Old November 3rd 14, 12:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Transport sights for a London day trip

On 03/11/2014 00:38, wrote:
[...]
And thinking of Battersea, there's the heliport (though that's
significantly further west).

That's fairly hidden away nowadays, isn't it? Gone are the signs on York Rd
IIRC.

Chauffeurs use satnavs these days.
Old November 3rd 14, 03:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

The Thameslink route from St P (take a look at the new tunnels to the GN
from the platform) to Blackfriars (new southern entrance) or London
Bridge
is interesting.

Definitely not much to see there. I've done it.

When? There is a huge amount going on at London Bridge. The next few weeks
are the last chance to travel through Borough Market junction and the
high-level station before it all changes beyond recognition. You might also
get to see some work on the Bermondsey dive-under on your way to/from
Crystal Palace.

--
DAS

Old November 3rd 14, 06:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

The Strand Underpass is of note, being converted from a former tram
subway and being tiny compared to pretty much any other road tunnel you
will ever go through. I don't know if buses still go through it in the
rush hour. Occasionally the northern end of the tram subway is open for
art events, allowing pedestrian access to the former platforms with old
roundels, but I doubt if the day of your trip will be such a day. The
tram tracks leading down from the Theobalds Road junction are of minor
interest. I believe that the small square archway in Holloway Road
almost opposite Witley Road is the only other place that you can still
see abandoned tram tracks, see
https://www.flickr.com/photos/warsaw...57626135089492

Old November 3rd 14, 08:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014\11\03 08:48, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 18:38:27
on Sun, 2 Nov 2014, remarked:

The silver tubes which stop big trains going into small tunnels at
Barons Court, Finchley Road.

Could be hard to see from a moving train.

Best from a District Line train. Suggest going west as that gives you
notice because you can start looking from where the Piccadilly emerges
from the tunnel.

IIRC the silver tube is visible from the platform at Finchley Road.

Old November 3rd 14, 09:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 03/11/2014 07:31, Basil Jet wrote:

The Strand Underpass is of note, being converted from a former tram
subway and being tiny compared to pretty much any other road tunnel you
will ever go through. I don't know if buses still go through it in the
rush hour. Occasionally the northern end of the tram subway is open for
art events, allowing pedestrian access to the former platforms with old
roundels, but I doubt if the day of your trip will be such a day. The
tram tracks leading down from the Theobalds Road junction are of minor
interest. I believe that the small square archway in Holloway Road
almost opposite Witley Road is the only other place that you can still
see abandoned tram tracks, see
https://www.flickr.com/photos/warsaw...57626135089492

Route 521 (nee Red Arrow) buses go through the Strand Underpass all day
long (weekdays only), not just at rush hour. There's no service on this
route at weekends & bank holidays. In particular when it was still a
bendy bus, it had a bit of a roller coaster feel to it (cheap thrills!).

Abandoned tram tracks live on in the Brixton Hill tram depot, used these
days as an outstation (if that's the right term?) for Brixton bus garage
just up the road:
http://www.urban75.org/brixton/history/brixton-hill-tram-depot.html

Also a tiny bit of old tram tracks in Ilford was exposed and 'put on
display' as part of streetscape redevelopments:
https://www.facebook.com/IlfordInPictures/posts/633198370074697
Old November 3rd 14, 10:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Basil Jet)
wrote:

The Strand Underpass is of note, being converted from a former tram
subway and being tiny compared to pretty much any other road tunnel
you will ever go through. I don't know if buses still go through it
in the rush hour. Occasionally the northern end of the tram subway is
open for art events, allowing pedestrian access to the former
platforms with old roundels, but I doubt if the day of your trip will
be such a day. The tram tracks leading down from the Theobalds Road
junction are of minor interest. I believe that the small square
archway in Holloway Road almost opposite Witley Road is the only
other place that you can still see abandoned tram tracks, see
https://www.flickr.com/photos/warsaw...set-7215762613
5089492

I agree a look at the tram subway ramp would be good. People won't have seen
conduit tram tracks before.

The Holloway Road photo is interesting but of limited interest as we have
bits of horse tramway still extant in Cambridge, including in the yard of
the Tram Depot pub. Those are fake even though in a genuine location but
genuine tracks still lie below the road surface outside the Senate House and
are exposed by road works from time to time before being covered over again.

--
Colin Rosenstiel