Old February 21st 04, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Capital Travel cards

Hi
What are Capital Travel cards and were can I find some info on them
and I am right in saying they allow you to travel on overground trains
in the same way as travel cards allow you to travel on the tube within
certain areas

TIA

Old February 21st 04, 10:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Osiris Luxor
writes

What are Capital Travel cards and were can I find some info on them

Never heard of them.

and I am right in saying they allow you to travel on overground trains
in the same way as travel cards allow you to travel on the tube within
certain areas

Normal travelcards don't just cover the underground - they include
buses, trams, the DLR and overground trains in the zones for which they
are valid:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...velcards.shtml

Note that an LT card doesn't include overground trains, but standard
travelcards do.

--
Paul Terry
Old February 21st 04, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry typed

In message , Osiris Luxor
writes

What are Capital Travel cards and were can I find some info on them

Never heard of them.

Me neither, but I'd *guess* that they're one of those cards available to
foreign visitors.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old February 21st 04, 01:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
: Paul Terry typed
: Osiris Luxor:

: What are Capital Travel cards and were can I find some info on them

: Never heard of them.

: Me neither, but I'd *guess* that they're one of those cards available to
: foreign visitors.

Those I know as "Visitor Travelcard". However, I seem to recall that the
Travelcard scheme was indeed called "Capitalcard" when first introduced
more than 20 years ago.

.... Martin
Old February 21st 04, 03:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Osiris Luxor" wrote in message
Hi
What are Capital Travel cards and were can I find some info on them
and I am right in saying they allow you to travel on overground trains
in the same way as travel cards allow you to travel on the tube within
certain areas

When travelcards were first introduced, they wern't valid on British Rail
services. Capitalcards were more expensive than travelcards but allowed
travel on British Rail services.

Old February 21st 04, 03:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Martin Bienwald" wrote in message
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
: Paul Terry typed
: Osiris Luxor:

: What are Capital Travel cards and were can I find some info on them

: Never heard of them.

: Me neither, but I'd *guess* that they're one of those cards available to
: foreign visitors.

Those I know as "Visitor Travelcard". However, I seem to recall that the
Travelcard scheme was indeed called "Capitalcard" when first introduced
more than 20 years ago.

And indeed, until the late eighties, there were indeed two products: one
called "Travelcard" that didn't give access to BR (i.e. what we'd now call
an "LT Card") and one called "Capitalcard" that did. The two were merged
under the Travelcard brand somewhere around 1989.

Methinks somebody is operating out of a really old London guidebook...

Old February 21st 04, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 10:36:20 +0000 (UTC), Osiris Luxor
wrote:

Hi
What are Capital Travel cards and were can I find some info on them
and I am right in saying they allow you to travel on overground trains
in the same way as travel cards allow you to travel on the tube within
certain areas

I think you have a long memory. Many years ago there were separate
tickets - Travelcards and Capitalcards. The Travelcard was LT services
only while the Capitalcard was charged at a higher price because it
provided BR services as well.

However both tickets were merged into the Travelcard product which now
provides for travel on buses, tubes, national rail trains, trams and DLR
within the zones for which you buy it. As there is now just one bus zone
in London any Travelcard gives you the right to travel on any TfL bus
within the Greater London area.
--
Paul C

Old February 21st 04, 10:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Hi
What are Capital Travel cards and were can I find some info on them
and I am right in saying they allow you to travel on overground trains
in the same way as travel cards allow you to travel on the tube within
certain areas

In the very early days of travelcards, the ordinary travelcards didn't
cover British Rail services, as they then were, but you could buy a
'Capitalcard' which could be used on British Rail. At some point the
'Capitalcard' name was dropped and the standard travelcards extended
to include British Rail and its successors. This happened around 1987
so you have picked up some rather out-of-date information

Martin

Old February 23rd 04, 11:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Alistair Bell
), in message M%LZb.375019$na.566908@attbi_s04
who said:

Those I know as "Visitor Travelcard". However, I seem to recall that
the Travelcard scheme was indeed called "Capitalcard" when first
introduced more than 20 years ago.

And indeed, until the late eighties, there were indeed two products:
one called "Travelcard" that didn't give access to BR (i.e. what we'd
now call an "LT Card") and one called "Capitalcard" that did. The two
were merged under the Travelcard brand somewhere around 1989.

Methinks somebody is operating out of a really old London guidebook...

It's all good nostalgia though.

I remember getting the occasional capitalcard as a child in the 1980s - it
were really exciting back then, like drinking Quatro or eating a King Cone.

I often stay awake wondering who ate the last ever King Cone.

BTN

Old February 23rd 04, 06:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Ben Nunn wrote:

I often stay awake wondering who ate the last ever King Cone.

nobody - it's in a cryogenic freezer in a bunker deep beneath the MI5
building.

tom

--
Exceptions say, there was a problem. Someone must deal with it. If you won't deal with it, I'll find someone who will.