Old October 7th 15, 04:10 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Nice try but I'm not going to do your homework for you. You could
look through back copies of various trade magazines or you could
contact TfL directly. You could even try the Internet. (I believe TfL
now has a new on-line magazine for taxi drivers. Ask there)
Old October 7th 15, 04:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL Taxi Consultation to "kill" Uber

On 07/10/2015 15:30, Roland Perry wrote:

JNugent remarked:

Since anyone can become a black cab driver if they want to learn the
knowledge I really don't see the problem.

I'd be a bit disappointed if convicted sex offenders could.

They can't.
At least, not in London.
Maybe - just - if the conviction was 40 years ago.

So not "anyone" then. Glad we got that clarified.

Not sure what you mean.

The conditions - including character requirements - for starting "on the
Knowledge" are not a secret and are displayed on the PCO website.
Old October 7th 15, 04:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 07/10/2015 15:32, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 15:21:40 on Wed, 7 Oct
2015, JNugent remarked:

{re the Three network:]

it also applies at the same rates (ie, inclusive) in the USA and loads
of other places.

That'll be the "Feel at Home" destinations, a whole 18 countries out of
200. And has all sorts of anomalies - covering France and Switzerland,
but not Belgium and the Netherlands, for example.

Gift horses, mouths, etc.
The USA is a useful place for it to work, wouldn't you say?

Only if one goes there often enough. I used to spend much more time in
Netherlands and Belgium than the USA. Although Switzerland was probably
3rd and France 4th.

Give it time.

We can all recall when PAYG phones didn't work outside the UK at all.

Old October 7th 15, 04:28 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
On 2015-10-06 18:36:20 +0000, Robin9 said:

I hope that the more alert minicab companies, like Addison Lee,
Keen and Greyhound will offer the same app-based service that
Uber are providing and give Uber some real competition.

Apparently Addison Lee have:
http://www.addisonlee.com/apps/

They appear to be specifically pushing the lack of surge pricing as a
selling point.

Neil
--
Neil Williams
Thank you for that. I find that encouraging.
Old October 7th 15, 04:50 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 20:36:20 +0200
Robin9 wrote:
y;150682 Wrote:
On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 07:12:13 +0200
Robin9
wrote:-
The scare propaganda is FUD put out by the black cab trade
because they are not willing to compete in the open market on
even terms and want instead to have their competition made
illegal.-

Presumably Ubers fake taxis are FUD too?

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/ubers-phantom-cabs

And lets not forget about their "surge" pricing, when black cabs and
most
minicabs have a fixed rate.

And are you so naive to believe that if Uber did put all the black cabs
and minicabs out of business their prices would somehow remain low?

Uber is nothing more than another bunch of silicon valley slimeballs who
move
in unregulated to make a fast buck, disrupting other operators in the
process
who have to follow the law, THEN they comply with the law if they're
forced to.
And you think this is a business model to admire?

--
Spud

What fake taxis are you talking about? I'm not aware that
Uber deploy fake taxis and TfL are not either. To the best
of my knowledge Uber drivers use conventional saloon cars
like the Toyota Prius.

Here's an idea - how about reading the website I conveniently gave you a
link to first before posting drivel.

Uber are not disrupting other service providers. They are competing
with them and they are not unregulated. TfL have confirmed that Uber
are conforming to the same regulations as other London minicab firms.

Oh really? So Uber saying they conform is good enough is it? Anyone done
any spot checks? Its rather easy with a minicab firm that has an office, not
so much when its just some guy with a car and a phone linked to customers
via a server in the USA.

How this eventually plays out, no-one knows. The black cab trade
clearly hasn't the first clue how to compete with Uber and I suspect
that small, local minicab firms do not realise that their days are
numbered.

Apparently you don't realise that not everyone is a 20-something with a
smartphone who is happy using some program - sorry, "app" - to order a cab.
Minicabs might go out of business one day but it'll be years yet.

--
Spud
Here's an idea: why don't you just answer the question?

No-one is taking Uber's word for anything. It's TfL who has
said that Uber are abiding by the regulations.

As I don't have a smart phone myself, I am well aware that
many people manage without them. However you don't seem
to understand that minicab firms need a level of regular
business to retain drivers and survive. If, as several posters in
this thread have said, people prefer to use Uber when booking
a car from a location far from home, this inevitably means that
local minicab firms in that location lose some of their work. It is
also certain that once people have signed up with Uber, they
will start using them instead of their local minicab firm.

At some point the better drivers will desert their cab firm and
join Uber . . . and the cab firm derives its income from the
drivers.
Old October 7th 15, 05:16 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

It isn't a minicab firm's responsibility to do background checks
on drivers. It's TfL's job to ensure that prescribed checks have
been done properly, and only then to give a driver his licence.
It's the minicab firm's duty not to give work to anyone who does
not have a TfL licence to work as a minicab driver.