Old November 5th 15, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Old People & Front Doors on Buses

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 08:33:54 -0800 (PST), Offramp
wrote:

On Thursday, 5 November 2015 15:41:04 UTC, Richard J. wrote:

The OP's obvious exaggeration doesn't help his case.

"We are meant to board buses by the front door and alight by the centre doors.

Why do old people only want to use the front doors for both?

The facility of egress would seem identical."

I can't see any exaggeration there.

In a sense, you are right. I have no doubt it happens, much to your
disgust. But most of the responses have been about why it happens,
not about denying your assertion. The only part of your diatribe that
can be challenged is that the facililty of egress seems identical.
You now have plenty of evidence that your assumption is incorrect - at
least in the perception of the elderly, among whom I am happy to be
counted..

Guy Gorton

Old November 5th 15, 07:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 14:54:11 +0000, David C wrote:

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 02:15:12 -0800 (PST), Offramp
wrote:

We are meant to board buses by the front door and alight by the centre doors.

Why do old people only want to use the front doors for both?

The facility of egress would seem identical.

All our local buses, (S.E.Essex) have but the one door, (at the
front..........) so when we venture into the Capital we are confuzzled
& panciked by this strange extra door.

As for Oyster Readers which don't work with our bus
passes...............

Well, they will one day. It's a shame that the rest of the country is
door-poor, it wasn't always the case of course.

As for old people at the front -- if it's easier (kneeling bus, at the
kerb, proximity of seats) then good luck to them, and this use should
be formalised and stickered. What about the confused/cunning masses,
none of them old, who think they can get on at the centre door of any
bus? I think they're more of a hazard. Is it time to make any door
boarding and alighting standard on all London's buses -- just as many
countries are going in the opposite direction? (France, and to a
lesser extent, Germany.)

Richard.
Old November 5th 15, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Do any London buses (apart from Boris buses) have Oyster readers other than
at the front?

Old November 6th 15, 02:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 05/11/2015 10:15, Offramp wrote:
We are meant to board buses by the front door and alight by the centre doors.

Why do old people only want to use the front doors for both?

The facility of egress would seem identical.

We were brought up to be polite and say thankyou to the driver?

---

Old November 6th 15, 03:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

New Routemasters and the Citaros used on routes 507 and 521 have them in other places too. Not on the top deck though with the New Routemasters.
Old November 6th 15, 03:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/11/2015 15:26, Peter Lawrence wrote:

On 05/11/2015 10:15, Offramp wrote:
We are meant to board buses by the front door and alight by the
centre doors.

Why do old people only want to use the front doors for both?

The facility of egress would seem identical.

We were brought up to be polite and say thankyou to the driver?

I try and give a noticeable wave to the exterior mirror on alighting.
Not sure how effective this is.

Re the OP's point - my experience differs, most people including the
elderly (whatever that means nowadays) use the centre doors for alighting.
Old November 6th 15, 03:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

The Boris buses do have them on each of the three doors.

Old November 7th 15, 08:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Friday, 6 November 2015 16:52:35 UTC, Recliner wrote:

Do any London buses (apart from Boris buses) have Oyster readers other than at the front?

The Boris buses do have them on each of the three doors.

I think Boris Buses have them as well.

Old November 7th 15, 08:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Offramp wrote:
On Friday, 6 November 2015 16:52:35 UTC, Recliner wrote:

Do any London buses (apart from Boris buses) have Oyster readers other than at the front?

The Boris buses do have them on each of the three doors.

I think Boris Buses have them as well.

Have I missed some subtlety in that response?