Old June 29th 15, 09:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow Terminal 1 closes today

And the last flight to Hanover (BA0970) has already left!

After being "Heathrow Central", then "Heathrow Central Terminals 1,2,3",
then "Heathrow Terminals 1,2,3", then "Heathrow Terminals 1&3", then
again "Heathrow Terminals 1,2,3", the Underground station will now
become "Heathrow Terminals 2&3"... confused? Well I stopped listening
ages ago!

I always liked the romantic nickname of the "Irish Mile" at T1, where
the distant gates for Aer Lingus flights lurked - never flown from
Heathrow to Ireland or v.v. though.

Some photos:

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/heathrow-terminal-1-nostalgic-pictures-9537136

Plans for expanding Terminal 2 across the site of T1 are on the back
burner for the moment. I wonder how long the terminal building will
stand for?

Old June 29th 15, 09:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
And the last flight to Hanover (BA0970) has already left!

After being "Heathrow Central", then "Heathrow Central Terminals 1,2,3",
then "Heathrow Terminals 1,2,3", then "Heathrow Terminals 1&3", then
again "Heathrow Terminals 1,2,3", the Underground station will now become
"Heathrow Terminals 2&3"... confused? Well I stopped listening ages ago!

I always liked the romantic nickname of the "Irish Mile" at T1, where the
distant gates for Aer Lingus flights lurked - never flown from Heathrow
to Ireland or v.v. though.

Some photos:

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/heathrow-terminal-1-nostalgic-pictures-9537136

Plans for expanding Terminal 2 across the site of T1 are on the back
burner for the moment. I wonder how long the terminal building will stand for?

I think T2 will take over the newest of the T1 piers immediately, as they
already shared it. But will a new T2 pier be built on the site of the other
T1 piers? I think the T2 building can handle more flights than it
currently does.
Old June 29th 15, 10:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29/06/2015 22:35, Recliner wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
[...]

Plans for expanding Terminal 2 across the site of T1 are on the back
burner for the moment. I wonder how long the terminal building will stand for?

I think T2 will take over the newest of the T1 piers immediately, as they
already shared it. But will a new T2 pier be built on the site of the other
T1 piers? I think the T2 building can handle more flights than it
currently does.

I thought "the newest of the T1 piers" were actually piers intended for
T2, which were only ever temporarily connected to T1. But I'm no expert
on the matter.

Pretty sure the rest of T1's Europier is going, having already been
chopped in half, as it's blocking the way of what will be a taxyway.

Perhaps, if events unfold in a certain direction, its equivalent
replacement will be named the Ukipier?
Old June 29th 15, 10:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
On 29/06/2015 22:35, Recliner wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
[...]

Plans for expanding Terminal 2 across the site of T1 are on the back
burner for the moment. I wonder how long the terminal building will stand for?

I think T2 will take over the newest of the T1 piers immediately, as they
already shared it. But will a new T2 pier be built on the site of the other
T1 piers? I think the T2 building can handle more flights than it
currently does.

I thought "the newest of the T1 piers" were actually piers intended for
T2, which were only ever temporarily connected to T1. But I'm no expert on the matter.

Could be, though it predated T2 by quite a few years, and had moving
walkway connections.
Old June 29th 15, 10:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29/06/2015 23:08, Recliner wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

[...]

Plans for expanding Terminal 2 across the site of T1 are on the back
burner for the moment. I wonder how long the terminal building will stand for?

I think T2 will take over the newest of the T1 piers immediately, as they
already shared it. But will a new T2 pier be built on the site of the other
T1 piers? I think the T2 building can handle more flights than it
currently does.

I thought "the newest of the T1 piers" were actually piers intended for
T2, which were only ever temporarily connected to T1. But I'm no expert on the matter.

Could be, though it predated T2 by quite a few years, and had moving
walkway connections.

Actually I suspect I'm muddling things up with the new Terminal 2B
satellite, where I think some of the gates were serviced by T1. That
said, perhaps the piers you're referring to where built with a degree of
future flexibility in mind.

Heathrow's all a bit complicated, and has been reconfigured in many
little ways over the years - I won't pretend to understand it all!

Old June 30th 15, 04:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
On 29/06/2015 23:08, Recliner wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

[...]

[...]

Yes, the northern end of the 2B satellite started out as a new T1 pier a
few years ago, connected above, rather than below, ground. I suppose it was
always intended to be ultimately part of T2, but that wasn't evident then.
Since T2 opened, it has been used by both terminals, with bags going to the
terminal the flight was supposed to arrive at.

Heathrow's all a bit complicated, and has been reconfigured in many
little ways over the years - I won't pretend to understand it all!

Particularly where the old T1 and T2 were concerned, as they were connected
and shared the old Euro pier. You could always choose which terminal to
arrive through from that pier (as long as you didn't have bags).
Old June 30th 15, 09:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mizter T
writes

I always liked the romantic nickname of the "Irish Mile" at T1, where
the distant gates for Aer Lingus flights lurked - never flown from
Heathrow to Ireland or v.v. though.

I never knew it was called that - despite having walked that 'mile'
countless times in the 1980s and 90s.

It was one of those situations where you could be forgiven for saying,
"Are we nearly there yet"?

--
Ian