Old February 8th 15, 02:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

Default Freedom Pass Renewals

Does anyone know who the courier company is that will be delivering the renewed Freedom Passes in and around London?

Or indeed what the delivery arrangements are or will be?

I have a feeling that it might be DPD - with whom I have a dispute right now about their getting a 'neighbour' to sign for a package addressed to me - but whom I cannot now locate. I am hoping that it is not my new Freedom Pass.

CJB.

Old February 8th 15, 02:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 08/02/2015 15:01, CJB wrote:
Does anyone know who the courier company is that will be delivering the renewed Freedom Passes in and around London?

Or indeed what the delivery arrangements are or will be?

I have a feeling that it might be DPD - with whom I have a dispute right now about their getting a 'neighbour' to sign for a package addressed to me - but whom I cannot now locate. I am hoping that it is not my new Freedom Pass.

Mine came 2nd class Royal Mail, no signature required, just on the floor
when I came in, envelope marked Do not forward

--
Martin

replies to newsgroup only please.
Old February 8th 15, 03:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 08/02/2015 15:47, Martin Smith wrote:

On 08/02/2015 15:01, CJB wrote:
Does anyone know who the courier company is that will be delivering
the renewed Freedom Passes in and around London?

Or indeed what the delivery arrangements are or will be?

I have a feeling that it might be DPD - with whom I have a dispute
right now about their getting a 'neighbour' to sign for a package
addressed to me - but whom I cannot now locate. I am hoping that it is
not my new Freedom Pass.

Mine came 2nd class Royal Mail, no signature required, just on the floor
when I came in, envelope marked Do not forward

That's how I know other peoples' passes have arrived (i.e. by regular
mail). I don't think couriers are being used at all.

An aside - the Post Office has decided (unilaterally it sounds like) to
withdraw from the process of issuing and re-issuing Freedom Passes as of
the end of June 2015, which seems like an odd thing to do (given they're
a government owned enterprise that in my mind is kinda supposed to serve
as a front desk for some public services).
Old February 8th 15, 04:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:09:24 on Sun, 8 Feb 2015,
Mizter T remarked:
the Post Office has decided (unilaterally it sounds like) to withdraw
from the process of issuing and re-issuing Freedom Passes as of the end
of June 2015, which seems like an odd thing to do (given they're a
government owned enterprise

Aren't most Post Offices a franchise? (97% perhaps).
Old February 8th 15, 05:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 08/02/2015 17:55, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 16:09:24 on Sun, 8 Feb 2015,
Mizter T remarked:
the Post Office has decided (unilaterally it sounds like) to withdraw
from the process of issuing and re-issuing Freedom Passes as of the
end of June 2015, which seems like an odd thing to do (given they're a
government owned enterprise

Aren't most Post Offices a franchise? (97% perhaps).

Yes (though the PO use the term 'agency' rather than franchise), but the
point being they're agencies of a publicly owned enterprise - one that
says...

"At Post Office, we aspire to be at the very heart of customers’ choice
by becoming the most trusted provider of essential services to every
person in the land."

http://corporate.postoffice.co.uk/who-we-are

FWIW, the CWU said in 2013 that the 373 (now 369) Crown POs handle 20%
of PO business:
http://www.cwu.org/news/archive/57015/post-office-closure-and-franchise-plan-deeply-unpopular.html

Old February 8th 15, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"CJB" wrote in message
Does anyone know who the courier company is that will be delivering the
renewed Freedom Passes in and around London?

Or indeed what the delivery arrangements are or will be?

I have a feeling that it might be DPD - with whom I have a dispute right
now about their getting a 'neighbour' to sign for a package addressed to
me - but whom I cannot now locate. I am hoping that it is not my new
Freedom Pass.

CJB.

As already commented, through the ordinary post. Seems reasonable as
fraudulent use is risky (it has the legal user's photo) and likely to be
short lived (it will be cancelled as soon as non-delivery is reported by the
legal user).

Old February 8th 15, 09:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Post Office? Which other authorities use them for issuing bus passes? Mine doesn't.

If its a special arrangement with the GLA then Post Office are quite at liberty to pull out if they think that it isn't paying or detracts from their core business.
Old February 9th 15, 05:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:19:33 on Sun, 8 Feb 2015,
Mizter T remarked:
"At Post Office, we aspire to be at the very heart of customers’
choice by becoming the most trusted provider of essential services to
every person in the land."

They only service they seem good at providing is keeping people off the
streets for a minimum of 15 minutes.
Old February 12th 15, 05:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 08/02/2015 22:58, Piatkow wrote:
Post Office? Which other authorities use them for issuing bus passes? Mine doesn't.

If its a special arrangement with the GLA then Post Office are quite at liberty to pull out if they think that it isn't paying or detracts from their core business.

The GLA have nowt to do with it. The Freedom Pass is issued on behalf of
the 32 London Boroughs + CoLC by 'London Councils', an organisation that
represents said boroughs.

It's been a very long standing arrangement that the PO has been involved
in issuing Freedom Passes in London. But things change.
Old February 12th 15, 07:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
On 08/02/2015 22:58, Piatkow wrote:
Post Office? Which other authorities use them for issuing bus passes? Mine doesn't.

If its a special arrangement with the GLA then Post Office are quite at
liberty to pull out if they think that it isn't paying or detracts from
their core business.

The GLA have nowt to do with it. The Freedom Pass is issued on behalf of
the 32 London Boroughs + CoLC by 'London Councils', an organisation that
represents said boroughs.

It's been a very long standing arrangement that the PO has been involved
in issuing Freedom Passes in London. But things change.

I assume they charge a fee for this service. Is the alternative now to do
it on-line? That would save money and would probably appeal to younger
Freedom Pass holders, but maybe not to older ones who haven't learned to
use computers.