Old September 1st 15, 08:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Woolwich

Google Earth shows what looks like a open cutting on the DLR just east
of Woolwich Arsenal station. Is that correct? I thought the station
itself was quite deep.

Old September 2nd 15, 08:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 1 Sep 2015 21:23:16 +0100
Basil Jet wrote:
Google Earth shows what looks like a open cutting on the DLR just east
of Woolwich Arsenal station. Is that correct? I thought the station
itself was quite deep.

Thats the national rail line.

--
Spud

Old September 2nd 15, 05:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015\09\02 16:26, Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Wed, 2 Sep 2015 13:59:49 +0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2015\09\02 10:44, y wrote:
On Wed, 2 Sep 2015 10:06:20 +0100
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2015\09\02 09:26,
y wrote:
On Tue, 1 Sep 2015 21:23:16 +0100
Basil Jet wrote:
Google Earth shows what looks like a open cutting on the DLR just east
of Woolwich Arsenal station. Is that correct? I thought the station
itself was quite deep.

Thats the national rail line.

No, north of that.

Oh that. Yeah, probably the DLR. I've only been there once but I don't
remember the station being particularly deep.

So I wonder why the DLR station isn't open to the air?

Isn't the station building above the platforms?

Dunno. Why are you replying to your own question with another question?

Because it wasn't my question. That question was my first post in this
thread. You need to learn to read.

It might be better if he just forgot how to type.

The reason I'm asking is because I have always thought the DLR branch to
Woolwich was a bit crap, but I didn't know why. I've figured it out.

If the Blackwall tunnel did not have major dual carriageways leading
north and south, not that many people would use it. After all, the
Rotherhithe tunnel has about half the capacity of Blackwall but never
seems to have traffic jams, partly because it doesn't connect that well
with anything on either side.

Well, the Woolwich DLR service ends just south of the river, connecting
with a line that runs along the south bank. On the north side the
service runs along the river bank in one direction and gives you nothing
northward or eastward. The city destination is not mush use unless you
want Tower Gateway, because the trains to Cannon Street are as quick.
Woolwich to Stratford is admittedly useful, but it wouldn't take *that*
much longer via Greenwich.

So they spent a lot of money on one of the few river crossings in East
London, but made it available to very few journeys. The tunnel is great
if you want to get from Erith to City Airport, but that's about it. All
sorts of journeys like Kidbrooke to Becontree, where a crow's flight
route passes over the tunnel, have to take wildly circuitous routes
using a different river crossing, such as Cannon Street Bridge.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Kidb...3e3?force=lite

So I think they should run a tram...
Harold Hill
Collier Row (which I think has been the most populous area in London
with no railway since New Addington got its tram in 1999)
Newbury Park Stn
Ilford Stn
Barking Stn
Gallions Reach Stn
King George V Stn (reverse)
Woolwich Arsenal Stn
Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Eltham Stn
Mottingham Stn
Grove Park Stn
(takeover Sundridge Park line)
Bromley North
Bromley South

It would use the DLR Beckton depot, if there's room, but the vehicles
would have both pantographs and DLR shoes.