Old November 2nd 14, 09:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Transport sights for a London day trip

On 2014\11\02 21:41, Phil wrote:
On 02/11/14 14:35, Basil Jet wrote:
Behind the Marks and Spencers in Southgate you can see the Picc tunnel
entrances, and see how the entrance tunnel is much larger than the exit
one (the entrance is tapered to lessen the sonic boom from trains
entering the tunnel at speed.

Wow! The Piccadilly Line must have got a lot faster since I was last
there.

http://www.1stforprint.co.uk/ebaylis...be_preview.jpg

Old November 2nd 14, 09:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 02/11/2014 21:46, Recliner wrote:

wrote:
I'm planning a day trip around London for some Cambridge students [...]

Maybe looking a bit to the future, visit the Battersea Power station site,
soon to include the Northern Line extension? Or at least take a ride out of
Victoria, keeping an eye on it. The walk from Vauxhall is quite
interesting, watching the properties that will pay for the extension
shooting up.

Also thinking of the future, Victoria Coach Station might not be around
forever. Not sure how it compares historically, but it's pretty busy
these days.

And thinking of Battersea, there's the heliport (though that's
significantly further west).
Old November 2nd 14, 11:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
In article

, (Recliner) wrote:

wrote:
I'm planning a day trip around London for some Cambridge students
who may not know it well. I'm trying to work out an itinerary for
early December, either Friday 5th or Saturday 6th. I've got an
initial list of places or feature to visit or pass through:

DLR
Overground, inc East London, Crystal Palace
Tramlink
Woolwich ferry
New Routemaster
Old Routemaster, H15 or H9

There's a specific reason for including Crystal Palace. Anyone see
anything or anywhere worthwhile I'm overlooking?

Maybe looking a bit to the future, visit the Battersea Power station site,
soon to include the Northern Line extension? Or at least take a ride out
of Victoria, keeping an eye on it. The walk from Vauxhall is quite
interesting, watching the properties that will pay for the extension
shooting up.

Is there anything much to see there? I used to cycle along Battersea Park
Road between Wandsworth and Vauxhall and it was mostly hoardings on derelict
sites.

Gleaming new buildings sprouting up everywhere, including the new US
embassy. It's interesting to do before and after trips: "before" now,
"after" in five years. I did the same with the Olympics site in Stratford,
and it's been fascinating watching the changes.

Old November 2nd 14, 11:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

On 02/11/2014 17:28, David C wrote:

On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 19:48:16 -0500,

wrote:

Much snipping........
The Woolwich Ferry idea (we could use the foot tunnel) was also that it
might not last much longer! In the early 1970s I took convoluted routes
to Liberal Party Assemblies which included ferries and other services
which no longer run. Travelled to Tilbury Riverside and the ferry to
Gravesend (gone), to New Holland Pier and on the Humber Ferry (gone)
and on the Mersey Ferry and then on one of the few trains from Lime
Street to Southport which no longer run. We may have taken the Woolwich
Ferry on the way to Brighton in 1974 but none of us can remember any
more. :-)

IMVHO the Woolwich Ferry will be running for some time to come, & it's
quite convenient for foot passengers as well as cars.

*If* there's ever a bridge built in those parts (i.e. a Beckton -
Thamesmead bridge - what was the "Thames Gateway Bridge" project),
then the ferry would cease.

That's a big if though - the present focus for a new crossing is back
on the Greenwich Peninsula to Silvertown tunnel.

Ah! I've not been keeping up with proposals for new Thames crossings.

As for the Tilbury Gravesend Ferry, it still runs every half hour from
Monday to Saturday.
Tilbury Riverside Staition is indeed long gone, (now the site of an
intermodal container terminal), but there is a connecting bus to the
Ferry Landing Stage from Tilbury town Station, route number 99
operated by Ensign Bus, & free to rail ticket holders.

Indeed - dunno where Colin gets the idea that the Tilbury to
Gravesend ferry is no more!

Sorry. I jumped to a conclusion. My 1960s visits to Tilbury Riverside were
for Royal Mail Lines ships to South America which ceased long ago and the
advent of the freight terminal in place of the station made me assume the
ferry had gone too.

Information from Thurrock council:
https://www.thurrock.gov.uk/ferry-se...ravesend-ferry
-service

Unfortunately the recently redesigned Kent County Council website
seems to suffer from amnesia with regards to the ferry, despite the
fact that the ferry is part funded by Kent CC! (It used to feature on
the old Kent CC website I'm sure.)

I *think* there might be some obscure Kent to Essex (and v.v.) rail
tickets routed via the ferry, albeit without the price of the
crossing included...?

I have a feeling we had through tickets in 1972 via Ipswich, Romford and
Upminster which included the ferry but it's too long ago to be sure.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old November 2nd 14, 11:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Basil Jet)
wrote:

My favourite piece of London's transport is the hand-operated
pedestrian chain ferry to Trowlock Island in Trowlock Way,
Teddington. It's about the size of a single bed. It rocks like a
double bed ;-)

Hmm. Maybe.

Various Charles Holden stations, particularly Southgate at night.

The old passimeter in Arnos Grove.

Maybe. The trouble with the far end of the Piccadilly line may be the travel
time to get there.

The "See How They Run" dials in the foyer of 55 Broadway for the six
historic lines.

Are they still there? I didn't see them when I worked in Westminster and
frequently used the station. I remember the old ones which also covered
trolleybuses.

The silver tubes which stop big trains going into small tunnels at
Barons Court, Finchley Road.

Could be hard to see from a moving train.

Did they put humps for wheelchair access on certain platforms?

Those lovely escalators at Southwark station.

I don't remember how they differ from others on the JLE. Canary Wharf is
pretty impressive.

The Eurostar station at St Pancras and the former one at Waterloo.

Difficult to see much when not travelling which I suspect quite a few on the
trip might have done.

The pantograph changeovers at Drayton Park and Mitre Bridge.

Also Farringdon. I couldn't see much at Mitre Bridge and that was when they
had to stop.

The views over the Thames on the District /NLL near Kew Gardens (IIRC
the Thames view is obscured on the Putney Bridge line)

All true. Went on the West London on Saturday.

The Bakerloo passes through a shed in both directions between Queens
Park and Kensal Green.

True. Quite a lot of railway installations to see round there too, e.g. from
the West London.

Behind the Marks and Spencers in Southgate you can see the Picc
tunnel entrances, and see how the entrance tunnel is much larger than
the exit one (the entrance is tapered to lessen the sonic boom from
trains entering the tunnel at speed.

The fake houses in Leinster Gardens.

The abandoned open-air platforms at Highgate Station.

Good ones.

The metal hooks for tying up boats set into the pavement of Surrey
Canal Road, revealing that the road is a former canal and the
pavements are unreconstructed tow-paths.

O! Never seen that on many East London visits.

The bridge over Waterloo Road which used to carry the connection from
the South East Lines across the Waterloo concourse.

I know that. There's not a great deal to see apart from the view from the
road. A good pub next to it though.

Deep level shelters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_deep-level_shelters

I didn't think there was much to see of them without a proper visit?

Escalator cavern at Westminster Station

Worth trying to interchange at, I agree.

The Underground entrances set into the corner of the Bank Of England,
and the air grilles hidden in the Greathead Statue in Cornhill. The
Greathead shield which forms part of the passageway to the W&C.
http://www.greathead.org/greathead2-o/JHG3.htm

Thames Tunnel and the Brunel Museum

Old station tiling at Arsenal station saying "Gillespie Road"

And similar at a number of stations.

Stations with lifts, e.g. Russell Square or Covent Garden.

The old train indicators at Earls Court District Line

They are unique now, aren't they? South Ken had similar I'm sure.

The big platforms at Euston and Angel

The tiny platforms at Clapham tube stations

More to look at. Thanks for all. I could add a number more from my travels.

--
Colin Rosenstiel