Old August 12th 15, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bakerloo & northern extensions

On 8/12/2015 4:19 PM, Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 14:55:10 +0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2015\08\12 14:43, David Walters wrote:
On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 13:35:51 +0100,
wrote:
On 12.08.15 9:29,
y wrote:
Its all gone quiet with the bakerlook. Anyone know what the latest is?

Also is the northern line extension underway yet or is it still in the
planning phase?

IIRC, the government gave its final approval on the Northern Line
Extension. But I know nothing more at this time.

Work has started. There are updates at

https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-informatio...orthern-line-e
tension

A year to fit two stations out and another year to test and commission
the extension! You'd think an underground extension was mature technology by
now.

Has there been any discussion of the names of the two lines into which
the Northern Line will be split? I think the Greathead line would be a
good name for the Morden - Bank - Barnet / Mill Hill East line.

Surely it'll all still be called the Northern Line until such time as the
lines no longer join and cross at Camden?

LU seems a bit inconsistent with line naming. Part of the Bakerloo became
the jubilee line but the District line is still a huge lump with all its
various branches. And to a lesser extent the Met.

There might have been an argument for giving the Wimbleware service a
different name,

Aren't there normal District line trains to Wimbledon too?

and perhaps include the Olympic service in it,

3 years too late? Olympia I assume!

but the rest
of the District can't be thought of as anything but one line. The Met as it
is today is very much a single line. Of course, the Met once included the
H&C.

Which it really should again - I've never understood the truly dreadful
service on the Liverpool St - Aldgate East route (I know why - all the
Met terminators at Aldgate crossing the flat junction - but surely a
solution would be to terminate them somewhere else (further up the
eastern branch of the line perhaps?))

Old August 12th 15, 03:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 8/12/2015 3:34 PM, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2015\08\12 14:43, David Walters wrote:
On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 13:35:51 +0100,
wrote:

https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-informatio...line-extension

A year to fit two stations out and another year to test and commission
the extension! You'd think an underground extension was mature
technology by now.

And how long has been allocated for Crossrail for these bits? The
tunnels are pretty much done now and we're not going to see service
through the core until late 2018 from memory.

Old August 12th 15, 03:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2015\08\12 14:43, David Walters wrote:
On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 13:35:51 +0100,
wrote:
On 12.08.15 9:29,
y wrote:
[...]

Sure. The Earls Court to Wimbledon section would be explicitly served by
both District and Wimbleware trains, just as it is today. But only the
former would run through Victoria.

and perhaps include the Olympic service in it,

3 years too late? Olympia I assume!

Yup, autocorrect in action...

but the rest
of the District can't be thought of as anything but one line. The Met as it
is today is very much a single line. Of course, the Met once included the
H&C.

Which it really should again - I've never understood the truly dreadful
service on the Liverpool St - Aldgate East route (I know why - all the
Met terminators at Aldgate crossing the flat junction - but surely a
solution would be to terminate them somewhere else (further up the
eastern branch of the line perhaps?))

I doubt that there's room anywhere for them, in track or reversing terms
east of Aldgate East.
Old August 12th 15, 03:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2015\08\12 14:43, David Walters wrote:
On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 13:35:51 +0100,

wrote:
On 12.08.15 9:29,
y wrote:
[...]

There's not too much of a problem of lines having multiple branches in
the suburbs, but confusion results from multiple branches in the core.
I'll never forget the Scots I saw on the Northern Line platforms at
Leicester Square searching the line guide up and down and up again for
Kings Cross and not finding it. It seemed obvious to them that since
Leicester Square was on the Northern Line and Kings Cross was on the
Northern Line, you would get the Northern Line from one to the other.

So I'm for the two Northern Line trunks getting their own identity ASAP,
even while they share trains and share northern and southern branches.
That goes for the Wimbleware as well. The Met is fine now that the H&C
has been split off.
Old August 12th 15, 05:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wednesday, 12 August 2015 16:41:21 UTC+1, Recliner wrote:

3 years too late? Olympia I assume!

Yup, autocorrect in action...

And it was correct. It's an adjective, so a line or train going to Olympia is an Olympic train (or line).

Old August 13th 15, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 15:39:40 +0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

but the rest
of the District can't be thought of as anything but one line. The Met as it
is today is very much a single line. Of course, the Met once included the
H&C.

Which it really should again - I've never understood the truly dreadful
service on the Liverpool St - Aldgate East route (I know why - all the
Met terminators at Aldgate crossing the flat junction - but surely a
solution would be to terminate them somewhere else (further up the
eastern branch of the line perhaps?))

I doubt that there's room anywhere for them, in track or reversing terms
east of Aldgate East.

There is a new (for the Olympics) turnback road at West Ham, no longer
in regular use AFAIK.

DC

---

Old August 13th 15, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

but the rest
of the District can't be thought of as anything but one line. The Met as it
is today is very much a single line. Of course, the Met once included the
H&C.

Which it really should again - I've never understood the truly dreadful
service on the Liverpool St - Aldgate East route (I know why - all the
Met terminators at Aldgate crossing the flat junction - but surely a
solution would be to terminate them somewhere else (further up the
eastern branch of the line perhaps?))

I doubt that there's room anywhere for them, in track or reversing terms
east of Aldgate East.

There is a new (for the Olympics) turnback road at West Ham, no longer
in regular use AFAIK.

Could all the Met reversers fit in with the District and H&C trains to West
Ham?
Old August 14th 15, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

but the rest
of the District can't be thought of as anything but one line. The Met as it
is today is very much a single line. Of course, the Met once included the
H&C.

Which it really should again - I've never understood the truly dreadful
service on the Liverpool St - Aldgate East route (I know why - all the
Met terminators at Aldgate crossing the flat junction - but surely a
solution would be to terminate them somewhere else (further up the
eastern branch of the line perhaps?))

I doubt that there's room anywhere for them, in track or reversing terms
east of Aldgate East.

There is a new (for the Olympics) turnback road at West Ham, no longer
in regular use AFAIK.

Could all the Met reversers fit in with the District and H&C trains to West
Ham?

The suggestion wasn't all of them - just some to raise the rather dismal
6 trains/hour through the Liverpool St-Aldgate East curve.

I'm speculating, but you could terminate an extra three District Line
trains per hour at Mansion House and Tower Hill, freeing up 6 paths from
Aldgate East eastwards which could be used for a met service through to
somewhere and doubling the service through from Liverpool Street to
the east end.

Maybe that would be a little ambitious, but as soon as a single train
goes awry on that stretch you can quite easily double your expected
journey times (Aldgate East to Paddington is 10 stops or roughly 20
minutes, and a lost train can mean a 20 minute wait for the next one)
Old August 17th 15, 02:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:59:50 on Mon, 17 Aug
2015, Steve Fitzgerald ] remarked:
You can't to terminate S stock at Mansion House so that will not be an
option from next year when the last D stock goes. Mansion House bay
road is then due to be removed.

Is the bay too short? Can it not be lengthened.
Old August 17th 15, 02:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 8/17/2015 2:59 PM, Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message , Someone Somewhere
writes
I'm speculating, but you could terminate an extra three District Line
trains per hour at Mansion House and Tower Hill, freeing up 6 paths
from Aldgate East eastwards which could be used for a met service
through to somewhere and doubling the service through from Liverpool
Street to the east end.

You can't to terminate S stock at Mansion House so that will not be an
option from next year when the last D stock goes. Mansion House bay
road is then due to be removed.

Tower Hill is already heavily used by up to 6 trains an hour. You run
the risk of problems with the timetable if you try and put too may more
in there. It's already the plan to extend more District line trains to
BKG anyway.

More districts aren't what's really needed - there are lots of them -
it's more somethings from Aldgate East to Liverpool Street.

Are you saying it's jus tnot possible, full stop? Could they not have
planned to re-instate the reversals at Whitechapel following the
crossrail work perhaps?