Old March 4th 15, 08:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Overground down again

In message
-septem
ber.org, Recliner wrote:
If there are no sets of reversing points between new cross and dalston
junction them someone ****ed up badly in the track design and they need to
put some in in case this sort of thing happens again.

I think there's crossovers at Shadwell and Canada Water.

There is a scissors crossover at the south end of the central two
platforms of Dalston Junction and another between there and Haggerston.
Then there's a third at the north end of Shadwell and a fourth at the
south end of Canada Water.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org

Old March 5th 15, 09:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 4 Mar 2015 17:16:41 +0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
And how often do you use it? I used it every almost every weekday for about

month and the service was appalling. Plus they had a nice habit of running
"fast" trains to highbury when the service really was screwed which nicely
****ed over the people who were waiting at Dalston having taken a reverser
there.

I thought you told us you used the quicker Victoria line option?

I do now, though when the jubilee line is up the spout like it was 2 nights
ago its back to the DLR and Overground again so I still experience the joy
of the ELL from time to time.

--
Spud

Old March 5th 15, 09:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 4 Mar 2015 10:52:20 -0800 (PST)
Mark wrote:
On Wednesday, 4 March 2015 17:22:31 UTC, wrote:
It should have remained a tube line. Linking it into the NR network was just
asking for problems. If it was a self contained tube line it could have had a
much better service frequency in the central section and since everyone

thinks
closing the moorgate branch on thameslink was no big deal since everyone can
hope on the tube - the same logic applies, right? People from south london
could hope out at new cross (gate) and change.

1. It was an infrequent, slow "tube" line. Without the extra passengers gained
by
extra destinations there'd have been no justification for increased frequency
- new
routes open up latent demand.

I'm not suggesting it should have been pickled and left. If could still have
been extended to north to highbury and south queens road as a tube line and
whats more it could have been converted to ATO so allowing very high
frequencies.

2. If it was rebranded back to London Underground, it wouldn't magically speed
up.
It's an old and slow route, quite similar to parts of the District Line really.

The track has been more or less completely relaid throughout the length of
the old ELL. The only reason the service is slow is the semi comatose drivers
that seem to be employed on it. They'll close the doors. Wait up to 10 seconds
for god knows what, then slooooowly pull away at a snails pace.

2. People wouldn't change in massive numbers at New Cross Gate - they didn't
to the old East London Line.

They would if it was a much more frequent service to canada water.

3. Even if they did, New Cross Gate station wouldn't be able to cope with that
amount of interchange (even after rebuilding is complete)

Well that might be a fair point, I don't know, I've never been there.

4. Capacity and number of services at London Bridge are very reduced until
2018.
Overground via Canada Water has become the common route for stations between
Norwood Junction and New Cross Gate. That's not just passenger choice - in the
peaks the London Bridge service to these stations is now next to non-existent.
(There
isn't a single southbound non-Overground train at Sydenham between 16:20 and
18:20, for example.)

National Rails engineering works are irrelevant in this context since they
had no bearing on the ELL conversion to overground.

5. We've really done this one to death now, surely?

Well this is usenet.

--
Spud

Old March 5th 15, 10:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015\03\04 18:52, Mark wrote:

2. People wouldn't change in massive numbers at New Cross Gate - they didn't
to the old East London Line.

3. Even if they did, New Cross Gate station wouldn't be able to cope with that
amount of interchange (even after rebuilding is complete)

4. Capacity and number of services at London Bridge are very reduced until 2018.
Overground via Canada Water has become the common route for stations between
Norwood Junction and New Cross Gate. That's not just passenger choice - in the
peaks the London Bridge service to these stations is now next to non-existent. (There
isn't a single southbound non-Overground train at Sydenham between 16:20 and
18:20, for example.)

Wow. I'm surprised New Cross Gate station can cope with that amount of
interchange.
Old March 5th 15, 11:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 05/03/2015 22:48, Basil Jet wrote:

On 2015\03\04 18:52, Mark wrote:

[...]

There's been significant works at NXG (Mark refers to the 'rebuilding'
above) - new footbridge and lifts etc, which have provided some
breathing space:
http://www.londonreconnections.com/2014/new-cross-gate/
Old March 6th 15, 04:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 03.03.15 18:31, eastender wrote:
One faulty train at Hoxton has knocked out the entire Highbury-New
Cross-Clapham-West Croydon-Crystal Place network.

E.

Whinge, whinge, whinge.

BTW, there is additional weekend engineering works on the ELL this
weekend. Perhaps you would want to take a minute to find out the details
this time round, rather than complaining on this forum.