Old November 6th 14, 08:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Transport sights for a London day trip

Richard wrote:
On Mon, 3 Nov 2014 00:50:40 +0000 (UTC), Recliner

In article , (Basil Jet)
wrote:

The pantograph changeovers at Drayton Park and Mitre Bridge.

Also Farringdon. I couldn't see much at Mitre Bridge and that was when they
had to stop.

You might wait a very long time to see a pan going up or down at
Farringdon. The changeover now happens at City Thameslink. But Farringdon
remains an interesting station in transition (remember, in 1863 it was the
City terminus of the world's first underground railway, and will soon be
one of the world's busiest underground and interchange stations).

I'd vote for Farringdon. You can take an extremely leisurely ride
through the core (with added mystery bonus stops) and marvel at the
idea that there will ever be 24 trains an hour through it.

I think the area is of interest, sarcasm aside. You've got the new
STP box, the old KX Thameslink platforms, the
explosion-in-an-architecture-factory Farringdon itself (itselves), the
remains of all the stuff under Smithfield, City Thameslink with an
absolutely perfect 90s look (you can almost feel the shoulder pads)
including a blanked-off door that should have gone to the Jubilee
line, a steep climb up to the beautiful Blackfriars platforms and if
you get the right train, a good look at Borough Market and London
Bridge.

BTW I'm sure I've seen -- well, experienced in the form of a "reboot"
-- the pan go down at Farringdon s/b. This was on an Electrostar,
maybe they're different?

How recently? I thought they'd switched to City Thameslink a few months
ago. I'm pretty sure I've noticed it there on a 377.

Old November 6th 14, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 6 Nov 2014 21:12:31 +0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Richard wrote:

BTW I'm sure I've seen -- well, experienced in the form of a "reboot"
-- the pan go down at Farringdon s/b. This was on an Electrostar,
maybe they're different?

How recently? I thought they'd switched to City Thameslink a few months
ago. I'm pretty sure I've noticed it there on a 377.

A month, maybe? And quite a regular observation, although not every
time by any means.

Richard.
Old November 6th 14, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jet) wrote:

The pantograph changeovers at Drayton Park and Mitre Bridge.

Also Farringdon. I couldn't see much at Mitre Bridge and that was when
they had to stop.

You might wait a very long time to see a pan going up or down at
Farringdon. The changeover now happens at City Thameslink. But Farringdon
remains an interesting station in transition (remember, in 1863 it was
the City terminus of the world's first underground railway, and will soon
be one of the world's busiest underground and interchange stations).

Catching up Surely Chatelet-Les Halles will still be bigger?

[...]

When though? We were told elsewhere in this thread that the change was only
made about 6 months ago.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old November 7th 14, 06:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 07/11/2014 00:26, Recliner wrote:

wrote:
[...]
BTW I'm sure I've seen -- well, experienced in the form of a "reboot"
-- the pan go down at Farringdon s/b. This was on an Electrostar,
maybe they're different?

How recently? I thought they'd switched to City Thameslink a few months
ago. I'm pretty sure I've noticed it there on a 377.

A month, maybe? And quite a regular observation, although not every
time by any means.

I suppose the other question is in which direction? Are they switching at
different locations Northbound and Southbound?

Yes, I wondered about that, but from my observations, it's the same both
ways (ie, City Thameslink).

I suppose it's a bit unusual, but is the voltage changeover that big an
attraction? (I guess it it!)
Old November 7th 14, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014\11\07 10:16, Recliner wrote:
wrote:

I wonder why some trains change at Farringdon then?

Dunno. Maybe they are expected to keep up to speed with changes at both
stations?

The plan in the TL2000 documents was to do all changeovers at City
instead of Farringdon, because the dual-electrified sidings at City can
be used to get trains with pantographs stuck up or down out of the way
of the other trains. Farringdon of course used to have the
dual-electrified Moorgate Branch as a place to hide trains with stuck
pantographs, but lost that when the platforms were extended over the
junction (which I presume has happened by now), so I'd be very surprised
if any trains were still changing power at Farringdon.
Old November 7th 14, 10:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014\11\07 07:17, Mizter T wrote:

I suppose it's a bit unusual, but is the voltage changeover that big an
attraction? (I guess it it!)

My list of things to see wasn't just things that are worth going to see,
but included things which are worth pointing out if you happen to be
going past them.