London Banter

-   -   Aldwych : Proposals in the 60s (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1442-aldwych-proposals-60s.html)

Tom Anderson February 23rd 04 06:55 PM

Aldwych : Proposals in the 60s

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, juvenal wrote:

"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
om...
Robin May wrote in message

. 1.4...
(TheOneKEA) wrote the following in:

"Davey" wrote in message
On a related theme, I rememer reading that the Fleet line tunnels
extended as far as Wellington Street, which is where the Lyceem
theatre stands, IE just west of the Aldwich.

Your post brings up an interesting point: if the Jubilee Line had
not gone to Stratford and instead had continued to pass through
Charing Cross and through Aldywch, where would it have gone?

Bank? Moorgate? Highbury and Islington? Would it have run all the
way out to Blackhorse Road and beyond?

That wouldn't be all that helpful though, or so I'd have thought. It
would just be like a sort of Victoria line mkII.

But where would it have gone?

Here's a link to an earlier post on the topic by Clive:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Ju...london&safe=of
f&selm=a6kwmNKg6xN4Ewhj%40romana.davros.org&rnum =1

or, more shortly:

http://babyurl.com/bwGlFu

tom

--
Exceptions say, there was a problem. Someone must deal with it. If you won't deal with it, I'll find someone who will.

Just me and the world February 26th 04 03:17 AM

Aldwych : Proposals in the 60s

I think the fact that the Aldwych - Holborn shuttle service was so under
used was the reason for any extension being killed off early on. The
shuttle is actually 2 lines but one was shut down early on in its life and
the service became a single line service from there on. LU may have had
plans to use the tunnels and track as part of a greater plan, but so far
this hasn't happened, but who knows what tomorrow may bring.

Bakerloo BadBoy

"Sam Holloway" wrote in message
I was reading an edition of "London's Underground" (1) from the
mid-1960s, and it mentions three extension proposals that were ongoing
at the time. Two of these - the Victoria extension to Brixton and the
Fleet Line - went ahead (although of course the plans for the Fleet
Line changed greatly over the successive years).

The third was extending the Aldwych branch of the Piccadilly through
to Waterloo. I was aware that this had been considered as it's been
mentioned here before, and on a couple of websites, including CULG.

But what I didn't know is that, according to this book, the necessary
'powers have been granted'. That implies planning got to a rather
advanced stage. So my question : is that really the case, and what
happened that brought things to a halt?

Sam

(1) Don't have the book to hand so can't give accurate title, author
or publication date, but I can do so at a later stage if it's of help.
--
Sam Holloway, Cambridge

TheOneKEA February 26th 04 06:59 PM

"Just me and the world" wrote in message ...
I think the fact that the Aldwych - Holborn shuttle service was so under
used was the reason for any extension being killed off early on. The
shuttle is actually 2 lines but one was shut down early on in its life and
the service became a single line service from there on. LU may have had
plans to use the tunnels and track as part of a greater plan, but so far
this hasn't happened, but who knows what tomorrow may bring.

Bakerloo BadBoy

I remember reading in one of the innumerable books at Museum that the
Aldwych extension would never had existed if the consortium
responsible for building the Holborn - Finsbury Park stretch of the
GNP&BR could have gotten out of it. IIRC it was implied that it was
deliberately obfuscated at the Holborn end to try to provide excuses
for construction of it to stop.

If there had been a proper branch connection at Holborn, would Aldwych
have been more useful?

Brad

P.S: Needs less top-posting in u.t.l.