Old January 20th 15, 04:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Can you route-excess half a return

For example: London-Exeter route Honiton is £71.60, and via Taunton
£103.50

If I had a via Honiton ticket and wanted to return via Taunton could I
excess it for half the difference? Or would they want the full £31.90

Similarly, in reverse, can I excess a "via Taunton" ticket to be "via
Honiton" for a negative amount [in practice I wouldn't expect a cash
refund, just the ability to travel for no extra charge].

Old January 20th 15, 07:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-01-20 17:02:45 +0000, Roland Perry said:

For example: London-Exeter route Honiton is £71.60, and via Taunton £103.50

If I had a via Honiton ticket and wanted to return via Taunton could I
excess it for half the difference? Or would they want the full £31.90

Similarly, in reverse, can I excess a "via Taunton" ticket to be "via
Honiton" for a negative amount [in practice I wouldn't expect a cash
refund, just the ability to travel for no extra charge].

Yes, half the difference, though finding a member of staff that knows
that and how to do it can be very challenging indeed. In the second
case you can technically get a zero fare excess but in practice the
more expensive ticket should just be accepted via the cheaper route.

What you can't do is have half a ticket with NSE discount and half not,
if I'm reading your thread on uk.r (this is on uk.t.l) correctly.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old January 20th 15, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015-01-20 20:17:08 +0000, Neil Williams said:

Yes, half the difference, though finding a member of staff that knows
that and how to do it can be very challenging indeed. In the second
case you can technically get a zero fare excess but in practice the
more expensive ticket should just be accepted via the cheaper route.

Note for general reference: this only works with tickets with
geographical routes, not TOC routes. TOC routed tickets cannot be
excessed to another TOC route or to a non-TOC route.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old January 21st 15, 08:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 20:17:08 on Tue, 20
Jan 2015, Neil Williams remarked:
For example: London-Exeter route Honiton is £71.60, and via Taunton £103.50
If I had a via Honiton ticket and wanted to return via Taunton could
I excess it for half the difference? Or would they want the full
£31.90
Similarly, in reverse, can I excess a "via Taunton" ticket to be
"via Honiton" for a negative amount [in practice I wouldn't expect a
cash refund, just the ability to travel for no extra charge].

Yes, half the difference, though finding a member of staff that knows
that and how to do it can be very challenging indeed. In the second
case you can technically get a zero fare excess

Thanks.

but in practice the more expensive ticket should just be accepted via
the cheaper route.

There must be a reason why the tickets are "via Taunton" & "via
Honiton", and not "Any permitted" & "via Honiton". A lack of faith in
ORCATS apportioning the revenue fairly, I guess.

What you can't do is have half a ticket with NSE discount and half not,
if I'm reading your thread on uk.r (this is on uk.t.l) correctly.

Yes, I posted in the wrong newsgroup.

I was pondering if this would be a better answer to the question "Is a
via Taunton ticket valid on a train to Paddington that's bypassing
Taunton because of engineering works, and going via Honiton".
Old January 21st 15, 08:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 21/01/15 09:32, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Surely it's allowed under the rule permitting use of any individual
service going from the start station to the finish station. Unless it's
not another operator only ticket.

Old January 21st 15, 09:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 09:57:43 on Wed, 21 Jan
2015, roger remarked:
but in practice the more expensive ticket should just be accepted via
the cheaper route.

There must be a reason why the tickets are "via Taunton" & "via
Honiton", and not "Any permitted" & "via Honiton". A lack of faith in
ORCATS apportioning the revenue fairly, I guess.

What you can't do is have half a ticket with NSE discount and half
not, if I'm reading your thread on uk.r (this is on uk.t.l) correctly.

Yes, I posted in the wrong newsgroup.

I was pondering if this would be a better answer to the question "Is a
via Taunton ticket valid on a train to Paddington that's bypassing
Taunton because of engineering works, and going via Honiton".

Surely it's allowed under the rule permitting use of any individual
service going from the start station to the finish station. Unless
it's not another operator only ticket.

It's a Route-specific ticket "via Taunton". And on the day I want to
travel there's engineering work, and the train is being diverted away
from Taunton.

If it was a "FGW only" ticket, then it'd be permitted on whatever route
the Penzance-Paddington train took.

For the permitted-by-direct-train rule (had it been an "Any Permitted"
ticket, which it isn't) there's possibly the complication that the
journey is Exeter-London-Cambridge, and there aren't any direct
Exeter-Cambridge trains (only direct trains on each of the *legs*
Exeter-London, London-Cambridge).
Old January 22nd 15, 05:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , Roland Perry
wrote:
It's a Route-specific ticket "via Taunton". And on the day I want to
travel there's engineering work, and the train is being diverted away
from Taunton.

In general engineering diversions are ignored for routeing purposes.
Though if someone boarded a train with a ticket only valid on the
diversion route it ought to be accepted.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org
Old January 22nd 15, 09:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 06:58:58 on Thu, 22
Jan 2015, Clive D. W. Feather remarked:
It's a Route-specific ticket "via Taunton". And on the day I want to
travel there's engineering work, and the train is being diverted away
from Taunton.

In general engineering diversions are ignored for routeing purposes.

It would help if the page for Future Engineering Works mentioned ticket
validity, as well as the changes being made that day. eg for the trip I
describe:

"Trains between London Paddington and Plymouth / Penzance normally
routed via Newbury will be diverted (not calling at Taunton and Tiverton
Parkway) and run to an amended timetable. Journey times may be extended
by up to 60 minutes." ... adding "Tickets routed 'via Taunton' are
valid on these trains".

Or do they think it's 'obvious'? The ticket office staff here are
adamant that it's obvious the ticket *wouldn't* be valid

That's not to say they are suggesting that travel isn't permitted at
all, but they claim it's necessary to get the XC train which terminates
at Taunton, then the replacement bus to Bristol, and FGW to Paddington.

Though if someone boarded a train with a ticket only valid on the
diversion route it ought to be accepted.

Ticket-selling sites seem a bit confused. East Coast, for example, won't
sell the "via Honiton" ticket on the service, but neither will it sell
the "via Taunton"! What it will do is sell an Advance.