Old August 25th 03, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Last weekend for Routemasters on Route 15

"Jonathan" -this-bit wrote in message ...
I understand this weekend (23/24 August) is the last weekend that
Routemasters will operate on route 15 (Paddington - Blackwall Station) and
the final day of operation will be Friday 29 August. Without getting into
the pros and cons of RMLs - I suspect it will be a nostalgic time for many.
remember route 15 from the 1960s - when it ran from Ladbrooke Groove to East
Ham (White Horse). I for one will be having a last ride.
Jonathan

--

What're they being replaced with?

Old September 3rd 03, 01:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london
I@n I@n is offline

Sunny Dale wrote:
Replaced by standard TA/TAS's from U. Some of the RM's have gone to
BW with Route 8. Extensive discussion on smartgroups about the event
and also about RM routes.

If San Francisco can continue to operate it's wonderful cable cars on three
"tourist/commuter" routes, I don't see why London can't maintain
routemasters on a couple of high-tourist-traffic routes. The 15 with all the
sights it passes would be ideal.

Sorry if this has been suggested on "smartgroups" but I don't know what that
is.

Old September 3rd 03, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 02:08:05 +0100, "I@n" wrote:

If San Francisco can continue to operate it's wonderful cable cars on three
"tourist/commuter" routes, I don't see why London can't maintain
routemasters on a couple of high-tourist-traffic routes. The 15 with all the
sights it passes would be ideal.

Sorry if this has been suggested on "smartgroups" but I don't know what that
is.

It has been suggested by the Managing Director of London Buses.

However, if you're going to run a 'heritage' route, you'd pick a
special one for tourists. The mainstream bus network is not, despite
what the London Tourist Board think, a museum!

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk
Old September 3rd 03, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Robert Woolley
writes
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 02:08:05 +0100, "I@n" wrote:

If San Francisco can continue to operate it's wonderful cable cars on three
"tourist/commuter" routes, I don't see why London can't maintain
routemasters on a couple of high-tourist-traffic routes. The 15 with all the
sights it passes would be ideal.

Sorry if this has been suggested on "smartgroups" but I don't know what that
is.

It has been suggested by the Managing Director of London Buses.

However, if you're going to run a 'heritage' route, you'd pick a
special one for tourists.

The 15 (along with the 9 and the 11) do in my view count as "special
ones for tourists", although I obviously accept that they have an
important transport function as well.

The mainstream bus network is not, despite
what the London Tourist Board think, a museum!

I've never heard the LTB suggest that it is. I've heard *many*
visitors express a desire for a ride on an RM, though.

I'd always thought that when "the Day" comes, when Routemasters are
finally withdrawn from "regular" service, that some would continue ad
infinitum, a la San Francisco cable cars or Melbourne W class trams on
routes most frequented by tourists/visitors. I had always, somehow, in
my own mid, envisaged these as the 9, 11 and 15, too.

Just my two penn'orth.......
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for

Old September 4th 03, 04:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote in message ...

I'd always thought that when "the Day" comes, when Routemasters are
finally withdrawn from "regular" service, that some would continue ad
infinitum, a la San Francisco cable cars or Melbourne W class trams on
routes most frequented by tourists/visitors. I had always, somehow, in
my own mid, envisaged these as the 9, 11 and 15, too.

Just my two penn'orth.......

On BBC London this week Sir Kenneth confirmed the intention is to keep
some Routemasters in service on tourist routes.
Old September 4th 03, 05:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJG CJG is offline

In message , umpston
writes
On BBC London this week Sir Kenneth confirmed the intention is to keep
some Routemasters in service on tourist routes.

Do they still have conductors? And do they collect fares in central
London?
--
CJG
Old September 4th 03, 08:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 18:44:56 +0100, CJG
wrote:

Do they still have conductors? And do they collect fares in central
London?

Yes and yes, not necessarily in that order

However, Routemasters are now being delayed by people asking if they
can pay on board... I think there needs to be an advertising
campaign stating this if it is to continue.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.