Old January 29th 16, 01:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Hancock's Half Hour - Route 93 bus

I was watching an episode of Hancock's Half Hour today. What a great series that was! Hancock was so much better when he got rid of everyone excpet Sid James.

In this episode, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cau5MRu804Y, Sid falls in love with a conductress on the 93 bus. Hancock lives at East Cheam and the bus terminates at Epsom Station. It is still running on a similar route.

Old January 29th 16, 04:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Offramp" wrote in message
I was watching an episode of Hancock's Half Hour today. What a great
series that was! Hancock was so much better when he got rid of everyone
excpet Sid James.

In this episode, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cau5MRu804Y, Sid falls in
love with a conductress on the 93 bus. Hancock lives at East Cheam and the
bus terminates at Epsom Station. It is still running on a similar route.

The 93 ran from Putney Bridge to Epsom via North Cheam all the time whilst I
was a kid, It seems to have been split some time in the 90s into
overlapping: 93 Putney to N Cheam (where 1 out of 2 of the previous 93s
would have turned anyway) and 293 Morden to Epsom, both running down the
main road (A24 IIRC). More recently, the 293 has started to use some back
streets to Morden via Lower Morden using some roads that had never before
seen a bus route.

It was a notoriously bad timekeeper [1], both Putney High Street and
Wimbledon Broadway could get very snarled up causing serious delays.

There is, of course, no such place that the locals would refer to as "East
Cheam."

tim

[1] as were all the bus routes of my childhood :-(

Old January 29th 16, 07:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29/01/2016 17:03, tim..... wrote:

"Offramp" wrote in message
[...]

Some Sundays it ran to Dorking.

---

Old January 29th 16, 09:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016\01\29 17:03, tim..... wrote:

"Offramp" wrote in message
I was watching an episode of Hancock's Half Hour today. What a great
series that was! Hancock was so much better when he got rid of
everyone excpet Sid James.

In this episode, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cau5MRu804Y, Sid
falls in love with a conductress on the 93 bus. Hancock lives at East
Cheam and the bus terminates at Epsom Station. It is still running on
a similar route.

The 93 ran from Putney Bridge to Epsom via North Cheam all the time
whilst I was a kid, It seems to have been split some time in the 90s
into overlapping: 93 Putney to N Cheam (where 1 out of 2 of the previous
93s would have turned anyway) and 293 Morden to Epsom, both running down
the main road (A24 IIRC).

The split happened in 1970. I suspect that the split was merely a formal
divorce of a route which had operated as two overlapping sections long
before that, and so all or most of the 93 buses in Putney will have had
North Cheam as the destination back in Hancock's day.

http://www.londonbuses.co.uk/_routes/current/293-2.html
http://www.londonbuses.co.uk/_routes/current/093.html

Old January 30th 16, 08:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
On 2016\01\29 17:03, tim..... wrote:

"Offramp" wrote in message
I was watching an episode of Hancock's Half Hour today. What a great
series that was! Hancock was so much better when he got rid of
everyone excpet Sid James.

In this episode, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cau5MRu804Y, Sid
falls in love with a conductress on the 93 bus. Hancock lives at East
Cheam and the bus terminates at Epsom Station. It is still running on
a similar route.

The 93 ran from Putney Bridge to Epsom via North Cheam all the time
whilst I was a kid, It seems to have been split some time in the 90s
into overlapping: 93 Putney to N Cheam (where 1 out of 2 of the previous
93s would have turned anyway) and 293 Morden to Epsom, both running down
the main road (A24 IIRC).

The split happened in 1970.

It seems that you are right.

I am surprised cos I can only ever remember that the 93 went to Epsom and I
was still a kid in 70, and had regular contact with the area up until 1990.

I suspect that the split was merely a formal divorce of a route which had
operated as two overlapping sections long before that, and so all or most
of the 93 buses in Putney will have had North Cheam as the destination
back in Hancock's day.

It is true that most of the outbound buses turned at N Cheam, but I don't
think that it ran as a split route.

All the inbound buses arriving at Morden went to Putney, I don't recall ever
catching one in that direction that terminated anywhere else (and this would
have been the direction that I usually travelled)

tim

tim

Old January 30th 16, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 30/01/2016 09:48, tim..... wrote:

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
On 2016\01\29 17:03, tim..... wrote:

"Offramp" wrote in message
[...]

Was not the terminus Priory Road by the Church Hill Road roundabout?

---

Old January 30th 16, 01:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Having lived at North Cheam for many years and compiled the schedules for the 93, can I just clarify that before the Epsom leg became the 293, the Epsom journeys on the 93 all ran from Putney Bridge just as the North Cheam part did. There was a very short lived 93 Express which ran from Morden to Epsom but that didn't last long.

Lawrie
Old January 30th 16, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016\01\30 14:39, Lawrie Davidson wrote:
Having lived at North Cheam for many years and compiled the schedules for the 93, can I just clarify that before the Epsom leg became the 293, the Epsom journeys on the 93 all ran from Putney Bridge just as the North Cheam part did. There was a very short lived 93 Express which ran from Morden to Epsom but that didn't last long.

Thanks.

There have been cases where a route ran through on a Sunday but ran in
overlapping sections on the other six days, and then the route was
formally split in two when the Sunday service adopted weekday practice.
I wrongly guessed that the 93 might have been one.
Old January 30th 16, 04:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Tony
Dragon) wrote:

[93 bus]

Was not the terminus Priory Road by the Church Hill Road roundabout?

I remember seeing buses to North Cheam, Priory Road through my Putney
childhood. I remember the summer Sunday buses to Dorking but left in 1968.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 30th 16, 10:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In uk.transport.london message , Fri, 29 Jan
2016 17:03:46, tim..... posted:

There is, of course, no such place that the locals would refer to as
"East Cheam."

Well, the Sutton Council Web site includes "West Cheam belonged to the
Prior of Canterbury (the monastery attached to the Cathedral) while East
Cheam belonged to the Archbishop.", but that is rather a historical
reference. A page at http://www.british-history.ac.uk agrees.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.