Clapham
Junction directly to Central London.

That's exactly why. Robin should visit Clapham Jn during the peak and
he'd quickly see that any Northern line extension would be completely
overrun.

(Similar logic applies to the hypothetical extension of the Victoria
line south from Brixton to Streatham - Streathamites would love it, but
it's already over capacity.)
Old September 7th 14, 09:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/09/2014 21:21, d wrote:

JNugent wrote:
d wrote:

But what I'm saying is there should be a limit on flights.

Why?

Are you unable to read or just stupid?

Neither of those.

Try and figure it out from previous posts.

Why?

Are you unable to justify your desire to prevent others from living
their lives as they wish and to force them to be like you?

If that means people can't
go to New York or Ibiza or wherever the next day then thats just too bad.

The market takes care of that. An immediate ticket LHR - JFK costs a LOT
of money (more than I'd care to pay).

Like the market took care of acid rain, NOx in car exhaust, DDT etc?

Those things are not subject to market pressures so you wouldn't expect
the market to "deal" with them. Not if you have any common sense, at least.

Do you actually know anything about economics?

The market is merely the result of individual self interest.

Correct.

Sometimes that self interest needs to be tempered in the
interests of everyone as a whole.

And you should be the temperer, right?

Only children expect to get what they want straight away. Society is
infantilised enough already.

You say that people travelling at short notice to the places they wish
to travel to are childish, do you?

If its simply for recreation then I'm saying people who get ****ed off because
they can't are, yes.

But they *can*, if they are prepared to pay the spot price.

I assume you exempt yourself from that.

Yup.

Right.

Old September 8th 14, 06:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
On 03/09/2014 14:53, Recliner wrote:

On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 13:40:12 +0100, Mizter T
wrote:

On 02/09/2014 07:57, Recliner wrote:
To no-ones's surprise, Boris Island hasn't made the airport expansion short
list. Indeed, it's only pressure from Boris that left it on the list for so
long at all. So what remains are three options, two for Heathrow expansion,
and one for Gatwick. The business vote strongly favours Heathrow, but
Gatwick is easier politically. The decision is due after the election, and
I wonder which will win?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29026484

Gatwick. Eventually.

So why all the procrastination then? The reason they keep deferring
the decision is that Heathrow is the only one that makes economic
sense, but it's politically very difficult. The only safe time to
choose it is right after an election.

It's political dynamite! The parties policies on the airports question
going into the general election could be interesting - that said, they
might well just say 'we'll follow the recommendations of the Airports
Commission', when said recommendations (when they arrive) aren't likely
to offer such an easy get out of jail free card. Individual candidates
might do their own thing anyway.

My reckoning is that Heathrow expansion will ultimately just be too
politically toxic a path to take (remember the widespread pre-2010 opposition).

If a decision was made to expand Heathrow, I wouldn't necessarily
consider that the end of the story.

Maybe not so politically toxic after all?

From
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...rd-runway.html

Quote:

"The Ipsos Mori poll, seen by The Telegraph, of 143 MPs, including 58
Conservatives and 66 Labour MPs, is the first commissioned by the airport
since a third runway was controversially put back on the table through the
Airports Commission inquiry, which has short-listed two possible designs
for expansion at the hub.

A decision by the last Government to expand Heathrow was over-turned by the
Coalition and opponents have since claimed that there would be
insurmountable political hurdles even if a third runway is recommended by
the commission in its final report next year.

The opinion poll shows that 88pc of the MPs questioned believe a hub
airport, such as Heathrow, is “critical” to Britain’s future economic
success. When asked which option they thought would best solve the issue of
hub airport capacity in the UK, 58pc answered a third runway at Heathrow
while 13pc backed a second air strip at Gatwick.

Just 8pc favoured a new airport in the Thames Estuary - the Mayor’s
preferred option which was last week ruled out by the commission.

Only 4pc backed a scheme put forward by Heathrow Hub, a private company
backed by the former JP Morgan Cazenove banker, Ian Hannam, to extend
Heathrow’s existing northern runway and effectively operate it as two air
strips."
Old September 8th 14, 08:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 22:22:15 +0100
JNugent wrote:
On 06/09/2014 21:21, d wrote:

JNugent wrote:
d wrote:

But what I'm saying is there should be a limit on flights.

Why?

Are you unable to read or just stupid?

Neither of those.

And yet...

Try and figure it out from previous posts.

Why?

Well you see , the point of a post is so you can read it and the point
doesn't have to be made again for people too stupid to understand it
first time.

Are you unable to justify your desire to prevent others from living
their lives as they wish and to force them to be like you?

Everyone living their lives exactly the way they want with no regards to
anyone else is whats known as anarchy.

Like the market took care of acid rain, NOx in car exhaust, DDT etc?

Those things are not subject to market pressures so you wouldn't expect
the market to "deal" with them. Not if you have any common sense, at least.

Oh, well do explain how aircraft noise and pollution is subject to market
pressures then.

Do you actually know anything about economics?

Somewhat more than you apparently.

Sometimes that self interest needs to be tempered in the
interests of everyone as a whole.

And you should be the temperer, right?

Why not? Who should do it, you with your screw everyone else, I'm alright jack
attitude?

--
Spud