Old November 4th 14, 09:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Transport sights for a London day trip

On 2014\11\04 21:30, Steve Lewis wrote:
You can head out to Gants Hill on the Central line and pretend that you're in Moscow.

I considered mentioning that, but anyone who has even seen a picture of
a Moscow station will be very disappointed by Gants Hill.

Old November 4th 14, 09:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2014\11\04 21:30, Steve Lewis wrote:
You can head out to Gants Hill on the Central line and pretend that you're in Moscow.

I considered mentioning that, but anyone who has even seen a picture of a
Moscow station will be very disappointed by Gants Hill.

Yes, that was exactly my reaction when I made a special effort to go and
see it. I'd not recommend anyone bother to visit it.
Old November 5th 14, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014\11\05 14:46, Recliner wrote:
On Tue, 4 Nov 2014 08:12:03 -0800 (PST), wrote:

The RV1 bus it is Hydrogen powered.

Following your suggestion, I had a go on it today. It's not as quiet
as I expected, presumably because of the various fans and the gearbox.
Even when stationary in traffic, you can hear stuff whirring away. And
they certainly want to make quite sure you know how it's powered!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...7648736684940/

Ironically it's probably too long to fit around the corners on the H2 route.

Old November 5th 14, 04:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

The RV1 bus it is Hydrogen powered.

Following your suggestion, I had a go on it today. It's not as quiet
as I expected, presumably because of the various fans and the gearbox.
Even when stationary in traffic, you can hear stuff whirring away. And
they certainly want to make quite sure you know how it's powered!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...7648736684940/

Gearbox? Isn't it electrically powered?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old November 5th 14, 07:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
wrote:
I'm planning a day trip around London for some Cambridge students who may
not know it well. I'm trying to work out an itinerary for early December,
either Friday 5th or Saturday 6th. I've got an initial list of places or
feature to visit or pass through:

DLR
Overground, inc East London, Crystal Palace
Tramlink
Woolwich ferry
New Routemaster
Old Routemaster, H15 or H9

There's a specific reason for including Crystal Palace. Anyone see anything
or anywhere worthwhile I'm overlooking?

River buses?

I always recommend to people that they ride the DLR at least between
Limehouse and Crossharbour. That's the most scenic bit. Though a
hardened transport person might also want to do the bit through the
Royals.

Also, take the Jubilee to Canary Wharf and come up into the station. I
always love the dramatic feel of that huge overhead space with the roof
- almost cathedral-like - and then the sudden realization that that roof
is at ground level! Followed by the ride up the escalators to the exit
at the west end. Do this before using the station *from* ground level.

The roof at Liverpool Street - spot the join between the old and new
bits.

St.Pancras, since they've cleaned it up.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org
Old November 5th 14, 07:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , David C
wrote:
Exactly. It was Tilbury Riverside that went. I went there in 1960 too. Was
that before the end of steam I wonder?

LTS steam finished in 1962, with some mixed steam / electric
operations (using the steam timetables) in 1961.

There was also some diesel loco haulage on the LTS, using Brush type
2's from Straford & the old loco-hauled coaches.

Riverside hasn't been closed for that long,

It closed on 1992-11-30.

I can remember that, as a child, just about all trains reversed there
en-route. As a result, we very rarely went that way from Leigh-on-Sea to
Fenchurch Street as a following via-Upminster train would overtake it. I
was a teenager when I caught a train that was non-stop between Barking
and Benfleet and got diverted along the Tilbury loop, meaning I finally
"bagged" the chord line.

Old November 5th 14, 09:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

wrote:

The RV1 bus it is Hydrogen powered.

Following your suggestion, I had a go on it today. It's not as quiet
as I expected, presumably because of the various fans and the gearbox.
Even when stationary in traffic, you can hear stuff whirring away. And
they certainly want to make quite sure you know how it's powered!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...7648736684940/

Gearbox? Isn't it electrically powered?

Yes, but the power presumably goes via a reduction gearbox, just as it does
with electric cars and trains. There's certainly more mechanical noise than
I expected, or you get on a Boris Bus when the diesel unit is off.
Old November 5th 14, 11:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Clive D.
W. Feather) wrote:

In message ,
wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I especially like the Canary Wharf idea.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old November 6th 14, 07:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 3 Nov 2014 00:50:40 +0000 (UTC), Recliner

In article , (Basil Jet)
wrote:

The pantograph changeovers at Drayton Park and Mitre Bridge.

Also Farringdon. I couldn't see much at Mitre Bridge and that was when they
had to stop.

You might wait a very long time to see a pan going up or down at
Farringdon. The changeover now happens at City Thameslink. But Farringdon
remains an interesting station in transition (remember, in 1863 it was the
City terminus of the world's first underground railway, and will soon be
one of the world's busiest underground and interchange stations).

I'd vote for Farringdon. You can take an extremely leisurely ride
through the core (with added mystery bonus stops) and marvel at the
idea that there will ever be 24 trains an hour through it.

I think the area is of interest, sarcasm aside. You've got the new
STP box, the old KX Thameslink platforms, the
explosion-in-an-architecture-factory Farringdon itself (itselves), the
remains of all the stuff under Smithfield, City Thameslink with an
absolutely perfect 90s look (you can almost feel the shoulder pads)
including a blanked-off door that should have gone to the Jubilee
line, a steep climb up to the beautiful Blackfriars platforms and if
you get the right train, a good look at Borough Market and London
Bridge.

BTW I'm sure I've seen -- well, experienced in the form of a "reboot"
-- the pan go down at Farringdon s/b. This was on an Electrostar,
maybe they're different?

Richard.