Old June 18th 15, 06:51 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default BBC Radio 4 Law In Action "a cautionary tale about a man who boarded a train without a ticket."

In message , at 22:45:48 on
Wed, 17 Jun 2015, Charles Ellson remarked:
But surely in order to prosecute him, despite his losing his wallet
he must have produced some form of valid ID ?

Or that he simply told te truth about where he lived.

I've had an envelope (returned "not known at this address") from the
GNER grippers' office addressed to a local scrote (uncommon name,
previous case in local papers) who had given my address but with a dud
postcode so the address at least is a matter of trusting someone to be
telling the truth.

You've missed the point. Prosecuting someone who gives a false address
is more difficult, but in this case they were able to easily because he
gave a correct address.

That wasn't missed. I was mentioning a further example supporting that
persons are routinely trusted to supply their true address unsupported
by further proof.

If they don't have any proof on them, what else can be done in such
circumstances. Having them arrested and given a ride home in a police
car to find some ID is a big ask.

Old June 18th 15, 07:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 17/06/2015 07:37, wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jun 2015 00:12:21 +0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Those of us living outside the UK can't watch or listen to a lot of
BBC stuff, although this one works - perhaps because it's Radio 4 not
TV.

Yes, I think only BBC TV is limited to UK viewing. You can even listen to
live BBC radio internationally over the Internet.

Sometimes the live Internet feed is turned off for some programming
even for UK listeners, because DAB and FM reception here is poor
without a large aerial we use the WIFI Internet Radio for much
listening away from the main set such as in the garden etc. There are
occasions when sport is transmitted that the feed gets replaced by a
message saying it is not available . I am making the assumption that
this is to stop overseas listeners getting the programme due to rights
issues and we just get caught up in that. Seems a bit petty,there
can't be many overseas who desire to listen to a couple of ancient
football types rambling on about football on a BBC local station.

The reason for Football matches being blocked on internet but aired on
VHF is that other stations (Commercial) have paid for the internet rights.

KW.