Old February 20th 04, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Routemasters in Parliament.

Viscount Hailsham is Member for Sleaford and North Hykeham.
Viscount Thurso is Member for Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross.
The Earl of Ancram (which is a courtesy title) is Member for Devizes.

these are de-frocked Lords....and do not have the right to sit in the upper
chamber......i'm not 100% sure of my law but i think you can call your self
anyything you like as long as you dont comit a fraud.

a fraud

Old February 20th 04, 10:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Proctor46 wrote:
Viscount Hailsham is Member for Sleaford and North Hykeham.
Viscount Thurso is Member for Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross.
The Earl of Ancram (which is a courtesy title) is Member for Devizes.

these are de-frocked Lords

They are not de-frocked, if by that you mean that they have had to
renounce their peerages.

Viscount Hailsham (Douglas Hogg) succeeded to the title on the death of
his father in 2001, but under the House of Lords Act 1999, he has no
automatic right as a hereditary peer to sit in the House of Lords. He
therefore continues to be an MP in the Commons.

Viscount Thurso succeeded to the title in 1995 and sat in the House of
Lords until 1999. He did not stand in the election to decide which
hereditary peers should continue to sit in the Lords. He was elected an
MP at the 2001 election.

"Earl of Ancram" is a courtesy title that Michael Kerr, who calls
himself Michael Ancram, is entitled to use as the eldest son of the
Marquess of Lothian.

....and do not have the right to sit in the upper chamber

Agreed.

......i'm not 100% sure of my law but i think you can call
your self anyything you like as long as you dont comit a fraud.

- of which "Michael Ancram" is an example.
--
Richard J.

Old February 21st 04, 01:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

David Boothroyd wrote:
In article ,
"Richard J." wrote:

"Earl of Ancram" is a courtesy title that Michael Kerr, who calls
himself Michael Ancram, is entitled to use as the eldest son of the
Marquess of Lothian.

All this is correct, but Michael Ancram's full name is
Michael Andrew Foster Jude Kerr Ancram. Kerr is not and never has
been his surname. The family name of the Marquesses of Lothian is
Ancram, and our Mike is heir to the Marquessate and so gets the
subsidiary Earldom of Ancram as a courtesy title (which he doesn't
use).

What's your source for that claim about his surname? There are a great
many websites that quote Kerr as the family name, including this one at
Burke's Peerage Scotland:
http://www.burkes-peerage.net/sites/...ERR-AZ-389.asp
Also, his daughters use the surname Kerr.

--
Richard J.

Old February 21st 04, 01:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Hmmmmmmm.....Maybe I should have left out the Lords an Ladies
bit.........Now it looks more like it could end up as..."Be upstanding in
Court !!"

Old February 21st 04, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

e: Routemasters in Parliament.

Hmmmmmmm.....Maybe I should have left out the Lords an Ladies
bit.........Now it looks more like it could end up as..."Be upstanding in
Court !!"

Very Good!