Old February 22nd 04, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oops - (was Northern Line future)

"Ian F." wrote in message
"Bradley H. Davis" wrote in message
.. .

Why do the drivers of the train waiting on the northbound Charing Cross
platform

*At Kennington*...

Ian

Old February 22nd 04, 09:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Northern Line future

Ian F. wrote:
"Bradley H. Davis" wrote in message
.. .

Anytime.

Right - you asked for it! ;-)

Why do the drivers of the train waiting on the northbound Charing
Cross platform always time it so that the minute the northbound City
line train arrives, they take off, leaving those of us changing lines
to wait for the next one? It's almost as though they do it on purpose
- you should hear some of the comments! Surely it can't hurt to wait
and extra 30 seconds?

Well, yes, it *can* hurt. If you are running a service at 2-minute
intervals, then an extra 30 seconds means a 25% increase in headway,
which means a 25% increase in the number of passengers waiting at the
next station. At busy times, that will increase the dwell time at the
station, which then increases the number of passengers at subsequent
stations even further, which then increases the dwell time even further,
and so on. Are you seriously suggesting that you should get priority
over the many hundreds of passengers that would be delayed by holding
the trains especially for you?

--
Richard J.

Old February 22nd 04, 10:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message

Well, yes, it *can* hurt. If you are running a service at 2-minute
intervals, then an extra 30 seconds means a 25% increase in headway,
which means a 25% increase in the number of passengers waiting at the
next station. At busy times, that will increase the dwell time at the
station, which then increases the number of passengers at subsequent
stations even further, which then increases the dwell time even further,
and so on. Are you seriously suggesting that you should get priority
over the many hundreds of passengers that would be delayed by holding
the trains especially for you?

I see your point, but it's just like it's done to annoy. Is it not possible
for the schedules be planned in such a way as to meet incoming City branch
trains - at least for the Charing Cross trains that actually start from
Kennington?

Ian

Old February 22nd 04, 10:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Ian F.) wrote:

"Bradley H. Davis" wrote in message
.. .

Anytime.

Right - you asked for it! ;-)

Why do the drivers of the train waiting on the northbound Charing Cross
platform always time it so that the minute the northbound City line
train
arrives, they take off, leaving those of us changing lines to wait for
the
next one? It's almost as though they do it on purpose - you should hear
some
of the comments! Surely it can't hurt to wait and extra 30 seconds?

Ian

Drivers should always wait for connections, and that is what trainees are
taught. However, the driver doesn't always know a train is coming in on
the other platform (Stockwell SB is a good example of this). If the air
conditioning is on in the cab, that can tend to drown out the noise of an
approaching train and often the only indication a driver has is when he
sees the passengers crossing over. This is compounded at Stockwell because
the driver will often assume that any train noise he hears is the NB
Northern Line which is easily heard through the nearby cross passage. At
Kennington it is a bit easier to hear if there is an approaching train and
the 30-40 seconds can be easily made up.

I will normally wait if I know there is a train approaching at an
interchange station, and will always wait if I see passengers crossing
over. However, when there is a two minute service and I see on the
destination board that the train behind me is only a minute away, I will
not usually wait if the approaching train hasn't actually berthed in the
platform as, by the time the passengers start to get off and walk across,
I could have left and the train behind me started to come into the
platform. If i wait, I will be holding that train (and) others) in the
tunnel behind me.

Roger
Old February 23rd 04, 07:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

snipsnippitysnipsnip

Thanks for the explanation, Roger, which is easy to understand for we
non-transporttechies and a breath of fresh air to everyone who, like me,
thinks that the majority of tube drivers don't give a monkey's about the
poor, miserable punters. Long may you drive!

Ian

Old February 23rd 04, 09:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Bradley H. Davis" wrote in message
.. .

I am a driver on the Northern and before I went off on a two week

vacation,
the *rumour* was that regular service to all Northern Line destinations

via
both Bank and Charing Cross was being resumed on March 7. As I don't go

back
there until Tuesday night I can't confirm this. I know this isn't exactly
concrete information, but that's the last I heard!!

Thanks Bradley. If you hear anything more, could you let us know?

Alan

Old February 23rd 04, 09:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
There is a new timetable in place now that restores old service
frequencies but with the fixed service pattern.

The new crossover is in place but fixed out of use. The testing and
assurance process is being done now. I had to review documentation about
testing equipment today so testing work can occur tonight. There were
also tests last night. The intention is to ensure the new installation
is fully safe to brought into full "moving" service and that depends on
the results gathered from the tests. On the assumption everything gets
signed off then I understand there is a time period before the all
singing, all dancing service pattern can be brought back into use. I am
afraid I do not know how long that time period is. I can assure you
that a lot of work is being done to get the service restored.

Hope that helps.
--
Paul C

Thanks Paul. Didn't realise LU staff read this group! I guess I just wanted
to know what the intention was as I'd heard "Ken had spoken" and said the
line was going to stay in its present state.

Alan

Old February 23rd 04, 11:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Robin May) wrote:

wrote the following in:

I will normally wait if I know there is a train approaching at an
interchange station, and will always wait if I see passengers
crossing over. However, when there is a two minute service and I
see on the destination board that the train behind me is only a
minute away, I will not usually wait if the approaching train
hasn't actually berthed in the platform as, by the time the
passengers start to get off and walk across, I could have left and
the train behind me started to come into the platform. If i wait,
I will be holding that train (and) others) in the tunnel behind
me.

It's nice to know that there are people with such a well thought out
and considerate attitude to their work.

It isn't just me, I think you'll find that most drivers will do the same.
However, as with anything, you will always have the few people whose sole
purpose in life seems to be to deliberately annoy people. There is one bus
driver who deliberately stops in the wrong place at bus stops, another who
seems to take delight in stopping with the only set of doors directly
opposite the bus stop post to make it difficult to get on and off the bus.
But, again, it is only the odd one or two who do these things.

Roger